Speculation: Jamie Kompon

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
He played 3 seasons in ECHL and has 4 goals, 13 assists and 107 penalty minutes.

This dude is in charge of our PP.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
20220821_122241.jpg

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I’m watching PPs that work, even when they don’t score but have very high danger chances… one thing in common, they shoot. Either a quick pass to the slot and an immediate release, or D position guys who are moving laterally and get the puck on the net with deflections or blocks in the way.

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I’m watching PPs that work, even when they don’t score but have very high danger chances… one thing in common, they shoot. Either a quick pass to the slot and an immediate release, or D position guys who are moving laterally and get the puck on the net with deflections or blocks in the way.
Yeah whereas we like to pass. In the Seattle game I think I seen us pass to someone who'd fallen to the ice. Haha I'd at least like some fresh new eyes come in and give it a try, hell give Tuomo a shot at running it.

Reactions: KW

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Maybe its just the curse of Panthers hockey.

I made my username 15 years ago over the reluctance to shoot the puck on the PP
Outside of Garrison and Hoffman the Powerplay seems to have a common theme of passing it 80 times to stationary players on the perimeter until someone losing control of the puck.

Reactions: Jakeybonz

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Yeah, this is going to be about Barkov. It is what it is.
One thing, take Barkov off of the perimeter and put him inside the defense. He's never going to do much more than pass it around the perimeter outside. There are opportunities that are going to never come if you don't even think about focusing on the net. And It's not just shooting at the net that's the only thing. In this game you have to show the importance of putting your attention on the net. It's not a game of pass, it's a game of hockey. You have to manipulate the defense. You can't make it as easy to defend. The defenders can just sit back and watch you pass it around the perimeter. All they have to do is put someone in between him and the net, and the area totally doesn't exist anymore. That's just too easy defense in the NHL. It's one thing someone can't do something. It's another thing if someone has the ability and doesn't do it.

Put him in close proximity to defenders, where he has no choice to but use his natural tools. He has no time to think, just react. No time to get in position to only make a pass before he has the puck. The one time that they might put some pressure on is when they try to set up that one play to Reinhart where he one times it.
Actually put some pressure on the opponent. Instead of letting them just relax and watch you pass it around the perimeter.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
We are currently ranked 20th in PP%. The teams right ahead of us are San Jose, Avalanche, Kraken, Predators and LA Kings.

The teams right behind us? Wild, Senators, Canadiens, Jets, Blue jackets.

With the exception of the Avalanche, we have far more offensive star power and depth than any of those teams.

Tkachuk and our defenseman QBing the powerplay have all been much less productive than last year.

Montour and Ekblad combine for 6 points in 12 games, Tkachuk is 8 points away from being a PPG when he was among the league leaders in points essentially throughout most of the season.

I don't think our coaching is helping matters, like not putting Tkachuk near the net. But some accountability has to be thrown in the direction of the players as well.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Yeah, this is going to be about Barkov. It is what it is.
One thing, take Barkov off of the perimeter and put him inside the defense. He's never going to do much more than pass it around the perimeter outside. There are opportunities that are going to never come if you don't even think about focusing on the net. And It's not just shooting at the net that's the only thing. In this game you have to show the importance of putting your attention on the net. It's not a game of pass, it's a game of hockey. You have to manipulate the defense. You can't make it as easy to defend. The defenders can just sit back and watch you pass it around the perimeter. All they have to do is put someone in between him and the net, and the area totally doesn't exist anymore. That's just too easy defense in the NHL. It's one thing someone can't do something. It's another thing if someone has the ability and doesn't do it.

Put him in close proximity to defenders, where he has no choice to but use his natural tools. He has no time to think, just react. No time to get in position to only make a pass before he has the puck. The one time that they might put some pressure on is when they try to set up that one play to Reinhart where he one times it.
Actually put some pressure on the opponent. Instead of letting them just relax and watch you pass it around the perimeter.
I like the idea of moving Barkov down low somewhere. The easiest would be to switch spots with him and Tkachuk.

Unlikely to get worse that way.

Marco 85

Jan 13, 2021
I like the idea of moving Barkov down low somewhere. The easiest would be to switch spots with him and Tkachuk.

Unlikely to get worse that way.
I think moving Barkov to the bench is what should happen.
i know sacrilegious. Right? But is it?
if he won’t take charge and shoot.
He’s a negative on the PP

Send him a message.

Be aggressive or watch.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Have always hated the Umbrella or variation of that for the PP.
Goal line to half wall to slot should be the main emphasis of attention.
IMO it's easier to pull a defender out of position as well as he may chase behind the net for a 2 on 1, creating an opening out front or open lane for half wall.

Goalies have to look over their shoulder to locate puck carrier if Barkov is behind the net, this is literally the best spot for Barkov if he won't shoot. His ability to use the net and body/size to shield the puck but can also be passing for a one timers should be stressed at all times.
He can come out for a jam play or wrist a puck bar down over goalie too.

It's a simple triangle setup, Gretzky used it for nearly 2 decades, "his office".
Montour and Ekblad have that ability to get pucks on net but the constant resetting of the current Umbrella, focusing farther away from the net allows for pucks leaving the OZ. It also allows the goalie to have his attention facing forwards, not side to side.

Have Ekblad and Montour waiting for one timers in faceoff dots if need be but it's beyond maddening watching most of the league use this Umbrella setup.

Why we don't try more tip in, deflections as well, not even on the PP but in general just to switch up attacks/looks while in the OZ.
Our forwards have missed the net too much of late and defensemen outside OEL are having harder time getting pucks through traffic.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
IMO it's easier to pull a defender out of position as well as he may chase behind the net for a 2 on 1, creating an opening out front or open lane for half wall.

Goalies have to look over their shoulder to locate puck carrier if Barkov is behind the net, this is literally the best spot for Barkov if he won't shoot. His ability to use the net and body/size to shield the puck but can also be passing for a one timers should be stressed at all times.

It's a simple triangle setup, Gretzky used it for nearly 2 decades, "his office".
Montour and Ekblad have that ability to get pucks on net but the constant resetting of the current Umbrella, focusing farther away from the net allows for pucks leaving the OZ. It also allows the goalie to have his attention facing forwards, not side to side.

Have Ekblad and Montour waiting for one timers in faceoff dots if need be but it's beyond maddening watching most of the league use this Umbrella setup.

Why we don't try more tip in, deflections as well, not even on the PP but in general just to switch up attacks/looks while in the OZ.
Our forwards have missed the net too much of late and defensemen outside OEL are having harder time getting pucks through traffic.
Spot on. We are just not playing well enough to get our umbrella going with setting up onetimers, we are way too stationary, players need to move more.

I leave on of my favourite PP goals we ever scored here. Brad Boyes against Colorado. Look at the movement of the whole unit - it was a set up play perfectly executed, it nevertheless shows how you break up any PK formation when players are moving around.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I don’t know how many more times this moron has to fail at this to either get fired or switch it the f*** up. The PK switched and has done well. Maybe it’s not personnel and it’s the PP template you ape.

Reactions: Great8Cam

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Spot on. We are just not playing well enough to get our umbrella going with setting up onetimers, we are way too stationary, players need to move more.

I leave on of my favourite PP goals we ever scored here. Brad Boyes against Colorado. Look at the movement of the whole unit - it was a set up play perfectly executed, it nevertheless shows how you break up any PK formation when players are moving around.

What a throwback - loved that goal as well.

Although I will say, that’s obv a very set play which is must easier to execute 4 on 3

Edit: and reto berra in net ;)

Last edited:

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007

Tampa Powerplay is very dangerous because of deflections, I always wonder why can't we do that, there is no lane to shoot, ok, then pass it hard to another player showing the blade to deflect it. We have the skill for that, it is a head scratcher.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Tampa Powerplay is very dangerous because of deflections, I always wonder why can't we do that, there is no lane to shoot, ok, then pass it hard to another player showing the blade to deflect it. We have the skill for that, it is a head scratcher.
Tampa power play is very dangerous because Kucherov is an elite shooter and probably the best playmaker on the PP. His passing is insane especially the fake one timer pass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad