Value of: Jannik Hansen

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
This seems like something that's been said multiple times in the past and it's never stuck. In my opinion these type of trades are merely cyclical in nature. Playoff teams will be more willing to give up firsts if they think it's a weak draft. Depending on the makeup of the playoff teams more or less could be spent in any given year. There's really nothing there to indicate that NHL GM's have come to some sort of zeitgeist that they'll stop trading 1st round picks for rentals. It's about as likely as they'll stop spending like crazy on July 1st.

In regards to Hansen it could maybe lean towards a late first, considering he's on a great contract and has another year left. Yes the expansion draft is coming up but it's much more lenient on forwards, the right team could probably fit him in and protect. If we had a savvy GM I think he's someone you could pull a Gaustad with, saying the price is a 1st round pick or bust.

Trends gotta start somewhere.

Ladd was the only player moved last year for a 1st. Even without the extra year, Ladd's value was significantly higher than Hansen.

I've liked Hansen since his playing days for the Moose. I think he fits into a lot of teams structure. I just don't believe he gets a 1st on his own.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Consider Jannik Hansen is a quality NHL player, has ability to on every line and be a leader I honestly don't mind if he sticks around as one of the veterans to help with the rebuild. IMHO this team needs more Honey Badger than less. I think almost every team in the league who doesn't have their own would like a Jannik Hansen. Especially at 2.5 million.
Is he worth a first to someone else? Probably not, but that doesn't devalue him to Vancouver. We value Jannik Hansen like a rebuilding team would value a high end 2nd round pick as the draft pick would be a hopeful of the team to become as good as Jannik "7th round pick" Hansen.

He's also one of the more perfect deadline acquisitions for a team that lacks RW depth now and next year who wants to compete. Competing teams do trade 1st round draft picks for depth players like Hansen.
I've even suggested the idea of a 2nd and a prospect with similar potential to a Jannik Hansen as a pretty good deal. A player slightly buried by depth at the NHL but NHL ready.
One thing that does seem to be pretty universal with Canuck fans is that Jannik is a very important piece. From my limited viewing of him I see why. He isn't a flashy dangler that will get butts off seats neccessarilly, but plays the game smart with effort whenever he is on the ice. You bet I'd love to get Hansen on my team. Do not fault Vancouver fans for not wanting to trade him for anything less than "overpayment" asset(s). Definitely a player you can't judge by the scoresheet. Not that he should be embarrassed at all for his offense.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Hansen has to be either be building block/second piece for a bigger deal to bring us back elite talent for our rebuild, or he is dealt for only something so bonkers no one would consider it to be fair value.

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
High 2nd round pick.

High 2nd round picks generally come from teams lower in the standings, whom wont be trading for depth veterans.

I also dont see a team giving up a 1st for Hansen. 2nd + prospect is far more likely

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
Hansen is established, fast, can play multiple RW roles. 16-20ish goal scorer. Strongest in an energy role with other skilled energy players. Kills penalties well. Low maintence, good locker room guy, great contract. Valuable asset. Fantastic pickup for any contending team.

Ideally from a Van perspective... speedy and skilled forward prospect and picks.

From Chicago:
Nick Schmaltz

From SJ:
Kevin Labanc + 2nd

From Pitt:
Daniel Sprong + 2nd

From Dallas:
Denis Gurianov (maybe Canucks add a prospect)

From Mtl:
Nikita Scherbak

etc.

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
overrating Hansen a bit

No, I don't believe I am. Actually it should be a 2017 first except Chicago is hosting the draft this season and likely won't consider trading this season's first or second picks. An after thought that Vancouver should also start by asking for Schmaltz to also be included too. Of the two, Knott is the more important as the Canucks need to improve their LW prospect depth more than center or RW. I picture Schmaltz to develop into a 3rd line play making center, but he is a playmate of Boeser at North Dakota and a good connection between them.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Reway and a 3rd :)
Pretty bad. Especially for a team who owns 2 2nd round picks this year.

How 'bout Lazar + something
You guys don't own a 2nd this year so that "something" better be the value, as Lazar I'd trade Gaunce for maybe. The typical struggling prospect for struggling prospect.

Hansen is established, fast, can play multiple RW roles. 16-20ish goal scorer. Strongest in an energy role with other skilled energy players. Kills penalties well. Low maintence, good locker room guy, great contract. Valuable asset. Fantastic pickup for any contending team.

Ideally from a Van perspective... speedy and skilled forward prospect and picks.

From Chicago:
Nick Schmaltz

From SJ:
Kevin Labanc + 2nd

From Pitt:
Daniel Sprong + 2nd

From Dallas:
Denis Gurianov (maybe Canucks add a prospect)

From Mtl:
Nikita Scherbak

etc.
Chicago deal I like. Another UND product would be great and he's utility forward capable of wing or taking shifts in the middle.
LeBanc id feel provides more bang for the buck to SJS, doubt they look at that one.
Pittsburgh is loaded on the RW, Hornqvuist Kessel Rust Fehr. They'd look at a LW or another RHD IMHO but RW they don't.
The Dallas deal im not %100 up on. Is that the Russian kid they grabbed in the first round last year?
The Montreal deal feels light. Scherback + 3rd or the 2 2nds they own.

Not true. He is 21. He is a grinder type , but not a bust.
Meh prospect at this point. We have our own Lazar in Gaunce on the roster as is.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Jannik Hansen for a young 'Kris Draper/Manny Malhottra' type center

Jannik Hansen for a young 'Kris Draper/Manny Malhottra' type center:

My opinion will be different than most posters here, but I'd like to see the Canucks trade Hansen for a young 'Kris Draper/Manny Malhottra type guy (i.e. a young, gritty, defensive-oriented 3rd line center). Ideally, the player would be within the 20-22 age range, and someone that the Canucks could have long term.

I'd then like to see Chris Tanev be traded for a center that is of similar age/calibre/style to Bo Horvat.

Basically, I want to see the Canucks be absolutely stacked down the middle with gritty two-way centers. This, complemented by great goaltending (Canucks appear to be set here both short term and long term), along with a defense that has a blend of size and skill (I'd like to see the Canucks trade Boeser and a 1st for Trouba, so that the Canucks would have Trouba, Gudbranson, and Tryamkin on their back end for size, complemented by the skill of Hutton, Stetcher, and Edler), is how I think the Canucks will be successful as a team moving forward.

With so much depth at center, the Canucks can then look at options for moving the twins to fill the gaps on wing and prospect pool.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Jannik Hansen for a young 'Kris Draper/Manny Malhottra' type center:

My opinion will be different than most posters here, but I'd like to see the Canucks trade Hansen for a young 'Kris Draper/Manny Malhottra type guy (i.e. a young, gritty, defensive-oriented 3rd line center). Ideally, the player would be within the 20-22 age range, and someone that the Canucks could have long term.

I'd then like to see Chris Tanev be traded for a center that is of similar age/calibre/style to Bo Horvat.

Basically, I want to see the Canucks be absolutely stacked down the middle with gritty two-way centers. This, complemented by great goaltending (Canucks appear to be set here both short term and long term), along with a defense that has a blend of size and skill (I'd like to see the Canucks trade Boeser and a 1st for Trouba, so that the Canucks would have Trouba, Gudbranson, and Tryamkin on their back end for size, complemented by the skill of Hutton, Stetcher, and Edler), is how I think the Canucks will be successful as a team moving forward.

With so much depth at center, the Canucks can then look at options for moving the twins to fill the gaps on wing and prospect pool.

How do you think Winnipeg would feel about that deal? It takes 2 teams to make that deal. You're obviously looking out for only 1. Sounds like a video game idea...

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
How do you think Winnipeg would feel about that deal? It takes 2 teams to make that deal. You're obviously looking out for only 1. Sounds like a video game idea...

Yeah. exactly, just what the Jets need, right? More prospects, especially up front...

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
High 2nd round picks generally come from teams lower in the standings, whom wont be trading for depth veterans.

I also dont see a team giving up a 1st for Hansen. 2nd + prospect is far more likely

Was talking from a purely value standpoint.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad