James Mirtle and The Athletic

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
It'is shameful that this news site is just a propaganda machine for Kyle "Dubler" Dubas. Mirtle has lost all his credibility. I know he's BFF with Dubas, but now this debacle is just simply horrifying. Leafs fans deserve better.

Reactions: hotpaws

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I find The Athletic very useful. Not just for Leafs coverage but for all things sports. They have a bunch of different writers and use facts and statistics to back up their arguments. I've had it a bit over a year. I know some people find it a waste of money but if you can afford about 8 bucks a month it's a great source.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
It'is shameful that this news site is just a propaganda machine for Kyle "Dubler" Dubas. Mirtle has lost all his credibility. I know he's BFF with Dubas, but now this debacle is just simply horrifying. Leafs fans deserve better.
You don't have to read it.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
For a guy so apparently close to Dubas he doesn't seem to get many inside scoops. I think it's just manufactured, really they are just like minded.

If you listen to the Leafs report podcast they tend to be a little looser with discussing rumors but I'd agree the connection here is way overblown.

A few of the staff writers have a few connections to the Leafs stats guys (and Bourne used to work for the Marlies) but this idea the two are in cahoots is just pure fantasy

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Every GM has one or two close relationships with member(s) of the media. It's what smart GM's do. Not everything is roses sometimes you need the media's help. FWIW, Dubas seems to understand the importance of the media in this city based off of how he communicates with them along with addressing them by their name, which is a nice touch.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
A) Mirtle just thinks the game similarly to Dubas. He's allowed to do that, and you're allowed to think otherwise.

B) You kinda have to go out of your way to read The Athletic. If you don't like it, stop doing that.

KobeBean143

VINO #24 #8 #2 MVP
Mar 13, 2015
I find The Athletic very useful. Not just for Leafs coverage but for all things sports. They have a bunch of different writers and use facts and statistics to back up their arguments. I've had it a bit over a year. I know some people find it a waste of money but if you can afford about 8 bucks a month it's a great source.
8 bucks?? Dude buy it on sale through the US, I paid 29 for the year.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
8 bucks?? Dude buy it on sale through the US, I paid 29 for the year.
Don't know how to do that. Does it require getting a VPN? Throwing numbers out there my point is it's really not that expensive. People always talk about how it's a waste of money. It really isn't but it also depends on what's interesting for you.

KobeBean143

VINO #24 #8 #2 MVP
Mar 13, 2015
Don't know how to do that. Does it require getting a VPN? Throwing numbers out there my point is it's really not that expensive. People always talk about how it's a waste of money. It really isn't but it also depends on what's interesting for you.
No man, just google it, and it will take you to all kinds of discounts, and the branches in the states give you better discount offers than mirtle does.
And absolutely even at 8 bucks it’s good deal.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
The only thing I'll say is that I laugh when people link to this website as proof of something. Like I'm going to join a paid propaganda site to follow your link. And these are generally the same people who complain about CBC commentators that have to maintain at least a semblance of journalistic integrity.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
If you hate Kyle Dubas you are the problem. Typical leaf fans overreacting to everything in hopes of appearing ahead of the curve so you can brag about it later. There is a little Interactif in all of you.

Reactions: Slyfox

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
A) Mirtle just thinks the game similarly to Dubas. He's allowed to do that, and you're allowed to think otherwise.

B) You kinda have to go out of your way to read The Athletic. If you don't like it, stop doing that.

The Athletic is the single greatest sports source I’ve ever had. I used to pay 6 or 7 bucks a day for the Star, Globe, Post, Sun and my local paper. I have never agreed with Mirtle on everything he writes but it’s at least thought provoking.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
As I posted the previous time this was brought up, who cares if one media member shills for the team's general manager? If it were all media then I wouldn't like it. Trust me, certain individuals in the media with many readers/listeners have shilled for hockey people many times before. There were old writers in fedoras in the 1970's and 1980's who wouldn't publish a single negative word about Harold Ballard. There were media guys, still around these days, who shilled for a terrible Leafs coach in the 1990's (Mike Murphy).

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
The Athletic 100% fantastic. Think I got my year sub for like $3 a month on black friday, even included a T shirt that I don't wear, but hey, I have a t shirt.
I was skeptical about paying too until the discount, but there's far too much trash out there.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
As I posted the previous time this was brought up, who cares if one media member shills for the team's general manager? If it were all media then I wouldn't like it. Trust me, certain individuals in the media with many readers/listeners have shilled for hockey people many times before. There were old writers in fedoras in the 1970's and 1980's who wouldn't publish a single negative word about Harold Ballard. There were media guys, still around these days, who shilled for a terrible Leafs coach in the 1990's (Mike Murphy).

Neil Young’s father Scott shamelessly did Punch Imlachs bidding for years. Mirtle has a slant to the so called fancy stats guys but in no way is he or anyone at the Athletic in Kyles pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad