Injury Report: Jan. 12 upd: Eric Wellwood (is coaching in OHL; had severed leg tendons, Apr 7, 2013)

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
I really like Wellwood, i hate seeing this happen. And someone said players may not like the kevlar sock because its uncomfortable, well, a severed foot is propbaly more uncomfortable. We are lucky injuries like this dont happen more often given the obvious dangers, but as a player if there is something to cut the risk, I want it.

RonHextall27

Mar 12, 2008
Halifax, NS
The socks are not scarce at all, and there are a number of different brands out there. I bought mine at my local sporting goods store for $30. They are a bit different but not hard at all to get used to the feel. Whether or not I ever actually need them in my beer league is debatable, but if i do, they are there.

RJ8812*

9 months eh? I was never really a Wellwood fan, but I feel for him. For a guy that really all he had was speed, this could ruin his career. Hopefully this lead to everyone wearing Kevlar socks now.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
As a matter of reference, here is an update on Eric Wellwood. He is a volunteer coach in the OHL.

These days, the 23-year-old winger is a volunteer coach for his hometown team, and he couldn’t be happier to be this close to the game.

Before the season began, Windsor president Bob Boughner, who coached Wellwood from 2006-10 with the Spitfires, wanted to hire his former player as a video coach.

Wellwood can’t do that because he’s still trying to get back from a gruesome injury last season that may have ended his career. The Flyers still signed him to an AHL deal on good faith and he’s still trying to see if he can complete an unlikely comeback.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20140112/SPORTS04/301120062

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
It doesn't sound good, given the symptoms he describes.

His speed was really fun to watch and if he was healthy he could make a big improvement on the 4th line.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Sad he's only 23, I really liked the speed he brought, for as much hate the Flyers get they always seem to take care of their own, good on the Flyers for taking care of Wellwood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad