Prospect Info: James "Jimmy" Clark, W, 213rd Overall, 2023 Draft

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
The Minnesota Wild take James "Jimmy" Clark with the #213 pick in the 2023 Draft.

Birth date: September 4th, 2004
Position: W
Shoots: L
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 180kbs

Rankings:

Ranked #110 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #210 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #146 by DAILY FACEOFF
Ranked #171 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #98 by RECRUIT SCOUTING
Ranked #217 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY

EliteProspects said:
Clark doesn’t just advance the puck to open teammates; he creates those openings with fake shots and look offs before slipping pucks through traffic. With a quick fake, he pulls defenders towards him and dekes through them. Where many offload the puck, he waits a split-second to find a better option. And he pulls off all these plays at top speed.

Last edited:

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
"He was a standout worker, especially on the defensive end with his supporting reads, anticipation, and knack for out-of-nowhere steals...He adapts his game to the situation, playing a more give-and-go, off-puck style when necessary...He’s mostly an open ice player at this stage. He tries, but usually struggles with back pressure when he can’t deceive it, likely as a consequence of the skating."

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good pick by you guys. I was a big fan of this player, and I think he could be a steal.

I’m sure some of you already know about him, as he’s a local Minnesota kid.

I think he has some sneaky upside. For where he’s picked, you’d think he lacks offense, but he has pretty good puck handling, he can pass, shoot, he has good hockey sense, and I think he’s good at protecting the puck. There’s some grit to his game and it’s possible he could play center, but the real impediment to that and his whole game is his skating. He’s not like some mammoth dude, so despite playing a slightly heavy game, his skating needs to improve. I think it already did this past season and he ended the season very strong, but overall I’d say this is a guy who may have some middle 6 upside to bring a little of everything if he can improve his skating. Another thing that maybe hurt his draft profile is that he was very old for his draft. Nothing he can do about that, but it looks a little better when the players are born late August as opposed to late September.

I was a big fan of the draft you guys had. Bracket really knows what he’s doing. The reputation is no joke. He’s very good at finding these players, and I think Clark may be another one.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Good pick by you guys. I was a big fan of this player, and I think he could be a steal.

I’m sure some of you already know about him, as he’s a local Minnesota kid.

I think he has some sneaky upside. For where he’s picked, you’d think he lacks offense, but he has pretty good puck handling, he can pass, shoot, he has good hockey sense, and I think he’s good at protecting the puck. There’s some grit to his game and it’s possible he could play center, but the real impediment to that and his whole game is his skating. He’s not like some mammoth dude, so despite playing a slightly heavy game, his skating needs to improve. I think it already did this past season and he ended the season very strong, but overall I’d say this is a guy who may have some middle 6 upside to bring a little of everything if he can improve his skating. Another thing that maybe hurt his draft profile is that he was very old for his draft. Nothing he can do about that, but it looks a little better when the players are born late August as opposed to late September.

I was a big fan of the draft you guys had. Bracket really knows what he’s doing. The reputation is no joke. He’s very good at finding these players, and I think Clark may be another one.

I hope you are right. Everyone talks about how strong the Wild's pool of prospects are, but none of Brackett's picks have seen much NHL action as of yet.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I hope you are right. Everyone talks about how strong the Wild's pool of prospects are, but none of Brackett's picks have seen much NHL action as of yet.
To be fair, he’s only been here for 3 years almost to the day (hired July 9th, 2020). Most kids don’t make the NHL roster in the 18-21 age range.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
To be fair, he’s only been here for 3 years almost to the day (hired July 9th, 2020). Most kids don’t make the NHL roster in the 18-21 age range.

That's true. Although from the 2020 draft, there are a few players selected after Rossi that have already made an impact in the NHL (Lundell, Jarvis, Mercer). I'm not dunking on Brackett, but so far we only have potential to grade him on. Time will tell if these prospects actually turn into something. I think they will, but we will see.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
letterkenny-to-be-fair.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad