Recalled/Assigned: Jakub Kindl Recalled

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Maybe at this point it would be better for XO to practice with the big team. He could even go back to the griffins on Friday

They won't have a practice this week. They play tonight, tomorrow and again on Saturday, and have to fly back to Detroit after tomorrows game wiping out the only day off they have.

There is literally no benefit at all to the team in calling up Ouellet or any other prospect over Kindl.

People are reading way too much into what was a very easy decision.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
lol, piece of garbage GM strikes again

cant draft, develop, sign or trade for dmen properly so much so that a league wide castaway is our best option

What are you talking about? This move is exactly the right move, and is in the best interest of all the prospects in the organization. The only person hurt marginally in this is Kindl because he's not going to be playing in the AHL or the NHL.

Perhaps bolding it will make it more clear.

Kindl is called up to sit in the pressbox with the Mothers on this trip, he is not called up to play.

How would calling up a prospect help their development in any way whatsoever? the call up is not going to get to play, there are no Red Wing practices in the next few days, and the AHL season restarts again tomorrow. Having Kindl sit on in the pressbox in the NHL at least free's up a roster spot in Grand Rapids for one of the kids with a future in the organization.

People complaining about this move are being ridiculous and are complaining for complaining sake.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
I guess this doesn't make sense if the Griffins don't play at all to we get back from
Florida. He isn't taking away game time from oullete even if he is in the press box.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
What are you talking about? This move is exactly the right move, and is in the best interest of all the prospects in the organization. The only person hurt marginally in this is Kindl because he's not going to be playing in the AHL or the NHL.

Perhaps bolding it will make it more clear.

Kindl is called up to sit in the pressbox with the Mothers on this trip, he is not called up to play.

How would calling up a prospect help their development in any way whatsoever? the call up is not going to get to play, there are no Red Wing practices in the next few days, and the AHL season restarts again tomorrow. Having Kindl sit on in the pressbox in the NHL at least free's up a roster spot in Grand Rapids for one of the kids with a future in the organization.

People complaining about this move are being ridiculous and are complaining for complaining sake.

first of all i deleted what i said as i said it in disgust, you were just too quick

that said, i have 0% faith that their is 0% chance kindl will only see the pressbox or the ahl for us the rest of this season or either of the next two(his contract) and thus the very idea that he COULD see ice time with us bothers me to no end

people who think kindl has no chance to ever see NHL action with the DRW ever again are naive

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Do I need to point out that you're having to go back nearly 20 years to try to build a point around guys making the blueline?

My impression of your question was what a dman prospect had to do to make the team early. I was merely pointing out the examples we had of players who did that, and then citing what they did as likely examples of the unspoken standard you were wondering about.

And even then Kronwall and Ericsson were 25 when they played their first full seasons in Detroit (or turned 25 that season, depending on when their respective birthdays fell),

Kronwall was up when he was 22 and had a couple years where he missed a bunch of games due to injury. Also, the lockout cost him the 04-05 season.

Ericsson's a more borderline example, obviously, but we're talking about guys on D who come up 'early'. He didn't come up super duper early, but a year or so.

and Dekeyser came up when we were decimated by injuries and we were leaning on the likes of Brian Lashoff to get us through the season.

Not exactly. Dekeyser's first game was with Ericsson, Kindl, Kronwall, Quincey and White... and he played 16:36. By his fourth game he was playing 19:49. At age 22.

Ficher got his start when roster limits were higher - something I wish they'd revisit considering the high energy games now being played from start to finish.

He also got his start under Scotty bleeping Bowman, not exactly a stalwart fan of injecting youth into the lineup, on a team with Lidstrom, Murphy and Chelios on it... and he was 19. I mean, come on.

For the most part, I'd agree with you about Detroit's philosophy barring some outliers (Lashoff, Glendening, Andersson come immediately to mind)

Those are guys projected to be depth players, though. Totally different. Detroit really doesn't care too much about seasoning guys like that because their roles are going to be so limited it hardly matters, and "you" don't care if they season those prospects because nobody really thinks they're any good anyway.

, but that doesn't mean I think it's the best way of doing it. It's part of what led us to dumping ~$5m into Kindl/Smith, and another $4m into Quincey to fill out the bottom half of our blueline.

I think you're misdiagnosing the symptoms and rolling in a couple problems into one. Detroit overspent a bit on Kindl and Smith because, at least in Kindl's case, he had put together a halfways decent stretch right before he went FA. In both cases, they were #1's. Any team is going to give a 1 more rope and more time. That's just the way it is. You get picked in the 1st, you're going to get more shots than you would if you got picked later.

As far as Quincey goes, this touches on a more central disconnect I likely have with you in particular, but lots of fans here in general. My impression is that a lot of you guys think that Detroit doesn't have young dmen up because they develop them poorly. I think they don't have young dmen up because none of their young dmen are any good.

When Detroit has had good young dmen (see the limited examples above), they've moved through the system chop-chop.

Tying that back into Quincey, the team did what they did with him because they didn't think anybody in their system was going to be better. That riles the people who think Quincey is awful, of course. Personally, I think he's a serviceable 4ish dman. And the Wings didn't see anyone in their system at the time of being able to do that.

Has Detroit had a bunch of top3 quality D knocking on the door? No, at this point it's probably safe to say they haven't, but they've had several who could have taken those 4-7 jobs at a fraction of the cost and we wouldn't have lost anything on the ice.

Detroit would disagree with that last bit, and so would I.

I don't see why it's not being looked at to expand the rosters again. It would give teams more flexibility with subbing players in/out to keep them fresh, and allow slower grooming of players - like the Wings did with Fischer in his rookie year - since they don't have to play him every night. To me it's win/win for the league and the players (more jobs).

A team could accomplish the same thing simply by being more judicious in the amount of time they play their dmen.

Also, a reason why the NHLPA might not like that idea is that it would drive the league average salary down and further stress the middle class population in the league. If teams can just add another handful of cheapies at the bottom of their rosters, fewer teams are going to go hard at middle of the road vets, not when they can take 3 or 4 more rolls of the dice with cheap prospects or league minimum vet reclamation projects.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
My impression of your question was what a dman prospect had to do to make the team early. I was merely pointing out the examples we had of players who did that, and then citing what they did as likely examples of the unspoken standard you were wondering about.

Kronwall was up when he was 22 and had a couple years where he missed a bunch of games due to injury. Also, the lockout cost him the 04-05 season.

Ericsson's a more borderline example, obviously, but we're talking about guys on D who come up 'early'. He didn't come up super duper early, but a year or so.

Not exactly. Dekeyser's first game was with Ericsson, Kindl, Kronwall, Quincey and White... and he played 16:36. By his fourth game he was playing 19:49. At age 22.

He also got his start under Scotty bleeping Bowman, not exactly a stalwart n of injecting youth into the lineup, on a team with Lidstrom, Murphy and Chelios on it... and he was 19. I mean, come on.

Those are guys projected to be depth players, though. Totally different. Detroit really doesn't care too much about seasoning guys like that because their roles are going to be so limited it hardly matters, and "you" don't care if they season those prospects because nobody really thinks they're any good anyway.

I think you're misdiagnosing the symptoms and rolling in a couple problems into one. Detroit overspent a bit on Kindl and Smith because, at least in Kindl's case, he had put together a halfways decent stretch right before he went FA. In both cases, they were #1's. Any team is going to give a 1 more rope and more time. That's just the way it is. You get picked in the 1st, you're going to get more shots than you would if you got picked later.

As far as Quincey goes, this touches on a more central disconnect I likely have with you in particular, but lots of fans here in general. My impression is that a lot of you guys think that Detroit doesn't have young dmen up because they develop them poorly. I think they don't have young dmen up because none of their young dmen are any good.

When Detroit has had good young dmen (see the limited examples above), they've moved through the system chop-chop.

Tying that back into Quincey, the team did what they did with him because they didn't think anybody in their system was going to be better. That riles the people who think Quincey is awful, of course. Personally, I think he's a serviceable 4ish dman. And the Wings didn't see anyone in their system at the time of being able to do that.

Detroit would disagree with that last bit, and so would I.

A team could accomplish the same thing simply by being more judicious in the amount of time they play their dmen.

Also, a reason why the NHLPA might not like that idea is that it would drive the league average salary down and further stress the middle class population in the league. If teams can just add another handful of cheapies at the bottom of their rosters, fewer teams are going to go hard at middle of the road vets, not when they can take 3 or 4 more rolls of the dice with cheap prospects or league minimum vet reclamation projects.

You're searching for excuses on Ericsson and Kronwall, they still played their first full seasons at 25, and Dekeyser stepping onto the same blueline with Ian White and Jakub Kindl doesn't exactly run counter to the idea that vets have to play poorly rather than kids play well.

With Kindl/Smith, yeah, former first round picks, and the Wings still had how many seasons to base their judgement off of? The one decent half season not withstanding, neither did much to justify their deals or any real faith that they would get remarkably better.

And I don't really disagree with you about Quincey's abilities, or why the Wings re-signed him. Yeah, they apparently saw him as some sort of great option, and they were wrong. How much does Quincey actually affect how the Wings do...well, how much effect on the wings' record did his current absence have? Personally, I think very little. If he was in the lineup the entire time, I don't think our record is appreciably different from what it is.

The kids don't have to be world beaters to replace these guys.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm looking more at cap...

Why call up Kindl when cheaper cap hits need a look?

I think their answer would be they would rather have those guys play in GR, than sit in the press box in DET.

Which is what I'm hoping is all Kindl does.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
That makes more sense. But I was responding to someone who was commenting on the "3 minutes" a night he'd get. That's not what he'd get if he were playing and I'm not worried about it.

he would if he was the 7th defenseman, as in, the 7th one dressed over a forward being out. That's what I thought this thread was about. Having 7 dmen dressed and playing and down a forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad