Value of: Jared McCann to your team

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What would the ask be from the Avs? I think he would solidify the center depth on the team as the 3C. If he signs for somewhere around $3m on his next deal that should be manageable even with the big contract extensions coming up for Landeskog and Makar.

Beyond what was said, how would you feel about Cole and a 4th/B prospect or something? Or is Cole probably going to see his contract out there?

Reactions: Richard88

Strakanator

Sep 21, 2007
Why would the penguins trade McCann? This makes no sense. If cap space is needed, there are several guys to ship out before McCann.

McCann can also play wing and often looks better at wing. He is already good, still young, and will likely improve.

Shultzyfeelinirie25

Jun 29, 2018
I actually think Perlini would be worth a roll of the dice for the Pens, but it's because he's a long shot who should cost next to nothing.
Maybe you can talk them into something like that if JJ's contract goes the other way, but I'm confused as how these two nobody's are supposed to tempt Pittsburgh.
What about something like JJ with a little retention and mCann for Cholowski and Svechnikov

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
What about something like JJ with a little retention and mCann for Cholowski and Svechnikov

Not saying I’m interested at all...

But JJ at $2M per woukd be tolerable by teams.

If you think about cap hit slotting

With an $80.5M operating cap you might allocate $34M for D/G

$7M-$5M
$4M-$5M
$3M-$1M
$2M

$6M
$1M

So he fit in that 7th vet Dman slot

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Beyond what was said, how would you feel about Cole and a 4th/B prospect or something? Or is Cole probably going to see his contract out there?
I'd be fine with that. Cole provides a lot of leadership for the young guys on the team, and he's become a very reliable bottom-pairing dman, but there's a logjam on the Avs' D corps, and I, personally, think they need to get rid of 2 guys (Cole and Zadorov) to make room for Timmins and Byram to get playing time next year.

At the same time, I feel like that's valuing McCann a little lower than what he's worth, but if Pens fans are fine with it, then I think we have a deal.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd be fine with that. Cole provides a lot of leadership for the young guys on the team, and he's become a very reliable bottom-pairing dman, but there's a logjam on the Avs' D corps, and I, personally, think they need to get rid of 2 guys (Cole and Zadorov) to make room for Timmins and Byram to get playing time next year.

At the same time, I feel like that's valuing McCann a little lower than what he's worth, but if Pens fans are fine with it, then I think we have a deal.

Well if you want to give a little more you can :laugh: I just wasn't sure what to go with to make up the contract differences, so went a little low.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Well if you want to give a little more you can :laugh: I just wasn't sure what to go with to make up the contract differences, so went a little low.
:laugh: Maybe I'm just undervaluing Cole, but a higher pick would be more in line with what I would expect if Cole were the main piece in a McCann trade. Not a 1st, but maybe a late 2nd. I imagine the difference in ages between the two players would help McCann's value.

Reactions: Peat

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
:laugh: Maybe I'm just undervaluing Cole, but a higher pick would be more in line with what I would expect if Cole were the main piece in a McCann trade. Not a 1st, but maybe a late 2nd. I imagine the difference in ages between the two players would help McCann's value.

I know Cole is having a career season and I think he's a good fit for the Avs or any team that would acquire him, but I think a 2nd is too much for his value given the contract and I don't think the Avs are moving him at the deadline when they could recoup that kind of value so it would be a pre-season trade.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I know Cole is having a career season and I think he's a good fit for the Avs or any team that would acquire him, but I think a 2nd is too much for his value given the contract and I don't think the Avs are moving him at the deadline when they could recoup that kind of value so it would be a pre-season trade.
Huh, it sounds I need to look into McCann a little more. I've seen some of his highlights and have watched him pretty closely during the play-in rounds, and he looks like a decently fast defensive 3C. With the 2nd + 3rd price thrown out there earlier in the thread, I thought Cole + late 2nd would make sense, but I'll leave the value judgment to Pens fans since they would know McCann more than me.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I feel like JJ and McCann cancel each other's value out, so if you're willing to trade Cholowski for that, I'm definitely game for that :laugh:

Why would the penguins trade McCann? This makes no sense. If cap space is needed, there are several guys to ship out before McCann.

McCann can also play wing and often looks better at wing. He is already good, still young, and will likely improve.

A couple of reasons:

1. McCann is fairly redundant on the Penguins. They have Zucker, Guentzel and Poulin long-term on LW and they have Blueger, Bjugstad, Lafferty and Rodrigues as capable bottom-6 centers.
2. McCann played himself out of the lineup in the playoffs
3. Combining those two, I question if the Penguins would want to pay McCann fair price on an extension.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I see on capfriendly that McCann is listed as a healthy scratch and that he's missed one of Pittsburgh's play-in games. Is he injured, or why is he scratched?

Last edited:

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I'd ask for one of 3 things:

1. Same or similar return to what Burakovsky brought back, a 2nd and 3rd or something like that
2. Take on JJ and get McCann for free
3. A NHL ready RD with middle pair upside

I think 1 is definitely doable, I don't see the Avs doing 2 but 3 may work too. Would the Avs do Timmins for McCann?

If the Penguins lose to the Habs, I definitely think they move Murray and keep Jarry. Murray has played well in the playoffs, but they need a shake-up if they lose to the Habs and Murray is the obvious guy to go in that situation.

If Timmins gets moved (big if), then it would only be in a package for a legit top 6 forward.

That would be fine from Avs perspective. Would you alternatively be interested in Jost or Zadorov? Zadorov can play the right side so could be a good replacement for Schultz.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That would be fine from Avs perspective. Would you alternatively be interested in Jost or Zadorov? Zadorov can play the right side so could be a good replacement for Schultz.

Honestly don't know well enough to say. The dmen are probably more appealing to Jost for us, unless Jost screams misused guy just waiting to unlock his potential, and what little I know doesn't seem to suggest that.

And Cole played right side well on the Pens; I dunno where I'd be with him vs Zadorov if I knew both well, but obviously I know Cole's game very well and he'd be just what we need here.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I don't think anyone is moving a legit top-6 forward for a package headlined by Timmins. Maybe in a few years if he hits but definitely not now.
Anaheim fans are pretty positive about Timmins + 1st for Rakell,... isn't that right @Getz2noone?

I'm sure teams like Tampa, Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, and Winnipeg (to name a few teams needing RHD) would entertain offers involving Timmins as well.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I feel like JJ and McCann cancel each other's value out, so if you're willing to trade Cholowski for that, I'm definitely game for that :laugh:

A couple of reasons:

1. McCann is fairly redundant on the Penguins. They have Zucker, Guentzel and Poulin long-term on LW and they have Blueger, Bjugstad, Lafferty and Rodrigues as capable bottom-6 centers.
2. McCann played himself out of the lineup in the playoffs
3. Combining those two, I question if the Penguins would want to pay McCann fair price on an extension.

While his QO is low, that would just be to maintain his rights. Teams are going to review other contracts to RFAs to see what the comparables would be salary wise for McCann this off-season. That's ultimately the price that you will pay cap wise for him as he is arbitration eligible.

His second season as a pro he played 29 NHL games and 42 AHL games. So, to count that year as accrued towards UFA, he had to be on FLA's roster for 40 games. If he was not on the roster, then he still has 3 RFA years left. If he did manage to remain on the roster for 40 games, then he would accrue that year and be 2 years away from UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad