Prospect Info: Jan Steber (also see the post I put on the Polish part of the forum)

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
Hi team,

This season I started following the Polish Hockey League, in particular Gdansk (MH Automatika Gdansk).
I love the city and the team turned out to be quiet gritty during the first part of the season.

One of the playmakers that caught my attention is their skipper, Jan Steber, a talented player.
After doing some research it turned out that he was drafted by Toronto way back in 2004. He played for the Mooseheads & Ice Pilots before returning to Europe as soo many players, as he didn’t make the cut.

Anyway, this way The Polish and Czech League could enjoy his playmaking abilities.
I just want to know which impression he left on you in the early stages of his career as I only can reflect on the past season.

And numbers don't always tell the complete story.

Cheers.

Jan Steber - Elite Prospects

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I think I speak for a ton of people that they don't remember a prospect that never made the NHL 14 years ago lol, sorry bud

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
I remember him. He was a later pick for us and there was some talk that he could have been a sleeper.

He turned out to be nothing.

Martin Sagat was another intriguing European prospect that didn't amount to much.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
I was kind of thrown off when I saw this thread. It reminded me of that era of drafting poorly. Steber was a very late pick. You can't say he disappointed because there were no expectations with him. Guys like Roman Kukumberg and Dmitri Vorobyev were disappointing selections. Kukumberg was like 24 when we drafted him in the 4th round and Vorobyev had issues with weight and not wanting to come over the NA.

Vorobyev was actually a pretty good prospect.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Got to say I barely remember him. Once a prospect doesn't do very well in the QMJHL (or OHL or WHL), you tend to dismiss these prospects. I'm glad to hear he's doing well in the Polish league and I'm happy to hear there's some genuine interest in hockey in Poland!

On Vorobiev, I believe there were two things with him. One was that he has constantly battled weight issues. The other was he had a health scare at some point.

Kukumberg was a disappointing draft pick. I thought the Leafs had some special inside info on the player. He was just a good size and that's it. He was lumbering and a bit listless in the AHL. The AHL was too skilled and fast for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Malkinson

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Holy crap, you guys. I can’t even remember what I had for dinner yesterday and you guys remember this???

Can you help me remember wife’s birthday and anniversary? Would be greatly appreciated...... :)

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Holy crap, you guys. I can’t even remember what I had for dinner yesterday and you guys remember this???

Can you help me remember wife’s birthday and anniversary? Would be greatly appreciated...... :)

I started tracking NHL draft picks in 1998. I was 12 years old. It became a lot easier tracking the prospects in 2000, with websites like HFBoards starting up.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
In all honesty the only reason I remember him is from EHM. Same with guys like Martin Sagat, Roman Kukumberg and a bunch of other prospects around that time...include an unknown gem by the name of Leo Komorov.

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
It turned out to be a wildshot but it did pay off :)
Due to work, travelling and academic priorities I only now found the time to post this.
Jan is doing fine, he's the captain of the Gdansk team and renewed his contract this week.
He does however combines his hockey with a job, as most players of the Gdansk team do.
Can't wait to return next season and see some homegames
Thnx guys for the input

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad