Waived: Jared Cowen placed on waivers - Cleared - Will be bought out

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Get him healthy, let him play 1 shift and sit him. I don't think you can buy out injured players.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
Aw, I know he sucks and has a bad reputation, but I was interested in seeing him suit up for us. Guess I'll just have to wait.

I still think he is one of those guys who needed a fresh start, and we shouldn't declare him a lost cause just yet. He should have every opportunity to show he deserves a spot in the NHL.

It's unlikely that he plays to the level of his draft position, but he doesn't need to do that to be a successful pick-up.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Only in his mid-20s, not like he's lost his legs yet. Just needs to get his head back in the game and his hustle. Possibly, just needs to be Babcock'd.

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
Hopefully Percy can get another audition. He's too good a player.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
This is probably his best chance to convince the Leafs (and other teams) that he could be a player in the NHL, alas, this injury might have just cost that. :shakehead

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Does this sound like someone's med staff might have been less than thorough?

Maybe this has been his problem all along?

Fix him and does it get back to his rookie caliber?

Well with this new Medical Science dept. Its likely that they examine and treat things much differently

StanleyTOR

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
twitter.com
IMHO, if Babs can have such an effect on Phaneuf that he was able to be traded with his mammoth contract, I believe Cowen still has the potential to be top-4 for the Leafs. By no means he's just a throw-in. 25 years old, 6'5 body. I think he will be much better with Babs than he was in OTT.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Cowan has serious hip and knee issues. He really isn't mobile any more. Even when "healthy", he just might not be NHL good enough.
With his unusual contract and a buyout very inexpensive , I doubt if he is a Maple Leaf this summer.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
IMHO, if Babs can have such an effect on Phaneuf that he was able to be traded with his mammoth contract, I believe Cowen still has the potential to be top-4 for the Leafs. By no means he's just a throw-in. 25 years old, 6'5 body. I think he will be much better with Babs than he was in OTT.

Babs seems helpless on our forward group, particularly Lupul and Grabner.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008

Phaneuf was just as good this season as he was in the year before the lockout and the lockout year.

Dont act like he's a POS all of a sudden. Cowen is nowhere near Dion's calibre

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
When the Phaneuf deal went down and Babcock was asked about Cowen the first thing he mentioned was they thought the sports science team could really help him. Maybe they had a rehab prepared for his hip issues.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
When the Phaneuf deal went down and Babcock was asked about Cowen the first thing he mentioned was they thought the sports science team could really help him. Maybe they had a rehab prepared for his hip issues.

This.

Cowen has been playing through injury barely able to move. The leafs are going to properly rehab the hip and knee. If they get this kid back close to his potential he's a hell of a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad