Pre-Game Talk: January 13th ~ 56 games for 2021 (NHL Season)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Is this confirmed?
Pretty sure this is the source

NHL, NHLPA no longer negotiating CBA financials, targeting Jan. 13 start with 56-game schedule - TSN.ca

Dreger reported Monday night that the two sides are no longer talking about the financial terms of the new collective bargaining agreement and are targeting a Jan. 13 start to the season with a 56-game schedule.
According to Dreger, there will be no more discussions on proposed financial changes to the memorandum of understanding outlining the terms of the CBA

Reactions: Back in Black

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Mrs_NyQuil has CNN on every morning because no hockey highlights.

BRING BACK HOCKEY. I need Jay and Dan.

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
Our prospects can get back to work then eh.
The Canadian division is garbage, wouldn’t be totally shocked if we make the playoffs but I’m expecting and a little hoping for another super high pick

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Our prospects can get back to work then eh.
The Canadian division is garbage, wouldn’t be totally shocked if we make the playoffs but I’m expecting and a little hoping for another super high pick

I can understand "expecting" but I disagree that we should "hope" for a high pick---at least to start the season. I can get on board with finish at the bottom once it is clear that the playoffs are out of the picture, but what is the point of constantly cheering for a losing team?

In my opinion we are now loaded with top level talent, which means we can afford to miss out on some future top 10 picks, because if you take the 2020 draft as an example, there were some amazing players taken in the 15-31 range too.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
If the rumored 26 man roster is true, that will play out so well for the Sens.
We can just keep trying out guys and see who sticks.
We got plenty of guys fighting for spots, as you all know.

Reactions: DrEasy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Expanded roster is different than a taxi squad ... Is the expanded roster getting full NHL pay? How many teams can afford two extra ELC's?

I read something earlier today saying those 3 extra guys might get an AHL salary but an NHL per diem

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Teams won't have to worry, as much, about players clearing waivers if they can keep 3 more.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Excited for the season! A few things I think we need to see in order to be confident for the future:

• Tkachuk scoring at at least a .75 PPG pace - that'd be 62 points over an 82 game season, 42 points over 56 games. He needs to take the next step from an offensive production standpoint
• Chabot getting back to 18/19 production levels - 35-40 points over 56 games
• By the end of the season Batherson and L.Brown need to have established themselves as permanent, top 6 NHLers
• Murray playing ~35 games and maintaining a .910+ SV%

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I read something earlier today saying those 3 extra guys might get an AHL salary but an NHL per diem
That seems like a reasonable comprimise, though it would suck being an extra 3 to watch the typical 21, 22 and 23 guys get a full nhl salsry.

Would the extra guys still practice with the team?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I saw that regarding a taxi squad - but not specially about an expanded roster.

maybe the words roster and taxi squad are getting blurred in reporting.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Huge implications with rosters.

- Who counts against the cap ?
- If teams go with a 21 man roster for cap reasons can they have 5 extra bodies at AHL money ?
- I assume waivers will still apply, will it still be 24 hours ?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Huge implications with rosters.

- Who counts against the cap ?
- If teams go with a 21 man roster for cap reasons can they have 5 extra bodies at AHL money ?
- I assume waivers will still apply, will it still be 24 hours ?

I would imagine only the active roster would count against the cap, and there would be limitations for when you can bring in a player from the taxi squad.

You likely would only be able to play one of the "extras" if someone is on the injured/not-fit-to-play list, and not for matchup purposes. You couldn't just swap guys in and out.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Saturdays could be a lot of fun if NHL/SN/CBC schedules this right. An all Canadian afternoon, 7pm, and 10pm game every satarday would be incredible.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Is it better though to have guys 24,25,26 sitting around idle with the big club, or playing games in Belville.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Also with all Canadian division, I won't be able to stay up to watch all the late games, especially Vancouver, probably 2 periods of the Alberta games, likely good for Winnipeg games.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Is it better though to have guys 24,25,26 sitting around idle with the big club, or playing games in Belville.
The earliest the AHL will start is Feb 4th and travel is not all that easy, plus there could be a quarantine for call ups. Edmonton’s affiliate is in the US.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The earliest the AHL will start is Feb 4th and travel is not all that easy, plus there could be a quarantine for call ups. Edmonton’s affiliate is in the US.

No quarantine for Ottawa players,
Rumours of a 4 team AHL division in Canada, Winnipeg, Toronto,Ottawa and Montreal.

Reactions: Sweatred

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
No quarantine for Ottawa players,
Rumours of a 4 team AHL division in Canada, Winnipeg, Toronto,Ottawa and Montreal.
No quarantine? Has the league released the return to play format ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad