Confirmed with Link: Jakob Silfverberg signed for 4 years (3.75M AAV)

duxfever

Mar 29, 2009
Orange, CA
Very cheap deal. Really wished we signed him for longer though at a higher cap hit

Silf and his agent are too smart for that. Same in that he took a one year show me deal and is now cashing in versus taking a longer deal last year in the 1.5-2M dollar range. He will cash in again come FA.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Not a fan of Silf becoming a UFA at such a young age, really wish they could have agreed to either a short term bridge, or a long term deal. This sets Silf up to cash in big time as a 28 year old free agent, which is awesome for him, but maybe not for us.

Four years is a significant chunk of time. Considering they only had buy up one UFA year they're getting him under contract at a pretty good rate. Any longer and that numbers goes way up. I don't like the idea that he can walk at a seemingly young age but that's what happens when a player performs big in a contract year. I think this is a really good deal. Sure I would like to see him tied up for a few years longer but the average salary is really good.

ryan519*

Great deal for you guys. What are your guys' prediction for Silf's goal and assist totals next year? Will he remain on the 2nd line?

Last edited by a moderator:

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Great news, I'm pretty pleased with the deal Murray ended up giving him. The money and term are fair for both sides, and I think there's another element to consider as well in that Silfverberg, while showing good potential, might still be a bit of a risky commitment when looking at the cost to sign him for 5-6+ years. Anything longer than this probably meant really committing to paying him as a top six scorer, and quite frankly he hasn't proven that he is to this point.

Nicely done, Bob, now on to those other Swedes...

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Nice money. Nice term. Me gusta, muy bien.

Per club policy, financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

You wonder why they bother with this policy.

Opened the official news just to say goddamnit. Is this a common policy? I have no idea really. Per club policy, financial terms of the deal were not disclosed, and a minute later a random dude in twitter announces it.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Seems like a formality, cause Zupke dropped the AAV like 3 minutes after the signing was announced.

Nice money. Nice term. Me gusta, muy bien.

Opened the official news just to say goddamnit. Is this a common policy? I have no idea really. Per club policy, financial terms of the deal were not disclosed, and a minute later a random dude in twitter announces it.

Yeah, no clue. It's like its a holdover from the days before the Internet existed. All it does is allow someone else to trump their news announcements.

Oct 18, 2011
no way was silf going to give up alot of UFA years unless he was getting a monster deal, this is good for both sides. Anaheim gets him at a lower than expected cap hit for 4 years, Silf gets to test the market in his prime.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Four years is a significant chunk of time. Considering they only had buy up one UFA year they're getting him under contract at a pretty good rate. Any longer and that numbers goes way up. I don't like the idea that he can walk at a seemingly young age but that's what happens when a player performs big in a contract year. I think this is a really good deal. Sure I would like to see him tied up for a few years longer but the average salary is really good.

Oh I definitely will not be complaining about the AAV, and I understand the trade off there. I still just really hate the idea of Silf becoming a free agent at 28.

Regardless it's great to have such an important piece of our core locked up for less than $4M per for the next four seasons. It's very fair value for what Silf brought to the table last season, and I think the majority of us still expect a spike in production. Hopefully he signs his next contract long before ever hitting free agency and my concerns become completely nullified.

#Selkeberg

Last edited:

Norduck

youllneverquackalone
Feb 9, 2015
CA
Nice deal. Fair value right now for what he did last season / post-season, and potentially a solid-to-great discount if he continues progressing.

Getzholm

Jan 21, 2015
Not sure who will sign first, but I expect Silfverberg to get around 500k per year more than Hagelin. Though he probably deserves 1 mil more.

What are you guys expecting? I'm HOPING for nothing more than 3.5 mil to Silf and 3 to Hagelin. Honestly though, I wouldn't be shocked at all if Silf gets 4. He's definitely worth that much.

My guesses are:

Silfverberg signs for 4 years @ $4 million
Hagelin signs for 3 years @ $3.25 million.

I went back through my posts because I could have sworn I remembered calling this exact contract (4 x 3.75). Apparently I didn't? Although, I said Hags would get 500k less than Silfverberg but still put Silf at 750k more. And I also said I wouldn't be "shocked" if Silf get 4 and still put him as getting 4. I must have made a mistake on accident. I know I meant to put 3.75 here because that was my memory for this guess.

Will you guys still give me credit for calling both it if Hags gets 3 @ 3.25? LOL

Although I think I guessed 4x4 mil the other day... so maybe I don't deserve it for changing my mind in my second guess haha.

Anyway, this is a good deal for our team, though I was hoping to sign him for 5 or 6 years (and a slightly higher AAV would have been fine to do so).

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Good deal because it's the right size for his current offense. It isn't speculating that he will improve. And while I think he will, it isn't a sure thing.

I'm fine with the short term. You don't really want guys on super-bargain contracts because it makes them more adamant to get theirs when UFA comes. I'd rather pay a guy fairly with modest raises the whole time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad