Jakob Silfverberg announces he will retire from the NHL at the end of this season

Doothpick

9-1
Sep 15, 2008
Jere Lehtinen-lite. He was the definition of quiet but effective. It would've been amazing to see Silf in the playoffs one more time, but it wasn't meant to be. Come to think of it knowing what we know now, I'd still do that trade over again for Bobby Ryan, straight-up even.

It's once again end of an era. Happy retirement Silf.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Guy was a warrior for us, sucks the injuries piled up the way they did but you can still see flashes of the player that was. Absolute beast in the playoffs, we wouldn't have gotten as far as we did in 15 and 17 without him. Hope he enjoys retirement or playing in Sweden if that's what he chooses to do.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Probably the smartest defensive winger in franchise history, and still managed to end up with the teams fifth most goals ever. A very good player and a complete class act. It sucks that he lost a good chunk of his prime to those ongoing injury issues, and he deserves more credit for how long he battled through it (didn't it turn out to be two full seasons of hip issues before he final had surgery?)

All the best to Silf, I hope he can become an SHL champion before he hangs them up for good

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
So did we lose the trade?

I wish him the very best going forward. And a heartfelt thanks for everything he did here.
Lose lose probably. Bobby Ryan never really had a great year afterwards. Silf was an okay player for a long time but never more than a third line forward. I’m still not over that we wasted that pick on Ritchie.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
He was a great Duck - he played the game hard and intelligently, and was clearly a leader in the locker room. And I'll agree that the Cogliano - Kesler - Silfverberg line was one of my favorites in Ducks history.

Good luck, Jakob, in your future endeavors!

He falls short of number retirement, but do the Ducks have a team Hall of Fame or a Ring of Honor or something? If they do, does Silfverberg belong there? I say yes.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Pretty expected, but good for him! Solid career…. Really enjoyed the silf cogs Kesler line.

Had some really good playoff runs with us, and his shootout run was fun to watch

He was a great Duck - he played the game hard and intelligently, and was clearly a leader in the locker room. And I'll agree that the Cogliano - Kesler - Silfverberg line was one of my favorites in Ducks history.

Good luck, Jakob, in your future endeavors!

He falls short of number retirement, but do the Ducks have a team Hall of Fame or a Ring of Honor or something? If they do, does Silfverberg belong there? I say yes.
I don’t think we have one yet…. Maybe they needed more legit candidates for it before they do one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad