Player Discussion Jake Virtanen (MOD WARNING POST 755)

Status
Not open for further replies.

12u55

Oct 12, 2007
vancouver
I could never recall a player that's 6'1 220 lbs that was ever a power forward. I bet if you put him side by side with Crosby (5'11 200lbs) the difference in size would be negligible minus Jake's gut. The guy has always looked small on the ice, has a short reach, and has too many distractions in the city being a hometown boy. The dude needs a change of scenery. I really do hope he succeeds elsewhere but it ain't happening here.

To prove my point, does his highlight video scream power forward when looking at other players around him?

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I could never recall a player that's 6'1 220 lbs that was ever a power forward. I bet if you put him side by side with Crosby (5'11 200lbs) the difference in size would be negligible minus Jake's gut. The guy has always looked small on the ice, has a short reach, and has too many distractions in the city being a hometown boy. The dude needs a change of scenery.

Ever heard of Jerome Iginla? He played at basically Jake’s height and weight in his prime and was considered a prototypical powerforward.

There is a general misconception over the term powerforward as there is an inconsistent application of the term. It is more of a style of play. Jake has the size and power to play that game but he doesn’t. Traditionally you also need to be good to be labeled a power forward otherwise you’re just a grinder, mucker, or enforcer.

12u55

Oct 12, 2007
vancouver
Ever heard of Jerome Iginla? He played at basically Jake’s height and weight in his prime and was considered a prototypical powerforward.

There is a general misconception over the term powerforward as there is an inconsistent application of the term. It is more of a style of play. Jake has the size and power to play that game but he doesn’t. Traditionally you also need to be good to be labeled a power forward otherwise you’re just a grinder, mucker, or enforcer.

Ok, you got me with Iggy. I definitely fell under the misconception category. When I was thinking powerforward I was thinking of Bertuzzi, Wilson, Ovechkin, Perry, Benn, E. Kane, etc.. Guys with weight or true physical size. I really don't think Jake is a legit 6'1 or how he was labeled a powerforward to begin with. Wasn't the guy playing second or third line in juniors and second unit PP? The only time I thought he had a chance to be a pf is when he hit Mcdavid in his rookie preseason game. I also thought he would grow more being an 18 yo. Either didn't really happened going forward. Dude is like Disney on Ice this year.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Some fans did take 7 years to learn that Virtanen is not that good

I don't hear people say these lines anymore

Next Bertuzzi
Next Neely
PF take longer to develop
Look at Bertuzzi Naslund Sedins and Kesler on how they struggle early in their career.
Built for the playoffs
Better than Nylander and Ehlers

I think there was a few "can't wait to see what he does in the playoffs", and a few joking "better than Ehlers/Nylander" last year when Virtanen was hot and those players were struggling, but last 3 years the optimism has beeen about him potentially being a big bodied 20/20 player (which is a valuable commodity).

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Ok, you got me with Iggy. I definitely fell under the misconception category. When I was thinking powerforward I was thinking of Bertuzzi, Wilson, Ovechkin, Perry, Benn, E. Kane, etc.. Guys with weight or true physical size. I really don't think Jake is a legit 6'1 or how he was labeled a powerforward to begin with. Wasn't the guy playing second or third line in juniors and second unit PP? The only time I thought he had a chance to be a pf is when he hit Mcdavid in his rookie preseason game. I also thought he would grow more being an 18 yo. Either didn't really happened going forward. Dude is like Disney on Ice this year.

I'm not sure if Virtanen is a legit 6'1" but he measured 6’0.75″ 208 lbs at the draft combine so we're probably splitting hairs here. Raffi Torres and Ferland at their prime healthy best would be considered powerforwards and in Torres' case he's considered more of a pitbull because he's shorter.

He was a 6th overall pick who scored 45 goals in his draft eligible year (6th best in the WHL). He wasn't a 2nd or 3rd line guy playing 2nd unit PP. He was considered a powerforward due to his speed, power, and size (weight) combination. We did see him throw some big hits as a rookie during the preseason but he got injured and I don't think his power game was the same after that. It's possible that his shoulder couldn't handle that kind of physical play. But it's also possible that that doesn't come naturally to him.

None of that matters of course. Virtanen isn't much of anything right now.

Reactions: 12u55

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
When JV was at his best he carried the puck, now he dumps it in and heads to the bench. He currently has no confidence as a result of being benched so often and it shows.

Playing consistently with Horvat may turn his season around but Horvat and Pearson are have their own problems at the moment.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
This is a mistake.

You don't trade players at the btm of their market value?

Good enough to get 2.5 million then 4 months later your trading him as a throw away....FFS

6 years of doing nothing, you want another 6 before you get rid of him?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
6 years of doing nothing, you want another 6 before you get rid of him?
nope just wouldn't move him without a good run in the top3 lines. He was a decent player for us last year He's been struggling with the Covid play and being mentally and physically tuned in. I believe he is a player that needs extra attention from the coaches and practises that he's been lacking. Dumping for negative value would be a bad move.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
nope just wouldn't move him without a good run in the top3 lines. He was a decent player for us last year He's been struggling with the Covid play and being mentally and physically tuned in. I believe he is a player that needs extra attention from the coaches and practises that he's been lacking. Dumping for negative value would be a bad move.
Dumping for an expiring contract would be a brilliant move. You could sign 2-3 better players with that $2.55m in the covid era.

It’s not a secret he’s a pretty dumb player. A 6 goals in 10 games stretch won’t all of a sudden make him valuable.

Dealing him for no further commitments past this season benefits the team more than expecting different results from this player who’s play style hasn’t changed on 7 years.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Dumping for an expiring contract would be a brilliant move. You could sign 2-3 better players with that $2.55m in the covid era.

It’s not a secret he’s a pretty dumb player. A 6 goals in 10 games stretch won’t all of a sudden make him valuable.

Dealing him for no further commitments past this season benefits the team more than expecting different results from this player who’s play style hasn’t changed on 7 years.
Jake isn’t a smart guy; that’s obvious. It was a mistake to draft him. It was a mistake to not trade him years ago. It was a mistake to give him a two year contract. It’s been mistake on mistake with this player. If we can end the mistakes, without extending them into next season, then that for sure should be done.

Reactions: geebaan and MarkMM

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

Yes, this is how I see it as well. Sure, the Canucks management absolutely botched this by not dealing him in the off season and then subsequently cratering his value, but at this time, it still makes sense to get rid of him given the opportunity cost of keeping him and his very inflated salary. And let’s face it, while he may improve in the next few seasons from now (and I think that’s pretty likely), this player is a pretty marginal player with pretty limited upside in my opinion. In any event, as you noted, we could very likely sign a player this off season that is as good as Virtanen’s likely ceiling for around the amount he will make next year.

Reactions: 420Canuck

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver

This article is full of wiffle-wafflely nonsense. Frankly, it comes across as somewhat deceptive. I mean, it describes DeBrusk's "statistically worst" season as one that is only a few points less than Virtanen's statistically best season. WTF?

Debrusk once scored 27 goals in 68 games. That's 150% of Virtanen's best goal scoring season. And Debrusk is a year younger than Virtanen. The only reason not to trade Virtanen for DeBrusk straight up is that the Canucks can't afford the upgrade because of Benning's brutal mismanagement of the cap. And I'm not even a fan of DeBrusk.

I don't think thehockeywriters.com is a site anyone should take seriously. This isn't the first article I've read that leads me to this conclusion.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Until the owner sucks it up and takes a broad axe to the hockey ops department, they shouldn't be trading anybody, even Virtanen.

Frankly, the fan-base has simply lost faith in Benning's ability to make a trade that makes and sense and actually helps the hockey club. Let the new guy in the executive booth decide what to do with Virtanen.

Reactions: geebaan

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Obviously, "Blah Save Dave" was the story for the Leafs last night but I think a key point in the game was a shift by Virtanen when he hit Nylander and levelled another Leaf later in the shift. The shift started by Virtanen, unassisted fall along the Boards so he was probably angry but after that shift the game shifted in the Nucks favour. He had 4 hits on the night, the most of any Nuck player.

If he was to concentrate on that part of the game, he would be an effective player even without scoring like Cal Clutterbuck.

Reactions: Regress2TheMeme

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
This article is full of wiffle-wafflely nonsense. Frankly, it comes across as somewhat deceptive. I mean, it describes DeBrusk's "statistically worst" season as one that is only a few points less than Virtanen's statistically best season. WTF?

Debrusk once scored 27 goals in 68 games. That's 150% of Virtanen's best goal scoring season. And Debrusk is a year younger than Virtanen. The only reason not to trade Virtanen for DeBrusk straight up is that the Canucks can't afford the upgrade because of Benning's brutal mismanagement of the cap. And I'm not even a fan of DeBrusk.

I don't think thehockeywriters.com is a site anyone should take seriously. This isn't the first article I've read that leads me to this conclusion.
Virtanen isn't even the best 1st round pick the Canucks made that year.:naughty:

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Obviously, "Blah Save Dave" was the story for the Leafs last night but I think a key point in the game was a shift by Virtanen when he hit Nylander and levelled another Leaf later in the shift. The shift started by Virtanen, unassisted fall along the Boards so he was probably angry but after that shift the game shifted in the Nucks favour. He had 4 hits on the night, the most of any Nuck player.

If he was to concentrate on that part of the game, he would be an effective player even without scoring like Cal Clutterbuck.

I yelled "atta boy!" at the TV when he hit Nylander. Virtanen throws punishing hits without even looking like he's trying to do it. If he made a point to chase down defenders and get licks on them he'd have an impact every night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad