Player Discussion Jake Virtanen (MOD WARNING POST 755)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Jake is underwhelming to put it mildly. Get over it.

I don’t think I’m the one that needs to get over it... I’m pro trading him as both sides seem to need it. But I can acknowledge that he did put up 18 goals in 69 games welling bouncing around the line up playing bottom 6 mins, that’s not too bad! Especially at his cap hit. Who will we blame next once he’s gone? It’s looking like Pettersson and/or Hughes are the next targets, give it a season or two and I’m sure you and others will also turn on Hoglander, it’s how so many operate on here.

Reactions: Indiana

ghostingtaro

Nov 2, 2013
One of the softest power forwards in the league. Maybe coaching has something to do with it. Either wat can't see Virt here long term

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Honestly, could we get a third for him right now?
I believe a 2nd rounder of out of the question.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
He's a kid that SHOWS his lack of appreciation to be playing in the NHL. He's not interested in playing in the NHL. Fact is, give him the boot for whatever you can get. Addition by subtraction.

Reactions: David71

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t think I’m the one that needs to get over it... I’m pro trading him as both sides seem to need it. But I can acknowledge that he did put up 18 goals in 69 games welling bouncing around the line up playing bottom 6 mins, that’s not too bad! Especially at his cap hit. Who will we blame next once he’s gone? It’s looking like Pettersson and/or Hughes are the next targets, give it a season or two and I’m sure you and others will also turn on Hoglander, it’s how so many operate on here.
I don't know what the value of Jake is.
If the Canucks move him and he quickly turns it around like Rosolvic has for CBS, that's something the fans would have to accept. I mean, Montreal tried everything with John Leclair back in the day and it didn't work. If the same were to happen with Jake, so be it.

Question is the value that you can extract for him.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Was it Jakes first year he destroyed a Leaf player, but got a penalty, and Willie D chastised him publicly? Jake was physical when he was first in the bigs, but it’s like that part of his game was coached out of him.

So it's all Willie D.'s fault...

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I would think they would have to find an equally underperforming player in a similar age range. In the Northern division a player that fits this description is
Logan Brown: Logan Brown - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Some on the Ottawa boards are saying he is a bust so he would be a candidate.

I think Virtanen will do much better once he sheds Greener, though the grass always looks Greener...

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
So can we please toss the power forward moniker from the vernacular of describing this player.

That scrum where Tkachuk tossed him on the ice, proceeded to glove punch all his teammates and then doing the exact same thing to Jake while Jake just held on for dear life is the most cowardly un-power forward play in the history of the tag.

He could’ve won so many points with fans, teammates, coaches, opposing front offices if he had any grit in his being. But nope. Hang on like a wuss while getting matching minors whiles Tkachuk punches everyone in the face.

No emotion. No thinking. No energy. No grit. No determination.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
jake for ondrej kase?

I suggested this in the fantasy GM thread (I believe) and I think it would be a possibility. Boston has had interest in Jake in the past, and Kase (through injuries and back luck) hasn't really worked in Boston. The money is the same, so no real cap implications.

I like Kase a great deal too.

Reactions: David71

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I think Virtanen can still turn his game around and become a more consistent physical force on the ice but I don't think it will ever happen in Vancouver. Time to ship him off while his point totals from last year are still relevant enough to get some GM to overpay.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I suggested this in the fantasy GM thread (I believe) and I think it would be a possibility. Boston has had interest in Jake in the past, and Kase (through injuries and back luck) hasn't really worked in Boston. The money is the same, so no real cap implications.

I like Kase a great deal too.

Before Boston I would of taken Kase without thinking twice, but now Kase is one concussion away from retirement. I think now I'd rather have a draft pick in return for the useless Virtanen.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Just a horrible player from day 1. Drafted 2014, the hitmen would broadcast home games on a standard definition channel, channel 10 or 12 on shaw I think it was at the time so I was able to catch many games. I remember waiting and waiting to see what kind of player we had just used a 6th overall pick on and it never came. Just a completely senseless player with no anticipation or quickness, just brain dead floating in the high slot during powerplays never getting a touch, benched constantly for bad penalties, just never "in" the play, never moving his feet, always looking like a deer in the headlights. He never showed anything elite other than his skating and his aimless shot. He managed PPG pace based on his overwhelming power and benefit of playing on a pretty solid Hitmen team for two years. Not an elite Junior team but very solid

His first WJHC they tried putting him with McDavid and it failed. NOW if you cannot make it on a line with McDavid, against other 16/17/18 year olds then what does that say about you? The experiment lasted one and a half games I believe, no production, no nothing. Red flag?

Fast forward to next years WJHC and the infamous Finland game...two boneead penalties on the same play ultimately losing the game for the team. Another underwhelming WJHC overall as an overager not to mention was not given an "A" for his jersey despite being a returnee and one of the older players...Red flag?

His AHL totals...Abysmal.. 9 goals in 65 games regular season games. 0 goals in 10 playoff games. Another huge red flag but hey whatever, right?

Like, you'd think watching him LITERALLY just not move his feet for 5 straight years would be another huge red flag? I guess not.

Any scout who had this guy ranked anywhere near the top 10 should be fired and banned from hockey for life. Craig Button clearly has an edge when ranking a players hockey sense and the importance of it.

It was never going to work, go read The 5th Line's early comments on Virtanen. Predicted to an absolute tee.

AND YET Jake still managed to end up filthy rich with another new contract(one which is now a burden) go figure. We'll trade him and he'll flounder wherever he goes, it's not rocket science

Reactions: Grulemieux

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I think he is RH Left winger like Ovi playing on the wrong wing but that is Greener's MO.

The thing about Virtanen is that last year he was a 20ish goal scorer that may have been a maximal watermark so I can understand how this may not be repeated, what can be repeated is his absolutely thunderous body checks that he used to make on the reg.

It reminds me of Linden when he was asked why his style had changed after they made the final and he was no longer making those famous hits. His answer was simple, " It hurts playing that way."

In today's game for every thunderous hit Virtanen makes, he has to fight so there is a deterrent he has to over come.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The problems with Virtanen remains the same.

He's not good enough to play in the top six.
He's not good enough defensively to play on a defensive bottom six line.
He also isn't a great fit with a straight-line center with limited creativity.

That leaves him only one potential line - a bottom six, offensive line with a creative center. Because of that, he's not a fit with any of the Canucks current 4 centers.

If you cater a line around that premise - which is what they did at times last year with Gaudette at center - he can be an effective player. But do you want to carry a player that is so limited in terms of what he can offer?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Just a horrible player from day 1. Drafted 2014, the hitmen would broadcast home games on a standard definition channel, channel 10 or 12 on shaw I think it was at the time so I was able to catch many games. I remember waiting and waiting to see what kind of player we had just used a 6th overall pick on and it never came. Just a completely senseless player with no anticipation or quickness, just brain dead floating in the high slot during powerplays never getting a touch, benched constantly for bad penalties, just never "in" the play, never moving his feet, always looking like a deer in the headlights. He never showed anything elite other than his skating and his aimless shot. He managed PPG pace based on his overwhelming power and benefit of playing on a pretty solid Hitmen team for two years. Not an elite Junior team but very solid

His first WJHC they tried putting him with McDavid and it failed. NOW if you cannot make it on a line with McDavid, against other 16/17/18 year olds then what does that say about you? The experiment lasted one and a half games I believe, no production, no nothing. Red flag?

Fast forward to next years WJHC and the infamous Finland game...two boneead penalties on the same play ultimately losing the game for the team. Another underwhelming WJHC overall as an overager not to mention was not given an "A" for his jersey despite being a returnee and one of the older players...Red flag?

His AHL totals...Abysmal.. 9 goals in 65 games regular season games. 0 goals in 10 playoff games. Another huge red flag but hey whatever, right?

Like, you'd think watching him LITERALLY just not move his feet for 5 straight years would be another huge red flag? I guess not.

Any scout who had this guy ranked anywhere near the top 10 should be fired and banned from hockey for life. Craig Button clearly has an edge when ranking a players hockey sense and the importance of it.

It was never going to work, go read The 5th Line's early comments on Virtanen. Predicted to an absolute tee.

AND YET Jake still managed to end up filthy rich with another new contract(one which is now a burden) go figure. We'll trade him and he'll flounder wherever he goes, it's not rocket science

Maybe you're missing a lot because you're listening to the radio broadcast instead of watching him play? You make it sound like the goals Virtanen scored back in his draft-eligible year came off of aimless muffin shots he floated on net.

Jake's combination of speed, size/power, and shot were considered elite among players of his draft class. That doesn't mean he's a good NHL player today. But we've seen him flash his speed and seemingly get a breakaway a game. He lacks finish but we've seen him pick corners with his shot. You can dislike and bash a player while still acknowledging that he has some major league tools.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Maybe you're missing a lot because you're listening to the radio broadcast instead of watching him play? You make it sound like the goals Virtanen scored back in his draft-eligible year came off of aimless muffin shots he floated on net.

Jake's combination of speed, size/power, and shot were considered elite among players of his draft class. That doesn't mean he's a good NHL player today. But we've seen him flash his speed and seemingly get a breakaway a game. He lacks finish but we've seen him pick corners with his shot. You can dislike and bash a player while still acknowledging that he has some major league tools.

I remember having a discussion with Craig Button on twitter about JV prior to the draft, he said that he didn't have a good head for the game...he likened him to a Raffi Torres type player (not a very apt comparison in hindsight, as I'd much rather have a Raffi Torres type player at this point), but said he wouldn't even pick him in the 1st round.

Reactions: vanuck

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I've always been very patient with our youth but even I think I've seen enough of Virtanen. He's not a detriment necessarily. He's just meh. His spot could be taken by an impact player. Problem is we have too many negative impact players that Virtanen is still a definitely mainstay in the lineup. That's why he'll continue to have a place here.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He really seemed to turn a corner last year and had a great stretch of play in the middle of the season (was point-per-game for 25-30 games) next to Horvat ... and everything has just gone pear-shaped since. Part of the responsibility lies with the player but at the same time if management/coaches were actively trying to destroy a player's confidence in the last year you could hardly have done worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad