GDT: Jan 7: Canucks @ Flames - HNIC

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
If the Flames play half as good as they did last night they will likely blowout the Canucks. They need to manage their d-zone and offensive blue line turnovers better than yesterday though.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Can't wait to hear all about the Leafs during the pre-game and intermissions.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Despite the shot totals, I thought the team played very poorly, but for the Backlund line, Chiasson (and Gaudreau to a lesser extent) For minutes at a time the Canucks were unable to cross center ice, yet we failed to generate any damgerous scoring opportunities.

It won't happen but I'd like to see the top lines restructured like this:

Gaudreau-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Monahan/Bennett-Versteeg

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Now that we've reached the halfway mark of the season, who do you guys think has been our best player? I would still err Ocho over Backlund, no discredit to Backlund though obviously

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
My top 5 would be:

Backlund
Tkachuk
Johnson
Gaudreau
Frolik

Pretty massive dropoff after that though

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'd have Hamilton over Frolik but ya, the list looks about right, up to here at least.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Now that we've reached the halfway mark of the season, who do you guys think has been our best player? I would still err Ocho over Backlund, no discredit to Backlund though obviously

In order:
5) Versteeg (he's been our secondary offense this season. Not Gaudreau, not Monahan. Makes something happen every time. It's really concerning to me.)
4)Tkachuk (been our best 200 foot winger. And it's not even close even with Frolik there. Double his minutes please. Beast along the walls, in transition, on the forecheck... superstar in the making)
3)Backlund (arguably been a top ten center in the NHL this season all things considered. Gulutzan needs to give him more ice time)
2)Giordano (amazing on the PK, amazing in a shut down role. Turned Hamilton's season around instantly)
1)Johnson (simply the only reason we are not talking about Nolan Patrick. Team was baaaaaaaaad during his hot streak)

HMs
Hamilton (possession numbers off the charts)
Stajan (best season of his as a Flame possibly.)
Ferland (kind of slowed down lately but for a while he was our second best winger after Tkachuk)
Brodie (He's been a victim of some terrible puck luck, teammate quality, and his possession stats have struggled but I still think he's been good overall.)
Frolik (I'd be remiss to not include him. Very important piece of our best line)

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Backlund no question.

Do we have to play Miller again? That game last night was horse ****. Hope Johnson plays well, and give me Hathaway over Hamilton too.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'd give my HM to Versteeg and Gio

Wides is an A for effort kinda guy. Brings it every night but you'll never know if he'll help you or hurt you.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Wides is an A for effort kinda guy. Brings it every night but you'll never know if he'll help you or hurt you.

I've been thinking about it, and Wideman would have a lot of success on a team with a more dominant forward group that can shelter him a bit. He's played well, he just has his weaknesses that you can't hide on this team.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I've been thinking about it, and Wideman would have a lot of success on a team with a more dominant forward group that can shelter him a bit. He's played well, he just has his weaknesses that you can't hide on this team.

Agreed. I'd love to keep him, at a discount obviously, but a top 4 role is too big of an ask for him. If Wotherspoon picks up his game I'd love to see them in a third pairing together next year and bring in someone that will complement Brodie.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The lack of love for Hamilton's play this year is disappointing. He's been better than Giordano this year without factoring expectations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad