News Article: James van Riemsdyk expected to sign contract with Flyers

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
JVR is not perfect, but he was a good soldier for us and possibly the best in the league at the niche he carved. His production will be missed.

Reactions: francis246

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Flyers may be really good soon. Great D slowly maturing. I also liked the O'Brian and Farabee picks. Supposedly, Farabee tore up their development camp. JVR will help them too.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
They'll be complaining about his game as loudly as they did before he was shipped out. They didn't like his game while they had convinced him to sacrifice his body more than he ever did with the Leafs. It would be a mistake by both parties IMO but I get it he's from NJ.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I guess it's just as though they loaned him to us until he hit UFA. Now they just paid up pretty much what we would have had to for a 5 year deal. We must have another player coming in that is better or perhaps a slightly lesser player coming in that is cheaper.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
7 mil a year.... yeah, no thanks.

JVR was a good soldier, a very effective player at times, and we'll miss his production.... for a few seconds, until the Tavares signing breaks, then it'll be forgotten in the dustbin of history.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Playoff teams almost never trade their UFAs away. Get used to it.
While this is true, I do think (hope?) there's a chance we see Dubas err on the side of asset management when it comes to players he understands won't be in the long-term plans. Making moves in the off-season prior to a player hitting free agency can be a way to bring in value for them without dashing the hopes of a team in the thick of things.

Gardiner, right now, is a perfect example. If he's looking to sign for $6M per year after this season (which I believe he deserves, but am not comfortable giving him) then move him out right now, before it takes a bite out of your team's mid-season successes, and allow your team to gel right from the beginning of the year, giving them the best chance to mitigate the effects of his departure. In trading him, you try to return pieces that will be in your team's longer-term plans, such as a RHD to balance out our blueline, or the picks/prospects required to acquire that RHD.

If you can avoid players walking away for nothing, while remaining competitive, I think it's a pretty wise decision to do so.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
While this is true, I do think (hope?) there's a chance we see Dubas err on the side of asset management when it comes to players he understands won't be in the long-term plans. Making moves in the off-season prior to a player hitting free agency can be a way to bring in value for them without dashing the hopes of a team in the thick of things.

Gardiner, right now, is a perfect example. If he's looking to sign for $6M per year after this season (which I believe he deserves, but am not comfortable giving him) then move him out right now, before it takes a bite out of your team's mid-season successes, and allow your team to gel right from the beginning of the year, giving them the best chance to mitigate the effects of his departure. In trading him, you try to return pieces that will be in your team's longer-term plans, such as a RHD to balance out our blueline, or the picks/prospects required to acquire that RHD.

If you can avoid players walking away for nothing, while remaining competitive, I think it's a pretty wise decision to do so.

Ideally you get sign and trade situations, that or you trade RFA 1-2 seasons prior to they hit that stage.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
$7M is definitely a little steep. If he can't bang and crash in front of the net for those tap-ins and deflections; he's basically useless. The term is decent though. Not a bad deal, just not a deal that would've been right for Toronto.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

and i think that's how it should be.

get it done in the summer. if you can't. you have to do it early enough that it doesn't "make" an impact. ie - before Christmas, not, at the deadline. I don't know of many teams that would strip themselves of nearly an entire line. now if it was simply Lou not wanting to "rebuild" anymore or what - but i simply don't think the legitimate offer was there because i have to believe they would have taken it and adapted. (though there are a lot of reports that Lou didn't get quality players that Tampa did like that Gourde guy so who knows)

again while i don't think we can do it all the time. (obviously) i also thing the general we need to realise that also benefiting from anyone's services is also a viable option. it would be great to get more. but just having them is also a boon too.

with that being said, defensemen of Jake's caliber is v. valuable so i'd ensure to move him out or have him signed before camp.

Reactions: IBeL34f

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
also bye James.
i woulda been pissed if we offered him that much (I'm surprised that Hextall did)

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Leafs never had much interest in keeping him. Not a guy you pay 7 million per in a cap world.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
also bye James.
i woulda been pissed if we offered him that much (I'm surprised that Hextall did)
It's only over 5 years, though, so I don't think it's quite as bad as something that would've taken him to 36 or whatever. Still pricey, but with the cap going up, might not be the anchor we've seen from UFA contracts in the past. I wish him the best, and hope Flyers fans are comfortable with the fact that he's basically the same player they gave up back in 2012.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Thanks for nothing JVR. Never liked your lazy ass game. Remember toback check and play defense against the leafs with the same intensity you did when with leafs

Reactions: Leaf4Life

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Good for JVR. Flyers fans are smart enough to now what they’re getting as well, so saying “buyer beware” doesn’t really apply here.

Best net front PP presence in the league. He had his flaws but that niche alone was very, very valuable for us, especially when we had the chance to shelter him at even strength.

Agreed. And ideally, you shouldn’t have to shelter a $7MM aav player in a cap world. His leaving is a net gain for the franchise.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I would have taken him back on this deal at this term, if we were to miss out on Tavares. On a front loaded contract I think he could have been moved within those 5 years. Well thanks for everything JVR, I enjoyed watching him and I think we will miss his production a lot. Our left side looks weak as hell right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad