Confirmed with Link: Janmark re-signs 1x1m

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Credit to Jannmark for being a team player as well. He wanted to stay
Yes, it goes both ways. Lets see how Connor and Drai are in terms of their lifestyle. If they take max amounts, I'll lose respect for them. If they don't win anything, on them. Don't pull a Matthews

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yes, it goes both ways. Lets see how Connor and Drai are in terms of their lifestyle. If they take max amounts, I'll lose respect for them. If they don't win anything, on them. Don't pull a Matthews
Who experiences the bigger impact on their future. A guy making $1.25M with a limited time left in his career taking a $250K cut or a guy who will be paid $11-12M leaving a couple million on the table per year? Janmark has made $12.3M over his career. McDavid made $15M in the first year of his new deal and Leon has made $54M so far with likely over $100M left to come.

The NHL set up the lower paid guys to take the fall by keeping the cap increase at $1M this year. Stars get paid full value, the rest take what they can get.

In the end I suspect McDavid will sign for a discount from what he could get. I am less sure that this will be true of Draisaitl given that he may feel he has been underpaid. But if they want to win as bad as they say those two contracts will say a lot

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Who experiences the bigger impact on their future. A guy making $1.25M with a limited time left in his career taking a $250K cut or a guy who will be paid $11-12M leaving a couple million on the table per year? Janmark has made $12.3M over his career. McDavid made $15M in the first year of his new deal and Leon has made $54M so far with likely over $100M left to come.

The NHL set up the lower paid guys to take the fall by keeping the cap increase at $1M this year. Stars get paid full value, the rest take what they can get.

In the end I suspect McDavid will sign for a discount from what he could get. I am less sure that this will be true of Draisaitl given that he may feel he has been underpaid. But if they want to win as bad as they say those two contracts will say a lot
They all make BIG money and can set their kids up. ALL of them, if they have brains. You can EASILY set up your kids for life if you have some sort of knowledge with Janmarks money. Real Estate, etc. Nobody should ever prop these guys up. They worked hard and are the 1%, but plllleeease

Reactions: Puljulainen

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Ryan and Janmark signed at a lesser rate than they did originally. Why could not the team's stars?
Every team in the league would love to have our stars.

Almost no one cares about Ryan or Janmark. These guys did not take a big discount they took what they are worth and would not get elsewhere. Ryan got more than he is worth becasue they gave him two years.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Every team in the league would love to have our stars.

Almost no one cares about Ryan or Janmark. These guys did not take a big discount they took what they are worth and would not get elsewhere. Ryan got more than he is worth becasue they gave him two years.
That's understood. But should not the stars be setting the example if they want to win the cup. Bruins' players were laughing at Edmonton for a reason.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
That's understood. But should not the stars be setting the example if they want to win the cup. Bruins' players were laughing at Edmonton for a reason.

What on earth?

McDavid was already the best player we'd seen in a decade and did not sign for league max.

Draisaitl signed a strong contract, but at the time most of us already knew who he was... at the time already seeing a young Kopitar with "Thorton light" potential... we were wrong on "light". Now it's literally the best contract in the league.

Nuge is $1M underpaid when he was a 60-point guy. He just scored 100.

Great contract by the way. I'm a huge fan of Janmark

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Fz5FMpaaUAE4lIw.jpeg.jpg

Leon likes it lol

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
They all make BIG money and can set their kids up. ALL of them, if they have brains. You can EASILY set up your kids for life if you have some sort of knowledge with Janmarks money. Real Estate, etc. Nobody should ever prop these guys up. They worked hard and are the 1%, but plllleeease
After escrow, taxes and other living expenses a guy like Janmark might have saved $2-4M if he is smart with his money. But many professional athletes are not exactly equipped to be managing their finances especially when they are young. That is a lot of money to most but it's not exactly going to set their kids up for life given that retirement in your 30's is not the normal career path for most. And it won't keep you living a life style of the 1%ers that's for sure. Most hockey players have at best a high school education. While some will be able to continue to earn good money post retirement many others will not. A lot end up being unemployed for a period post retirement while still living a lifestyle consistent with a 7 figure salary.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
After escrow, taxes and other living expenses a guy like Janmark might have saved $2-4M if he is smart with his money. But many professional athletes are not exactly equipped to be managing their finances especially when they are young. That is a lot of money to most but it's not exactly going to set their kids up for life given that retirement in your 30's is not the normal career path for most. And it won't keep you living a life style of the 1%ers that's for sure. Most hockey players have at best a high school education. While some will be able to continue to earn good money post retirement many others will not. A lot end up being unemployed for a period post retirement while still living a lifestyle consistent with a 7 figure salary.
Top 1 percent world wide is $34k per year,in Canada it jumps to mid $200k. If he manages to save $4MM, there is no reason he cant live comfortably with maybe some supplemental income - such as hockey schools or something like that to cover some expenses. He’s not Uber wealthy at that point but he’s top 1 percent for sure.

Good signing overall,I think with the flat cap guys will be forced into this and then hopefully get one more contract as the cap rises.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Top 1 percent world wide is $34k per year,in Canada it jumps to mid $200k. If he manages to save $4MM, there is no reason he cant live comfortably with maybe some supplemental income - such as hockey schools or something like that to cover some expenses. He’s not Uber wealthy at that point but he’s top 1 percent for sure.

Good signing overall,I think with the flat cap guys will be forced into this and then hopefully get one more contract as the cap rises.
There is a difference between living comfortably and being able to set your children up for life with $2-4M to live on for the next 60 years especially if 40% of your wealth is tied up in your house. The current cutoff for the top 1% net wealth in Canada is around $7.5M which is about $5.5M US. That said, the normal lifestyle of an NHL player is probably more costly than that of most people at the bottom of that 1% list. We see them all as being rich. But the reality is that a lot of pro athletes end up with relatively modest lifestyles after retirement.

I do agree though that this is a very good deal for the team. It gives them flexibility in terms of both salary and usage. Personally I would like to have seen the term be 2 years. It would be an even better contract next year if the cap jumps and at age 30 I think he has a number of good years left.

Last edited:

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
There is a difference between living comfortably and being set able to set your children up for life with $4M to live on for the next 60 years. I do agree though that this is a very good deal for the team. It gives them flexibility in terms of both salary and usage.

Personally I would like to have seen the term be 2 years. It would be an even better contract next year if the cap jumps and at age 30 I think he has a number of good years left.
I think guys on this end of the talent spectrum are facing a reality of one year deals moving forward. GMs are starting to slowly figure out that term at that age on borderline players is a bad idea, there’s always more of those guys joining the club.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think guys on this end of the talent spectrum are facing a reality of one year deals moving forward. GMs are starting to slowly figure out that term at that age on borderline players is a bad idea, there’s always more of those guys joining the club.
I agree to a point. The stars will always get their money. But if the cap starts to rise, multi-year deals for players like Janmark make more sense. $1M is a good deal with the cap at $83.5M. It is a better deal at $88M and an even better deal at $94M.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Connor taking max isn't selfish imo. In a way he sets the table for all the other players and he will have pressure from the PA.

It's the bjugstads and kostins that I don't get. Bjugstad is older I guess so he sort of gets a pass due to limited future earning potential but going from a possible cup team to a bad team over a million feels wrong.

You could easily turn one million into two million with good investments and still win a cup.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Nice!

We were deeper than we were given credit for last year.

Just need to re-sign Bouch and 4C (Clouds bro?) Then we'll be good to start next year.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Connor taking max isn't selfish imo. In a way he sets the table for all the other players and he will have pressure from the PA.

It's the bjugstads and kostins that I don't get. Bjugstad is older I guess so he sort of gets a pass due to limited future earning potential but going from a possible cup team to a bad team over a million feels wrong.

You could easily turn one million into two million with good investments and still win a cup.
That logic is more applicable to a star player who's been in the league for 15 years and has not won anything. Kostin is not an established NHLer. The deal that Detroit offered him gives him security and an opportunity to launch a long career and a chance to win the cup at some point.

Reactions: Oilers

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

It’s a myth that the PA pushes for star players to get as much as they can.

There’s a salary cap.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It’s a myth that the PA pushes for star players to get as much as they can.

There’s a salary cap.
plus if less cap space is spent, that means less cash taken off existing salaries from escrow. Spending more cash in free agency doesn't increase the total cash to the players at all. If anything, the vast majority of players (the ones already signed to deals) would prefer less money is spent

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Funny you say that. I was reading the NHLPA set up a defined benefit pension plan for the players in 2013, and depending on the amount of games you play, you can get up to $265k a year, which is still quite a bit of money for most people who retire. And while it would be of best interest to have someone manage your money for your future, essentially they are taken care of even if they waste most of their money. Not like back in the 90's where players like McCarthy and Joe Murphy. But yeah, it'd be super tough for them to live within those means if their whole career was around the 3-4M they made.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Funny you say that. I was reading the NHLPA set up a defined benefit pension plan for the players in 2013, and depending on the amount of games you play, you can get up to $265k a year, which is still quite a bit of money for most people who retire. And while it would be of best interest to have someone manage your money for your future, essentially they are taken care of even if they waste most of their money. Not like back in the 90's where players like McCarthy and Joe Murphy. But yeah, it'd be super tough for them to live within those means if their whole career was around the 3-4M they made.

When do players start earning their pensions? I would have assumed ~60-65? And not right from retirement from playing hockey?

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Likely has to be post 65 would be pretty hard to run a DB plan from retirement age of the NHL player and not have the plan in a persistent shortfall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad