Jamie Phillips

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think a goalie with his stats would be worth much in a trade. When there are 24 starting goalies in the NCAA that have a better save % for the year (and he's playing behind a stifling defense at that), I think we are better off going the UFA route & no doubt any potential suitors would think likewise.

At the time Kasdorf was traded his numbers were well below Phillips'. How many NCAA goalies have a better sv% over a 2 year span? Kasdorf with .931 will be one of the 24. The year before he had a .902 and Phillips had .933. How many of those 24 goalies with a better sv% were significantly better or were a lot of them bunched together within a point or 2?

Based on the numbers it doesn't make sense to let Phillips go. No way. Ellis was very good this year but had done little prior. There is no guarantee we get Ellis. Nothing against going after him. I'd like both.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I don't think a goalie with his stats would be worth much in a trade. When there are 24 starting goalies in the NCAA that have a better save % for the year (and he's playing behind a stifling defense at that), I think we are better off going the UFA route & no doubt any potential suitors would think likewise.

But why shut the door on a prospect that has posted decent numbers in NCAA?

Wouldn't it be better to allow for a season with the Moose, to understand what type of goalie prospect we have, instead of assuming his numbers were a product of the defense in front of him.

I understand the possibilities that Phillip's solid numbers had more to do with the defense playing in front of him, than his own ability, but why go off this notion when you can validate it with your own eyes.

I actually believed he had a role with this organization, backing up Comrie with the Moose next season.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
At the time Kasdorf was traded his numbers were well below Phillips'. How many NCAA goalies have a better sv% over a 2 year span? Kasdorf with .931 will be one of the 24. The year before he had a .902 and Phillips had .933. How many of those 24 goalies with a better sv% were significantly better or were a lot of them bunched together within a point or 2?

Based on the numbers it doesn't make sense to let Phillips go. No way. Ellis was very good this year but had done little prior. There is no guarantee we get Ellis. Nothing against going after him. I'd like both.

All I can say is there has to be a reason that Jets brass are not keen on the guy. They usually are a lot keener on signing one of their own (a guy they drafted) than to go the UFA route for sure. The other question I have is should we trust them in that assessment given how wrong & persistent they have been with Pavs.

Nevertheless, a contract is a contract. If they use a contract on Phillips, they basically have none left to go after another UFA goalie. I agree that Phillips numbers seem more than adequate on the surface, but 24th among starters in the NCAA & with a stifling defense does give a lot of room for improvement.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
All I can say is there has to be a reason that Jets brass are not keen on the guy. They usually are a lot keener on signing one of their own (a guy they drafted) than to go the UFA route for sure. The other question I have is should we trust them in that assessment given how wrong & persistent they have been with Pavs.

Nevertheless, a contract is a contract. If they use a contract on Phillips, they basically have none left to go after another UFA goalie. I agree that Phillips numbers seem more than adequate on the surface, but 24th among starters in the NCAA & with a stifling defense does give a lot of room for improvement.

Agree with the bold. Contract shortage shouldn't be an issue. Jets still have fewer than any other team. There is a commitment there though. You have to honour an ELC but it is a pretty small risk.

UPFever

Apr 5, 2016
I just looked at the kids stats.* This season he had ten 30+ shot games and eight additional 25+ shot games out of 36 games.** Over two seasons only two goalies, Alex Lyon and Thatcher Demko have better cumulative stats.* Phillips set the school shutout record and sits third all time in wins (mostly over two seasons).* He was a Hobey Baker nominee two years in a row, a Mike Richter finalist last year and a nominee this year and he isn't even being considered?* Really?* As for the defense, what defense?* The defense graduated last year.* Guys, read!**

2015-16
Alex Lyon: Ten 30+ shot games and nine 25+ shot games.* What's the difference?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad