Jared Cowen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Had a bad start to the season yet managed to be a plus most the year. Recently scored an own goal but imo overall his play has been dramatically improving and he's been carrying the karlsson pairing. Consider this, Karlsson leads the league(or is near the top) in turnovers and is a minus 11 yet Cowen has manages to remain a plus and has looked pretty good these last few games despite many of us seeing karl struggle. Cowen cant be playing as poorly as people think he is.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
he's been good. bad luck play tonight (off a bad decision play)

he will continue to improve. he's 22

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He has to relax and not try to make game-breaking plays all the time.

It's what gets him into trouble.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
Had a bad start to the season yet managed to be a plus most the year. Recently scored an own goal but imo overall his play has been dramatically improving and he's been carrying the karlsson pairing. Consider this, Karlsson leads the league(or is near the top) in turnovers and is a minus 11 yet Cowen has manages to remain a plus and has looked pretty good these last few games despite many of us seeing karl struggle. Cowen cant be playing as poorly as people think he is.

+/- is a terrible indicator of a players defensive play

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I've liked his game lately for sure. I just wish he'd settle down and not try to create offense so often. Paired with EK he needs to just play a Marc Staal kind of game. Just relax and don't try to do too much. Get it to EK, dump it in, chip it up... stop being the guy who rushes with the puck etc. That was what Methot did so well when he was EK's partner. Methot knew his role and did it. You see Methot move the puck much more often when he's with Gryba or whomever, but with EK he knows he's the free safety.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010

Among our defensemen, the only guy to score at a slower pace per game is Gryba. Meanwhile, Cowen plays serious minutes, and for the past month plus, they've been alongside the highest scoring defenseman in the game.

He's an offensive black hole given his TOI. In fact, he's a back hole in terms of possession because he lacks basic passing and puck handling skills and is an icing machine.

And while he's generally steady defensively, he makes ECHL level plays displaying his lack of awareness and hockey IQ just frequently enough to remind us that he won't be on a championship calibre top pairing (like he was projected to be by virtually everyone given his pedigree).

Tonight's implosion surprised me, but the shoddy awareness displayed by Cowen was not surprising. Cowen's breakdowns are like herpes. That type of play may go dormant, but when it appears again it's highly irritating and ugly as hell.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
Among our defensemen, the only guy to score at a slower pace per game is Gryba. Meanwhile, Cowen plays serious minutes, and for the past month plus, they've been alongside the highest scoring defenseman in the game.

He's an offensive black hole given his TOI. In fact, he's a back hole in terms of possession because he lacks basic passing and puck handling skills and is an icing machine.

And while he's generally steady defensively, he makes ECHL level plays displaying his lack of awareness and hockey IQ just frequently enough to remind us that he won't be on a championship calibre top pairing (like he was projected to be by virtually everyone given his pedigree).

Tonight's implosion surprised me, but the shoddy awareness displayed by Cowen was not surprising. Cowen's breakdowns are like herpes. That type of play may go dormant, but when it appears again it's highly irritating and ugly as hell.

Go easy there, he had two assists tonight, ECHL hockey IQs don't do that.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
How convenient then that you cherry pick Karlsson's giveaways and neglect he's currently 9th in the NHL in take aways

This thread is more about Cowen then it is about karl. IDK in my mind defensemen giving the puck away has more of an effect on Cowen's defensive numbers then Karls take away. Cowen is also second on the team in GAA, offensive zone finish percentage and 3rd in ice time.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Cowen and Gryba both have some of the better defensive number on our team though.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Cowen will get better and now that I've gotten over the ****** feeling of losing that game, I can be a lot more rational about it. Sucks for him that that goal went in, still think he shouldn't be on to start the OT period.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
He's been great the last 15 games. Elite almost. One bad play shouldn't change that. Great player

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Go easy there, he had two assists tonight, ECHL hockey IQs don't do that.

I could have gotten those by sitting down in a lawn chair. All he did was pass to Karlsson.

Cowen needs to realize that his main priority should be just that. PASS TO KARLSSON THEN GO BACK AND STAY ON D.

Lol, he tries to do too much sometimes.

He's 22 and he has shown brilliant flashes. I ain't worried.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
He has been much better as of late. Today's scuffle was kind of symbolic of how his season had gone..He should and will be fine, as long as he stays healthy. Big guys take longer to develop, look at Viktor Hedman. Once he gets his full confidence back, he will be a beast.

He still has lots of time to prove himself, his play is not as poor as some here think, just a pretty typical down season for a young defenseman that came off of a major injury and missed training camp.

When Doughty held out over contract negotiation a couple of seasons ago, he had a below average season. Came on strong in the post-season, played huge role and Kings won the cup. Not that it will happen here, but just saying..

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
He's much improved from early in he season. He played a lot tonight and got 2 assists.He made a blooper at the end but maybe he will learn from it.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
I could have gotten those by sitting down in a lawn chair. All he did was pass to Karlsson.

Cowen needs to realize that his main priority should be just that. PASS TO KARLSSON THEN GO BACK AND STAY ON D.

Lol, he tries to do too much sometimes.

He's 22 and he has shown brilliant flashes. I ain't worried.

Lol, for sure, I agree with you..He should just pass to Karlsson, and let 65 do his things, and clean up after him. He will be just fine if he can do that.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
The good:

iO9DBXH8VknFV.gif

The bad:

itsallforyoudamien.gif

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
I honestly don't even consider the game tying goal a blooper. It's just ****** luck. That puck bounced all over the damn place.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
He's improving for sure. He still strikes me as having terrible balance, though. And not just because of the gif posted above. He just always looks like he's skating on fully extended legs and has no mobility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad