Speculation: Jamie McGinn

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
There's no doubt in my mind he's a top-6 guy. I'd prefer to leave him with Duchene and drop Landy to Stastny's line. I think McGinn can get the job done with someone as skilled as Duchene, and Landy's defense particularly would do wonders with Jones on that line.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
There's no doubt in my mind he's a top-6 guy. I'd prefer to leave him with Duchene and drop Landy to Stastny's line. I think McGinn can get the job done with someone as skilled as Duchene, and Landy's defense particularly would do wonders with Jones on that line.

Rotfl :nod:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Was thinking about this the other day and I have to say, I was quite impressed with his stats.

The biggest thing for me was his shooting percentage. 4.3% for a guy who's career average is likely around the 13-15% range. Thinking back to all those posts and ridiculous saves on him earlier in the year, if he was shooting at 14% right now, he'd have 6 goals instead of 2, and 14 Points in the 13 games.

He and Duchene have found some chemistry it seems, and PAP has found chemistry with Duchene. That line could get real scary real fast.

When Landy comes back I think he'll play with Stastny, this should give us 2 good scoring lines, and Duchenes line will have a little less pressure, which could mean even more chances for them.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I don't like McGInn as much as most of you. I still see him as a 3rd liner whose production has been boosted as a result of playing big minutes with better players. He's a 50-60 pt guy on a poor team. But at least he isn't as useless as Parenteau defensively. My gosh Parenteau's lack of hockey sense, I have no idea how that guy manages to put up that many pts.

The highlighted argument is something i often see and it irritates me everytime I see it.

What is wrong with a 50-60pt LW.

Just last year, there were only 20 LWs, in the entire league, that put up 60 pts or more.

There seems to be this consensus that unless you are a point-per-game forward, youre a second or third line player.

If our wingers are putting up 60 pts a year, ill be damn happy. We didnt have a single player sniff 60 pts during the entire year last year. And you can bet, if your wingers are putting up 60 pts, your centers are doing very well, as evidenced by this year with Duchene.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Quickly becoming one of my favorite players on the team. Love his work ethic and physical play. A great replacement for Landeskog on Duchene's line.

Would even maybe try Landeskog with Stastny and Jones when Landy returns...just to try and wake those two up.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Quickly becoming one of my favorite players on the team. Love his work ethic and physical play. A great replacement for Landeskog on Duchene's line.

Would even maybe try Landeskog with Stastny and Jones when Landy returns...just to try and wake those two up.

^^^ Bingo

Mcginn is a better finisher than Landy. I love Landy. He is an all round beast and will be the second best player on this team for years to come, but Mcginn will put more pucks in the back of the net playing with Duchene than Landy would, while Landy would help compliment another line better than Mcginn.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

I think a line of Lando Stastny Downie wouldve been very good. Gives Stastny the types of players he works well with.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think a line of Lando Stastny Downie wouldve been very good. Gives Stastny the types of players he works well with.

Yeah it's sad Downie isn't getting that chance, because with the way Jones is playing you can bet he would have.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Think Lando and Stazz working the cycle would allow Jones to just skate to open spots for shots, and with Lando's shot and desire to take them, Jones should have some rebounds to poach.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Not sure where to post this, so I'll put it in this thread since it relates to Jamie McGinn. I made a couple avatars from his goal celebration tonight, and I thought I'd share them in case one of you guys wants to use one:

McGinn_zpsaa0b327c.png

McGinn2_edited-1_zps82e25c92.png

They look pretty big and a bit pixelated here, but when you save the file and upload it as your avatar they shrink down and look pretty good imo. Feel free to pick one and use it if you like it!

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Yea just leave Duchene's line alone for once in his career.

Leave all of them alone for that matter. Staz is playing well, Dutchy's line is firing on all cylinders, O'Reilly and Mitchell started to develop some nice chemistry this game. Let it be.

Edit: wait never mind this is an old thread.

Zandar

Jan 20, 2007
Something not taken into consideration, his shots that have hit the post. He was leading the league in hit posts which does not translate to his show total. You have someone who is taking over 3 shots a game that if his shot was an inch the other way we would see not only his goal total be higher but also his shot total. We could see 3.5 shots a game from him which comes to almost 300 over a full season. 10% shooting percentage puts him in the 30 goal range. Just need to hit less posts and he's going to be a force.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Something not taken into consideration, his shots that have hit the post. He was leading the league in hit posts which does not translate to his show total. You have someone who is taking over 3 shots a game that if his shot was an inch the other way we would see not only his goal total be higher but also his shot total. We could see 3.5 shots a game from him which comes to almost 300 over a full season. 10% shooting percentage puts him in the 30 goal range. Just need to hit less posts and he's going to be a force.

Yea for sure. He's got another level he can get to, you can just tell by his shift in shift out performance. Even when he wasn't scoring early on this year, I wasn't worried because he just had that drive to him that you don't see in a lot of players, and he knew where to be on the ice to get great chances, and a wicked wrister.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up 30 or 30+ goals one year in his career, but 20 give or take is a pretty solid bet with some real good physical hard working shifts and good speed in on the forecheck. He brings a heck of a lot to the table, and works extremely hard pretty much every shift. The perfect complimentary gritty winger with scoring upside. One of the quickest wingers I've ever seen to get to the puck on the forecheck too.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Love his speed as well, there isn't a lot of power-forwards in the league who can skate with Duchene as well as he can either.

Hes no where near as fast as Duchene, but you are not going to find someone who is 6'1 210lbs who is even close most of the time. I think he could have been in better shape to start the season as well.

Maybe his conditioning wasn't up to it's normal level, but his game in game out effort level is where it's always been. I just think the lockout dragging on, and him being young contributed to him being a little less fit.

Interesting stat... Hes tied for fourth on the team (With Stastny) in take-aways as well with 13. Hes also tied with Mitchell for 2nd on the team among forwards in hits (45).

McGinn is a rare fit with Duchene as a power-forward because of his speed. I personally don't think there is a better fit out there when it comes to needing a physical presence next to Duchene.

I'd always kind of wondered if he would work there because of his skating ability as well. Hes a complimentary winger on that line in all the ways hes needed to be. Love his game...

Not sure where to post this, so I'll put it in this thread since it relates to Jamie McGinn. I made a couple avatars from his goal celebration tonight, and I thought I'd share them in case one of you guys wants to use one:

McGinn_zpsaa0b327c.png

McGinn2_edited-1_zps82e25c92.png

They look pretty big and a bit pixelated here, but when you save the file and upload it as your avatar they shrink down and look pretty good imo. Feel free to pick one and use it if you like it!

I'll use one of them since I've probably been his biggest homer since the trade. My fiance's last name is McGinn and shes a Deadthings fan from Michigan, it's making it even more worth it for me to buy a McGinn Avs jersey. =)

Last edited:

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
He most certainly belongs on the top-2 lines. His point totals may not always reflect it, but his play away from the puck definitely warrants him being a top-2 winger. Reminds me a lot of Kunitz in Pittsburgh; a guy that forechecks like a beast, digs pucks out of corners, dishes out hits (he's a way better hitter than Kunitz) with some deceptively soft hands.

We definitely haven't seen the best McGinn has to offer yet. He's part of that "secondary core" essential to a team's success along with Parenteau, Barrie and Downie and even Mitchell (I hope they keep him around for a long time, even without his inflated goals total, the guy's a beast)

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I'll use one of them since I've probably been his biggest homer since the trade. My fiance's last name is McGinn and shes a Deadthings fan from Michigan, it's making it even more worth it for me to buy a McGinn Avs jersey. =)

Thanks for using one, glad you like it! :)

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Agreed Cobra, he works really well on that line because he CAN be a complimentary winger and not a primary weapon. Downie played that role with Landy/O'reilly too which is exactly what he should do. Jones problem is that he's paid like a primary scoring threat when he should be a complimentary player on a line. Once we reunite Landeskog/O'reilly we need to get that primary scoring threat for Stastny.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Agreed Cobra, he works really well on that line because he CAN be a complimentary winger and not a primary weapon. Downie played that role with Landy/O'reilly too which is exactly what he should do. Jones problem is that he's paid like a primary scoring threat when he should be a complimentary player on a line. Once we reunite Landeskog/O'reilly we need to get that primary scoring threat for Stastny.

Yeah, Stastny really needs someone like that. I'm not surprised Landeskog isn't breaking out next to him (Offensively), Landeskog isn't a 'sniper' hybrid power forward like Stewart was.

Personally, even though a lot of people don't seem to agree. I think Horton would be perfect for Stastny's wing. Hes the same type of hybrid sniper/power forward Stewart was.

I totally get the risks with him having a past concussion, but the upside is a 30 goal scorer who has experience on a playoff contending team.

McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau

Jones/Mitchell - Stastny - Horton

Landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie

That would be a sick, sick top 9 group. I think Jones would need to be replaced within a year or two but that's doable.

Perry would be amazing obviously but that isn't happening.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Last 15 games, 7G 3A

That's pretty similar to what he did after coming over in the trade. Which was 8G 5A in 17 games.

With his two goal game last night, he hits the 20G pace mark.

Even removing one of his goals from last night and giving him 6 in 15, that's a 33 goal pace.

I swear McGinn is going to put up a few 30 goal seasons in his career, and a lot of 20+ seasons.

His shooting percentage is starting to come up as well, it's currently 8.9.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Ordered his jersey a few weeks back. Hope he's on this team for a long time. He's a good complimentary player on a scoring line and has the best release on the team.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
He is going to put up 40-45 points. And hopefully cross the 30 goal mark on some occasion. Can't expect consistency though. He will have a goalless stretch of 10 games and then score three nights in a row. That is normal.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So long as he doesn't forget to do the other things that make him NHL-worthy (hitting everything in sight, crashing the net, solid defensive play) I think the goals will come. No, I don't think he will ever be a 30-goal guy, but that's okay.

One thing I'd like to see McGinn do more is actually create traffic/screens in front of the net. He can crash the net, sure, but one thing I found disconcerting this season was that without Landeskog, we didn't really have much in terms of presence in the slot, and there's simply no excuse for that kind of play with a roster that loaded up on grit the past few seasons.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3