Speculation: Jamie McGinn

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
So long as he doesn't forget to do the other things that make him NHL-worthy (hitting everything in sight, crashing the net, solid defensive play) I think the goals will come. No, I don't think he will ever be a 30-goal guy, but that's okay.

One thing I'd like to see McGinn do more is actually create traffic/screens in front of the net. He can crash the net, sure, but one thing I found disconcerting this season was that without Landeskog, we didn't really have much in terms of presence in the slot, and there's simply no excuse for that kind of play with a roster that loaded up on grit the past few seasons.

This isn't in McGinn's defense at all (Quite the opposite in fact.), but he did come in a bit out of shape. He played ok, but a touch below his abilities while also going through being snake bitten.

As for the teams ability to create havoc around the net. Early in the season Landeskog was concussed, and O'Reilly was gone. Even then for a little while after Landeskog returned he wasn't bringing as much physicality. As well as the fact that Jones is and was, crap.

So I think McGinn contributed to that part of our game failing but he was still hungry around the net. I think he wants to be a goal scorer so he was focused on shooting instead of fighting for rebounds.

The last 5-10 games it seems like hes learning to balance it out a little IMO.

Also, I was wondering if we'd see McGinn improve as the season went on baring any major injuries, and he has. That says to me that conditioning was a factor as well IMO.

This stuff is just kind of an under the radar positive on the season though. There are still quite a few things that point to McGinn having the upside we seen at the end of last year. He's showing some ups and downs but some improvement as well. Which means he's learning instead of a 'You get what you see' type of situation.

I'm still hopeful that he can learn to be a 25+ a season guy consistently with a few 30 goal seasons.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Over his last 82 games McGinn has put in 23 goals and 44 points, 25-50 is certainly not out of the question, especially considering that about a fourth of those were playing with the Sharks on a checking line.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Over his last 82 games McGinn has put in 23 goals and 44 points, 25-50 is certainly not out of the question, especially considering that about a fourth of those were playing with the Sharks on a checking line.

This is pretty much what I expect out of him. Those are solid 2nd line wing numbers in today's NHL.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Yeah only 21 games and 4 of those goals were with the Sharks.

The difference between 23-30 isn't really that huge when you consider how snake bitten he was to start the season.

So you add another 2-3 goals from the 21 games with SJ (Assuimg you switch those to top 6 ice time.) 2-3 more on this season (removing the McPing spell), and you have 27-29 goals over that 82 game span.

Ahhh I want him to rip off a 30 goal season next year soooooo bad lol. I really believe he's capable of it.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If he wasn't so unlucky to start the season he could easily have another 5 goals right now.

A 16 Goal, 27 point season through 45 games would be pretty damn good for the guy.

His release is nasty. The water bottle snipe he had the other night was sweet.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If he wasn't so unlucky to start the season he could easily have another 5 goals right now.

A 16 Goal, 27 point season through 45 games would be pretty damn good for the guy.

His release is nasty. The water bottle snipe he had the other night was sweet.

This just reminds me even more how disgusting Jones has been this year, because McGinn had a rough start and has turned things around. Jones has only gotten worse...

IceyDice

Sep 16, 2012
Yeah only 21 games and 4 of those goals were with the Sharks.

The difference between 23-30 isn't really that huge when you consider how snake bitten he was to start the season.

So you add another 2-3 goals from the 21 games with SJ (Assuimg you switch those to top 6 ice time.) 2-3 more on this season (removing the McPing spell), and you have 27-29 goals over that 82 game span.

Ahhh I want him to rip off a 30 goal season next year soooooo bad lol. I really believe he's capable of it.

Agreed, big McGinn fan and I believe he'll hit 30 goals with us.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00