Speculation: Jamie McGinn

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Hi guys,

Habs fan coming in peace. I was just stopping in to see what sort of value McGinn has to the Avs. The habs are in the market for a 2nd/3rd line power forward with some bite and its been well documented. Keeping in perspective what is realistic what could the habs offer to get a deal done for Jamie (if he were to be traded)

Either in a buyers perspective from us at the deadline or a prospect and pick route. Either way thanks for your time!

Good luck this year!:yo:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think Avs value him higher than Avs fans on HF, who have him in every single trade proposal for the last couple of months.

He's one of the few top nine forwards on the team with sandpaper to his game, is young and has one of the better shots on the team. I think they see him a part of the future here.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
I think Avs value him higher than Avs fans on HF, who have him in every single trade proposal for the last couple of months.

He's one of the few top nine forwards on the team with sandpaper to his game, is young and has one of the better shots on the team. I think they see him a part of the future here.

thanks for the feedback. Louis LeBlanc is a player that could go back the other way along with a couple 2nd rounders.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The only deal that would make sense for the Avs is the one in which he is used to bring in a solid top 4 defenseman, he's not getting traded for futures.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
The only deal that would make sense for the Avs is the one in which he is used to bring in a solid top 4 defenseman, he's not getting traded for futures.

Andrei Markov and Louis LeBlanc

for

Jamie McGinn and a 3rd round pick

??????

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
I think Markov is exactly what the Avs need. And a player that Roy would love to coach, runs the game like a general at the point. Would a package including Markov be something that interests you boys?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, right now we have 3 guys capable of playing in the top 9 that bring some serious power and sandpaper to the table. Landeskog, Downie and McGinn. Once they've got Mac acclimated and feel he doesn't need two bodyguards one of Downie or McG will be put on the Dutchy line with Parenteau.

I personally think that McG is the better fit because he can skate with duchene and crack skulls. While Mac gets to keep the better playmaker of the two in Downie.

Given that most of our forward prospects profile to replace Tanguay and Parenteau as skilled creative wingers rather than powerful dudes with speed and/or skill like Landy, McG and Downie, I think that value is really high on all of them. And unless we're packaging McG or Downie with something to get someone who can actually play with EJ and excel, I really don't like the idea of trading them and suspect the avs don't either. Given how much the team has been talking about how happy they are with the top 9 now that's finally set.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
The only deals which make sense are the ones you are less interested in. Gorges or Tinordi.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I think he's been in trade proposals because fans know other teams would want him, and him, Downie, and Stastny are the only expendable assets in the top 9.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd want Gorges and would add a bit to McGinn to get it done. Montreal probably wouldn't want to do the deal.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Could we please stop that?
No offense to the OP as you were only collecting information on McGinn and his value but I am a bit surprised there are so many Avs fans around here who are offering him to every team on the main boards?!
I'd rather see what McGinn can deliver under a new coach over the process of a whole season. He's shown flashes of his potential and we all know his stats could have looked way better last year if he only had been a bit more lucky.

Sure hope we keep him and see how he develops. Guy can become a heck of a player as soon as next year.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
But I do like Leblanc..

Leblanc dropped a lot in the Habs Porspect chart . he was a draft choice Under the old regime with Montreal and i dont think that Marc Bergevin and his staff are looking at Leblanc the same way as Pierre Gauthier & co used to do . It may have something to do with the injury that Leblanc suffered , last year, maybe . But at one point there was some grumbling and even questions marks on whether or not he will play with the Habs and those who thought that he will play for the Habs were saying as a 3rd line guy .

But hey , you know how hockey can change pretty quickly , Leblanc might climb the ladder , back to where he was a few seasons ago .

Last edited:

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
Let's keep Mcginn until atleast the trade deadline. We need to see how these guys perform under the new system..which I am looking forward to.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
I don't think McGinn is ever the guy you want on your top line. Due to his physical play he could be a good second liner though.

I think the Avs need to fix their D through trading O Reilly and picks/prospects for a really good player. Not by moving McGinn for a another #4 type. And realistically that's all he's worth. No team should be offering up anything more.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
People here undervalue him. The only way I move him is if he's part of a package that gets us a good, young, left-handed blueliner in return.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Andrei Markov and Louis LeBlanc

for

Jamie McGinn and a 3rd round pick

??????

Change Leblanc to a 2nd or even remove the picks altogether and I would do this quite easily. I'm a big fan of Jamie McGinn's but Markov is EXACTLY the kind of guy that we need to bring in until we find a way to acquire a younger top pairing guy that fits our core. At 34, Markov has shown that he can still put up points and eat up a lot of minutes and he would instantly make us a better team by legitimizing our defence. Not to mention that it would be nice for Varly to have another Russian on the team.

I realize that fans here want to hit a home run and acquire that Duncan Keith kind of d-man that we need but that may not be possible to do right now and I doubt it's possible without trading RoR or Stastny. To me, this would be an excellent move.

RoR-Duchene-Parenteau
Sgarbossa-Stastny-Landeskog
Tanguay-MacKinnon-Downie
McLeod-Mitchell-Bordeleau

Markov-EJ
Hejda-Barrie
Wilson-Sarich
(Hunwick)

Varly
Giggy

Could we please stop that?
No offense to the OP as you were only collecting information on McGinn and his value but I am a bit surprised there are so many Avs fans around here who are offering him to every team on the main boards?!
I'd rather see what McGinn can deliver under a new coach over the process of a whole season. He's shown flashes of his potential and we all know his stats could have looked way better last year if he only had been a bit more lucky.

Sure hope we keep him and see how he develops. Guy can become a heck of a player as soon as next year.

Overall, I agree with this and I think McGinn still has more to show and was quite snakebitten last season. I think he's got 25-30 goal potential and those type of players don't grow on trees. However, the fact that you can bring in a veteran guy like Markov (as long as he's open to a contract extension) is the kind of player that can eat up big minutes in years 1&2 and then settle into a middle pairing role thereafter.

Sadly, I doubt very much that the Habs would make this kind of trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad