Player Discussion Jakob Chychrun (D)

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
What did his effort looked like when he first came in?

He has looked the exact same to me. Shys away from contact and uses his patented 1 hand on the stick poke check. Not to mention the amount of terrible turnovers and looking lost offensively.

It was cool to see him return home but the novelty wore off. He came as advertised, a guy that could put up decent offensive numbers but barely any talk about his defensive acumen.

he was more aggressive, used his body and skating, played with more passion. even attacked with more passion.

the passion is what went first. the rest followed.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I've never had an issue with Chychrun's effort as much as his lack of IQ. He has all the tools, but doesn't know when to use it.

He's has great acceleration and can skate like the wind at times, but then goes fancy with his skating for no reason. He has muscles to spare, but he doesn't physically tie someone up, instead chases the puck. Colin Greening on defence

Reactions: DrEasy

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
he was more aggressive, used his body and skating, played with more passion. even attacked with more passion.

the passion is what went first. the rest followed.
Ok so if he tried when he first came here and then stopped when we were losing — why is that worthy of praise? Wouldn’t you rather someone that puts in consistent effort regardless?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think Chabots the play here.

If they don't strike at this losing core that's been allowed to play as they see fit with no consequences for losing: mistakes will keep getting overlooked and responsibilities will keep not being taken seriously. They'll be in the same place next year..

Also just logistically with his cap hit at $8 million for what he brings isn’t good. They move him out and sign/trade for a dude at $5/6 million to play RD they still have $2/3 million left over for a depth forward or another depth Dman or buyout space.

Don’t think we’ll get a ton for Chabot in a trade but moving on and changing the culture of mistake/soft/oops hockey would be a big step forward.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Ok so if he tried when he first came here and then stopped when we were losing — why is that worthy of praise? Wouldn’t you rather someone that puts in consistent effort regardless?

It's not, but people are human. Even Giroux stopped trying after we got eliminated.

But on our team we have players who start playing better and harder only after we get eliminated. I definitely prefer one more over the other.

It's just funny that the talk seems to be we need to get these losers in DBC and Chychrun away from our core and team.

When reality is probably more that these guys want to get away from our losers.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Every time we’ve gone big game hunting in the Dorion era it has come back to bite us in the ass

Duchene - 118 games with Ottawa
Debrincat - 82 games with Ottawa
Chychrun - 94 games with Ottawa so far

Anyone care to cumulate everything we gave up for them?
I’d take milbury

How to ruin a team in 3 trades.
I think the worst summer was the Matt Murray summer.

Despite what he says he went for it to contend for that wild card spot. Second for Murray. Second for stepan. Big money to dadnonov. Gudbrannson.

He went for “vets” that he thought could actually play. And he was dead dead wrong. Ever since those moves he was spinning his wheels trying to erase the bad moves. That’s the summer that really set us back

Reactions: Dionysus

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Also just logistically with his cap hit at $8 million for what he brings isn’t good. They move him out and sign/trade for a dude at $5/6 million to play RD they still have $2/3 million left over for a depth forward or another depth Dman or buyout space.

Don’t think we’ll get a ton for Chabot in a trade but moving on and changing the culture of mistake/soft/oops hockey would be a big step forward.
Agreed.

I think we'd be stronger with Sandy and Zub on our first pairing and a more balanced 2nd pair that can have some bruisers. Maybe an LD like Oleksiak and an RD like DeMelo or Roy. Move on from both our soft LDs and have a harder blueline to play against.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I think Chabots the play here.

If they don't strike at this losing core that's been allowed to play as they see fit with no consequences for losing: mistakes will keep getting overlooked and responsibilities will keep not being taken seriously. They'll be in the same place next year..

What kind of trade could we do for Chabot?

Retention for 4 more years would be a bit rough.

I don't see many trade options where it's a swap of bad contracts. Most players with similar contracts have full NTCs. Karlsson is the one always mentioned. Maybe Grubauer if Seattle wants to move on.

They could look at it as a complete sunk cost and retain for the best possible return, purely to change the culture. But again, that's a tough pill when he has so much term remaining.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
We didn't discuss an extension with him and he doesn't seem to want to stay, so why keep him past the deadline?

Missed opportunity to maximize his value. Now we'll be very fortunate to get a DeBrincat type return for him.

Maybe there were no takers or a solid offer? Off-season Staios may be able to land better assets as he is not limited to bargaining with playoff bound teams.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Maybe there were no takers or a solid offer? Off-season Staios may be able to land better assets as he is not limited to bargaining with playoff bound teams.

Wonder what the market will look like in the offseason. With one year left on his deal and coming off a very average year you have to think that teams won't be throwing themselves at Chychrun. We're definitely looking at a portion of what we gave up for him.

I was a bit surprised he wasn't moved at the deadline because teams are typically more aggressive, especially getting him for 2 runs at low AAV. That's exactly the type of deal contenders like Tampa have made in previous years gettings guys still under contract like Goodrow, Hagel and etc. In the summer it's easier to play hardball with more opportunity to create cap space, move players around and find other players that can fit that role.

At the deadline your sales pitch to a contender is: You get him for 2 runs - it's worth the price.

When you trade a UFA in the offseason the question for the opposing team becomes: Does Chychrun want to stay here because we won't give up that much for 1 year of that player. I have a funny feeling Chychrun will choose the destination he wants because he has all the leverage here. If he doesn't commit to signing a contract we are getting 1 time playoff run value for him.

I'd be surprised if we got more than what we got for Debrincat. 25OA-32OA pick and a bottom 6/bottom pair Dman would be my guess. This trade will hurt value-wise.

This and DBC trades set us back for years to come.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think the natural social media progression with Chychryn is we see him in just fur underwear covered in war paint just running wild with a pack of wolves in the Tundra and then eating the freshly killed meat of an animal with the pack and howling.

If he does that then I say we extend him 8 years, if he isn’t that type of man then trade him to Seattle where he can get flat whites and wear wool hats all year

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

It's not logical to think he'll get more in the summer than at the deadline, even if it was a buyer's market.

If Chychrun's value is something like a couple 2nds this summer, a playoff team should have been willing to pay at least that, since they could deal him in the summer for that to recoup the assets if they didn't want to extend him + something extra, as there would have been value renting him for a playoff run.

We lost the rental value by holding onto him at the deadline. No reason to think he'll get more in the summer.

Of course we should have also bit the bullet and retained 50% of his contract to maximize his value and widen his trade market, but that's a whole different conversation.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
What kind of trade could we do for Chabot?

Retention for 4 more years would be a bit rough.

I don't see many trade options where it's a swap of bad contracts. Most players with similar contracts have full NTCs. Karlsson is the one always mentioned. Maybe Grubauer if Seattle wants to move on.

They could look at it as a complete sunk cost and retain for the best possible return, purely to change the culture. But again, that's a tough pill when he has so much term remaining.
I think this is the root they gotta take , honestly, they gotta show Brady and Co that the results they're putting up isn't good enough

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It's not logical to think he'll get more in the summer than at the deadline, even if it was a buyer's market.

If Chychrun's value is something like a couple 2nds this summer, a playoff team should have been willing to pay at least that, since they could deal him in the summer for that to recoup the assets if they didn't want to extend him + something extra, as there would have been value renting him for a playoff run.

We lost the rental value by holding onto him at the deadline. No reason to think he'll get more in the summer.

Of course we should have also bit the bullet and retained 50% of his contract to maximize his value and widen his trade market, but that's a whole different conversation.
Why on earth would you want handicap the team with 2.3M retention when we need to acquire players this summer.

Reactions: armani

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Chychrun appears to be a low character guy. He tanked his own season the moment DJ was fired. He bailed and I think that the guys in the room don't want him around.

I'm good moving Chabot and Chycrun and run Sanderson, Brannstrom and Kleven if need be prior to whatever they add

Reactions: Alex1234

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I wrote this in the game thread yesterday, but when Chychrin scored against Bonsto, look at the secondary passer who assisted, Tkachuk, holy smokes, no arms in the air that they just scored, no excitement and barely a recognition of the goal scorer. There is some serious bad blood. Chychrun disrupted something, big time, in that locker room.

Brady barely gave a shit when actually scored, same with Giroux, and even Timmy before he was hurt.
They all recognize that the goals don’t mean shit at this point and are too embarrassed to make too much of the goals unless it’s a particularly big one in a game etc.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Why on earth would you want handicap the team with 2.3M retention when we need to acquire players this summer.

To maximize our return, like I said in the post.

We've done nothing but throw assets away over the past several years. Prospect pool is barren and our depth is already being tested.

Don't have the luxury of leaving assets on the table at this point thanks to Dorion's mismanagement. If that means 2.3M less in spending room this off-season, so be it.

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
You know the dirt bag will do this. He has a nice history of this gun to the head stuff.

So that’s 100% horseshit.
If nothing else he’s absolutely not a dirt bag, I know a variety of people who have know him a longtime.
Universally he’s considered a really good guy.
They do also say he’s always been soft, despite the physique - it’s just not in his game.
but you’re 100% wrong about the type of person he is.

Reactions: JackieDaytona

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
who can blame him though?

there is a clique in the dressing room, they don't handle criticism well, and the team loses a lot, he has to play second fiddle to Chabot when he is likely better than him offensively.

lol, you don’t know shit about any “clique” in the room, nor how they handle criticism.
f*** off with that bullshit.

It’s also extremely debatable if he’s better than Chabot offensively.

Reactions: Relapsing

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
lol, you don’t know shit about any “clique” in the room, nor how they handle criticism.
f*** off with that bullshit.

It’s also extremely debatable if he’s better than Chabot offensively.

bunch of young, immature, highly paid players with long term contracts who don't know how to win, but the best we can say about them is that they have good "vibes" and are bffs. cmon anyone can tell what the clique is, and guys like Giroux, Chychrun, Zub, DBC aren't part of it.

and we know how they handle criticism they have a huge problem with listening to it.

Reactions: redbrick98

Wondercarrot

Jul 2, 2002
bunch of young, immature, highly paid players with long term contracts who don't know how to win, but the best we can say about them is that they have good "vibes" and are bffs. cmon anyone can tell what the clique is, and guys like Giroux, Chychrun, Zub, DBC aren't part of it.

and we know how they handle criticism they have a huge problem with listening to it.

Everything you just wrote is 100% pure speculation from your fantasyland brain, and complete nonsense.

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion, I just think it’s a shitty wrong opinion - but stop pretending you’re dealing in anything factual.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013

Zub and Giroux are respected members of the team.

DBC never wanted to be in Ottawa in the first place, that's on Dorion for trading him.

As for Chychrun, he likely wants to join a currently winning team.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad