Value of: Jared McCann to your team

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
What would the ask be from the Avs? I think he would solidify the center depth on the team as the 3C. If he signs for somewhere around $3m on his next deal that should be manageable even with the big contract extensions coming up for Landeskog and Makar.

Reactions: Richard88

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I like Gambrell though, He's a C and has good offensive skill. His stats in the AHL/NCAA show there might be some untapped offense there.

I don't know if he's any good defensively though, probably not.

Gambrell is fine defensively. Personally, I don't think he's got the offensive skills to carve out a long career in the NHL but he can be a solid all-around bottom six forward. Just not going to wow you offensively but he can shore up certain things to be okay.

Is there any idea on what Pittsburgh is doing with their goaltending yet? I'm sure the Sharks would have interest in either Jarry or DeSmith. Murray is probably too expensive for them.

Reactions: Gecklund

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What would the ask be from the Avs? I think he would solidify the center depth on the team as the 3C. If he signs for somewhere around $3m on his next deal that should be manageable even with the big contract extensions coming up for Landeskog and Makar.

I'd ask for one of 3 things:

1. Same or similar return to what Burakovsky brought back, a 2nd and 3rd or something like that
2. Take on JJ and get McCann for free
3. A NHL ready RD with middle pair upside

I think 1 is definitely doable, I don't see the Avs doing 2 but 3 may work too. Would the Avs do Timmins for McCann?

Gambrell is fine defensively. Personally, I don't think he's got the offensive skills to carve out a long career in the NHL but he can be a solid all-around bottom six forward. Just not going to wow you offensively but he can shore up certain things to be okay.

Is there any idea on what Pittsburgh is doing with their goaltending yet?
I'm sure the Sharks would have interest in either Jarry or DeSmith. Murray is probably too expensive for them.

If the Penguins lose to the Habs, I definitely think they move Murray and keep Jarry. Murray has played well in the playoffs, but they need a shake-up if they lose to the Habs and Murray is the obvious guy to go in that situation.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

1. Same or similar return to what Burakovsky brought back, a 2nd and 3rd or something like that

I think 1 is definitely doable, I don't see the Avs doing 2 but 3 may work too. Would the Avs do Timmins for McCann?

If the Penguins lose to the Habs, I definitely think they move Murray and keep Jarry. Murray has played well in the playoffs, but they need a shake-up if they lose to the Habs and Murray is the obvious guy to go in that situation.
Just kind of spitballing but would something like TBL 1st+COL 2nd+Gambrell+Sorensen for Murray+McCann be something that would work? Basically Murray adds another 2nd and moves the other one up about 8 spots. You still got Jarry and DeSmith there. Don’t know how I feel about it either way though.
@Pinkfloyd

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just kind of spitballing but would something like TBL 1st+COL 2nd+Gambrell+Sorensen for Murray+McCann be something that would work? Basically Murray adds another 2nd and moves the other one up about 8 spots. You still got Jarry and DeSmith there. Don’t know how I feel about it either way though.
@Pinkfloyd

I don't think the value is "bad", but I'd rather just split up the two into 2 separate trades instead of jamming both into 1.

I think Murray for TBL's 1st alone is fair, so I'm not crazy about the decrease in pick on the McCann side but it's not terrible.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don't think the value is "bad", but I'd rather just split up the two into 2 separate trades instead of jamming both into 1.

I think Murray for TBL's 1st alone is fair, so I'm not crazy about the decrease in pick on the McCann side but it's not terrible.
The other thing I was thinking was switching Gambrell for Kniazev but then I saw you said RD and he’s a LD.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
@Pinkfloyd

I'm not exactly a fan of trading for Murray. I think he'll be too pricey with his next contract and I don't think it'll match what his output will be. Plus trading a 1st to do that is something I will balk at. If it's DeSmith for some mid-round pick, it's one thing but a 1st for Murray is not my cup of tea. I suppose it's possible that Pittsburgh gets that in a deal but I lean towards them getting a 2nd or getting rid of someone like Bjugstad for scraps as what happens there.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Is there any idea on what Pittsburgh is doing with their goaltending yet? I'm sure the Sharks would have interest in either Jarry or DeSmith. Murray is probably too expensive for them.

Not moving Jarry.

Desmith or Murray can be had.

Not sure Murray will cost much with his season.

Reactions: CF Punk

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
[QUOTE="Luckylarry, post: 172830301, member: 285023"]You can try to convince yourself and others that the effects of the flat cap era on McCann level players won’t be evident, but it will. Top players will continue to earn big cap dollars, because there is a limited quantity. Players like McCann’s level will get less (and have less value) because there are a lot of them, and they can easily be replaced, especially by young players on ELCs.

A 4 million difference is the cost of 1 middling-level player. Teams that planned to have middle-six guys like McCann around will find themselves needing to jettison them.

I think mid-tier players will certainly feel a squeeze.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO

1) If the Avs trade off Jost and Zadorov and recoup some picks for this draft, I could see them pulling the trigger on McCann for a 2nd + 3rd. Not having a 2nd right now will hurt them come the offseason, I think.
2) There's just no way the Avs could take on JJ's contract right now with the flat cap and their own guys to sign in the coming years. Especially since he'll have 3 years left after this year when the Avs will be looking to contend.
3) Regarding Timmins, that is a really difficult question to answer. The Avs FO is SUPER high on him, high enough to bring him with to Edmonton and to have him start in the NHL last year, so I don't think they'd do that. His value to the Avs right now is higher than his value to other teams, especially given the injury issues he's gone through recently.

I'd be more than okay giving up that 1st package for McCann, but I don't think the Avs could work within the realm of the other two. Just too much at stake for the Avs' future if they take on JJ's contract or trade away Timmins.

Reactions: Richard88

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not moving Jarry.

Desmith or Murray can be had.

Not sure Murray will cost much with his season.

I don't know what his cost would be in a trade nor in a contract. I'd think his contract would approach 5 mil but I don't want to pay that for him. I'm not sure what DeSmith's trade cost would be but if the idea is to move on from Murray, you guys are probably better off keeping him to back up Jarry.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Ryan Johnson and 2nd or 3rd? Or Brandon Montour. Both are RHD, but nobody knows what Johnson is gonna do next year (either back to school or NHL contract/AHL playing time). Montour is basically just swapping out a RFA position of "strength" for the Sabres for a RFA where we badly need help.

Otherwise, take Mittelstadt and Johnson for McCann plus some B-list prospect?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ryan Johnson and 2nd or 3rd? Or Brandon Montour. Both are RHD, but nobody knows what Johnson is gonna do next year (either back to school or NHL contract/AHL playing time). Montour is basically just swapping out a RFA position of "strength" for the Sabres for a RFA where we badly need help.

Otherwise, take Mittelstadt and Johnson for McCann plus some B-list prospect?

I'd be really happy with McCann for Montour if I knew I could sign Montour to a reasonable deal.

Whatever happened to Bjugstad? Is he just an overpaid 3C?

Injuries killed him.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I'd be really happy with McCann for Montour if I knew I could sign Montour to a reasonable deal.

Injuries killed him.

Yea that's the thing. We don't really know what Montour's camp is asking for. I'm thinking he'll get in the $4.5-5M range, maybe a bit more (~1.5K). It's just that we really can't play 4 RHD (or shouldn't, but you know...).

I'd be all over the swap, even if we can trade #8 for someone like Cirelli. I'd rather have a 2C having to play down on the third line than a LW playing 2C.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I would be onboard for a McCann - Montour swap. That seems like a good deal for both sides.

Reactions: wej20

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
The only way I'll move McCann is if somebody takes Nick Bjugstad as a cap dump.

So how bad do you guys want him? :laugh:

You mean JJ? Bjugstad could be traded in a different deal, or he can be bought out for like 600K cap hit, he's a SUPER cheap buyout so I am sure teams would easily take him with someone and buy him out.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
McCann is arbitration eligible. So if his numbers compare to those making $3 mill then that is the price range that it will cost to extend him.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Adam Erne and Brandon Perlini for McCann
I actually think Perlini would be worth a roll of the dice for the Pens, but it's because he's a long shot who should cost next to nothing.
Maybe you can talk them into something like that if JJ's contract goes the other way, but I'm confused as how these two nobody's are supposed to tempt Pittsburgh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad