Jamaica holds tryouts to put a team together

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
Cool!

But it looks like only about half are native Jamaican. Maybe they can play the Kuwaiti or UAE hockey teams!

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
Maybe they could play in the Z pool! :laugh:

That is surprising if no rinks in Kingston because it is a modern city would think some millionaire wouldve built one by now.

CH3NO2

Jul 9, 2011
Maybe they could play in the Z pool! :laugh:

That is surprising if no rinks in Kingston because it is a modern city would think some millionaire wouldve built one by now.

This is true..... Probably could sell out some exhibition games if you brought the Toronto "Marlies" to town:sarcasm:

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
The next step in to get a mainland African ice hockey team. I'm pretty sure South Africa has one and maybe Egypt but Nigeria and Kenya need some cold steel on ice!

Purple hippo

Jan 3, 2010
Louvain-la-Neuve
The next step in to get a mainland African ice hockey team. I'm pretty sure South Africa has one and maybe Egypt but Nigeria and Kenya need some cold steel on ice!

Africa has countries who play hockey, just most of them are not IIHF sanctioned to compete in tournaments, on South Africa is. However, Morocco has competed in some tournaments, Algeria has as well and it seems like they would be making the jump sooner or later. Tunisia just played their first matches a couple of months ago and Kenya has a rink but no leagues or national team. Namibia is a member of the IIHF but believe they only have inline at the moment.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Africa has countries who play hockey, just most of them are not IIHF sanctioned to compete in tournaments, on South Africa is. However, Morocco has competed in some tournaments, Algeria has as well and it seems like they would be making the jump sooner or later. Tunisia just played their first matches a couple of months ago and Kenya has a rink but no leagues or national team. Namibia is a member of the IIHF but believe they only have inline at the moment.

Semir Ben-Amor, a forward of Jokerit Helsinki was actually invited to play for Tunisia.

Purple hippo

Jan 3, 2010
Louvain-la-Neuve
Semir Ben-Amor, a forward of Jokerit Helsinki was actually invited to play for Tunisia.

Do you happen to know if he played in the match? I heard they invited some pretty well known players and I saw a picture of his parents with the ATG at the airport, but havent found their roster yet or if his parents where just there on holiday.

Shlapshot

Jun 12, 2014
Do you happen to know if he played in the match? I heard they invited some pretty well known players and I saw a picture of his parents with the ATG at the airport, but havent found their roster yet or if his parents where just there on holiday.

In French but this should help you:
http://www.tunisie-hockey.com/#!les-joueurs/c1212

There is even a video from USA Today on the ATHG website

Summary of the first official game by the Tunisian national team (French) also on the French Hockey Federation where the game was played in June:
http://www.hockeyfrance.com/ffhg/ac...du-hockey-tunisien?highlight=WyJ0dW5pc2llIl0=

Looks like they will have their first rink in Tunisia in early 2015.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
It's a bit misleading to say Africa has countries that play hockey. Tunisia or Algeria do not play hockey: France plays hockey and it just so happens that some of the French players are also vaguely Tunisian or Algerian. None of them are likely to become eligible for these countries anytime soon, since the countries would first need a rink (one is planned for next year in Tunisia), then a league, and then the players to actually move there for two seasons.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
It's a bit misleading to say Africa has countries that play hockey. Tunisia or Algeria do not play hockey: France plays hockey and it just so happens that some of the French players are also vaguely Tunisian or Algerian. None of them are likely to become eligible for these countries anytime soon, since the countries would first need a rink (one is planned for next year in Tunisia), then a league, and then the players to actually move there for two seasons.

Indeed, I sort of know a kid over here in the UK who played all his hockey here but was the goalie for Algeria

They aren't a full IIHF member and can't play in proper sanctioned events but they do have a national team and play against similar countries

Calirose

Mar 31, 2012
6ix
Nobody seems to have posted this here yet. The Jamaican Olympic Ice Hockey Federation held tryouts in Toronto for ice hockey players with Jamaican roots and they had players from all the way from D.C. and Sweden there. They also have plans to build a rink in Jamaica.

The national team is being guided by the only Jamaican-born NHL'er in history, Graeme Townshend.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Jamaica-ice-hockey-tryouts-a-big-success_17412529

How can they play for Jamaica in the Olympics if they are Canadian/Swedish/American? That one kid has markham islanders pants, wouldn't he need a lot more than just Jamaican ethnicity to represent them at the olympics?

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
How can they play for Jamaica in the Olympics if they are Canadian/Swedish/American?
How? By playing two league seasons in a Jamaica-based club, and then actually qualifying for the Olympics.

That one kid has markham islanders pants, wouldn't he need a lot more than just Jamaican ethnicity to represent them at the olympics?
I don't think there are special provisions for players with markham islanders pants.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Imagine if PK, Jordan and Malcolm all decide to play for Jamaica.

I doubt they ever would consider that. The Subban trio (especially PK and Malcolm) wouldn't sacrifice a spot on team Canada, where they can play with the best players in the world. However, it would be an interesting scenario.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
I doubt they ever would consider that. The Subban trio (especially PK and Malcolm) wouldn't sacrifice a spot on team Canada, where they can play with the best players in the world. However, it would be an interesting scenario.
They would need to play 4 seasons in Jamaica to become eligible.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
How can they play for Jamaica in the Olympics if they are Canadian/Swedish/American? That one kid has markham islanders pants, wouldn't he need a lot more than just Jamaican ethnicity to represent them at the olympics?

Olympic participation is based on being a national of a country, citizenship is not needed, so Jamaica could consider anyone with Jamaican ancestry a national.

I believe the IIHF is more strict so not sure which governing rules would apply for the Olympics.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad