Player Discussion Jake Virtanen (MOD WARNING POST 755)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
He really seemed to turn a corner last year and had a great stretch of play in the middle of the season (was point-per-game for 25-30 games) next to Horvat ... and everything has just gone pear-shaped since. Part of the responsibility lies with the player but at the same time if management/coaches were actively trying to destroy a player's confidence in the last year you could hardly have done worse.

They certainly know how to kill the value of an asset.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
He really seemed to turn a corner last year and had a great stretch of play in the middle of the season (was point-per-game for 25-30 games) next to Horvat ... and everything has just gone pear-shaped since. Part of the responsibility lies with the player but at the same time if management/coaches were actively trying to destroy a player's confidence in the last year you could hardly have done worse.
Guy was 20/20 last year (pace) and they healthy scratched him for their first playoff game in favour of a guy with 3 goals in his last 50 NHL games that was one hit away from his career being over.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Guy was 20/20 last year (pace) and they healthy scratched him for their first playoff game in favour of a guy with 3 goals in his last 50 NHL games that was one hit away from his career being over.

Also had a game in Montreal this year where he hit everything that moved and was one of our best players ... and then was immediately scratched again the next game.

Some players react well to the stick and some to the carrot. Virtanen seems like a guy lacking confidence who needs to be built up and made to feel good about himself ... but they keep hitting him with the stick over and over again.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Virtanen is EXTREMELY cocky and full of himself. He also has a history of not responding well to be told what to do. I can see the organization trying to combat that by constantly trying to put him in his place in an effort to make him more mature. I can also see no cohesive plan and very little communication with him being a thing.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Maybe you're missing a lot because you're listening to the radio broadcast instead of watching him play? You make it sound like the goals Virtanen scored back in his draft-eligible year came off of aimless muffin shots he floated on net.

Jake's combination of speed, size/power, and shot were considered elite among players of his draft class. That doesn't mean he's a good NHL player today. But we've seen him flash his speed and seemingly get a breakaway a game. He lacks finish but we've seen him pick corners with his shot. You can dislike and bash a player while still acknowledging that he has some major league tools.

In my post I state that I watched him plenty during his draft +1. through both WJHC's and I think I've missed 2 or 3 total Canucks games combined in the last 7 years or so. I've watched him plenty

I also state in my post that he has elite skating and an elite shot.

So. Yeah. Good talk?

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Virtanen is EXTREMELY cocky and full of himself. He also has a history of not responding well to be told what to do. I can see the organization trying to combat that by constantly trying to put him in his place in an effort to make him more mature. I can also see no cohesive plan and very little communication with him being a thing.

There's a difference in being cocky hitting on a girl at a party and being cocky and confident and having self-belief in your abilities on a hockey rink. His body language is not that of a confident player and he looks completely different from last year.

I can't remember scratching him ever having much of a positive impact on his play. Whenever they crack down on him, he spends ages looking like a confused puppy.

I agree that there's no plan.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
In my post I clearly state that I watched him plenty during his draft +1. through both WJHC's and I think I've missed 2 or 3 total Canucks games combined in the last 7 years or so. So yes I've watched him plenty

I also state in my post that he has elite skating and an elite shot.

So. Yeah. Good talk?
Jake skates fast in a straight line. He has a hard shot. He’s big. Lots missing in his game though. COmpete seems lacking to me me

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
There's a difference in being cocky hitting on a girl at a party and being cocky and confident and having self-belief in your abilities on a hockey rink. His body language is not that of a confident player and he looks completely different from last year.

I can't remember scratching him ever having much of a positive impact on his play. Whenever they crack down on him, he spends ages looking like a confused puppy.

I agree that there's no plan.

I'm talking about how everyone on his various teams and who work out with him hate his guts due to his attitude once he has any amount of success. This is what I've been told.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020

Yup Greener has destroyed his confidence this year, taking him off the second power play and benching him or leaving him out of the lineup.

The guy seems crushed.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I remember having a discussion with Craig Button on twitter about JV prior to the draft, he said that he didn't have a good head for the game...he likened him to a Raffi Torres type player (not a very apt comparison in hindsight, as I'd much rather have a Raffi Torres type player at this point), but said he wouldn't even pick him in the 1st round.

That's the thing with Craig Button though. I like him and I think he is capable of identifying talent, he's just not that great compiling rankings. Every year there's at least one head scratcher on his list. In 2013 he had Fucale as a top 10 pick (granted he wasn't the only one who ranked him high). He also had Shinkaruk and Klimchuk ahead of Horvat.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Haha You sound like my grade 9 teacher talking about me to my parents. I grew out of it, for the most part.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
If Jake did nothing except use his prodigious speed to hound the puck, win possession and work the cycle, he'd be worth his salary as a high end bottom six energy player.

A lot of his issues have to do with attitude. He still buys his press releases from his draft year and still thinks he's a play-driving offensive dynamo who just needs to unlock his vaunted instincts if only Greener would give him the license to do so.

Contrast that with previous highly touted prospects who re-invented their game to fit the new reality in the NHL such as Manny Malhotra, Valeri Nichuskin and Scott Laughton.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
JV hasn't been great this year but if Green actually scratched some of the veterans for poor play (like Roussel who has legitimately NOT been good) and gave him the benefit of the doubt... maybe, just maybe you'd have something going.

But leave it to Green to take the low upside route as always.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I remember last year a small group of people were actually saying Jake was better than Boeser :laugh:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I remember last year a small group of people were actually saying Jake was better than Boeser :laugh:
Tho I dont rememeber that SPECICALLY Ive noticed on this forum peoples opinions can be too strong too quickly based off NOT much and then change the next day, its WILD

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
As I watch him yet again skate the puck around the opposing net, creating nothing but a turnover, I keep wondering what other teams would find appealing about his game?

I’m not trying to pile on the guy, but I don’t see anything other GM’s are going to give up much for.

Reactions: Canucker

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Last season he made better plays with the puck than in earlier years. This season, back to his previous ways. I think he has lost confidence.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020

My thoughts exactly, during the regular season he had a decent stretch of games where he was playing well and with confidence and looked like he had turned a corner.

I’m not going to throw him a pity party-but they probably could have handled it better. I suspect if the situation was handled differently, his play this year would be closer to last regular season (eg 15-20g pace on the third line with some inconsistency) rather than completely dropping off a cliff.

The whole team has had a rough start to the year with a nosedive of late including some of our best players. If we are able to put the season back on track, I would reevaluate trading Virtanen afterwards if his play doesn’t improve.

I think he can be a 20-25g guy, but on a bottom feeder team that gives him a longer leash and deal with his growing pains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad