Value of: Jake Virtanen

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
IMO he needs a change of scenery. He just cant seem to get out of his own way playing for his hometown Vancouver. Loves to party. Getting traded to a new team might force him to mature sooner than later by just getting away from everything including people whom he surrounds himself with in the Vancouver and the lifestyle he lives.

Having said all that, he is still only 23 years old and has all the physical tools one can ask for. Fast skater, heavy right handed shot, built like an ox. Was easily on pace for his first 20G-20A season before the covid break in only his 4th full season in the NHL.

I can definitely see Vancouver moving him this off-season.

The following return would be most ideal:

1. Trade for Jake but include a bad contract, someone like Loui Erikkson who has 2 years left on his term. In this specific case, The return for Jake would be very minimal. Something like a late rnd pick.

example:

To Canucks
5th round pick

To Ottawa
Jake Virtanen
Loui Eriksson

2. A young NHL-Dman that needs a change of scenery as well or is having a having a hard time cracking the top 4. mid level Dman prospect would be accepted as well. But please keep in mind what the value is for a 23 yr old power forward who has just finished back to back 15+ goal season.

example

To Canucks
Dante Fabbro

To Nashville
Jake Virtanen

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
2. A young NHL-Dman that needs a change of scenery as well or is having a having a hard time cracking the top 4. mid level Dman prospect would be accepted as well. But please keep in mind what the value is for a 23 yr old power forward who has just finished back to back 15+ goal season.

example

To Canucks
Dante Fabbro

To Nashville
Jake Virtanen

Yeah, that'd be a hell no with a capital H. Nobody's trading someone like Fabbro for a guy like Virtanen.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Not a fan of moving him, especially since he had a good year and showed continued improvements. He’s got the grit and physical game we need, we shouldn’t be moving him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ottawa will have their pick of cap dump trades, but Eriksson and Virtanen is appealing. Correct me if I'm wrong but Eriksson is only owed $1m next year and $3m the year after if he is moved after his bonus is paid in the offseason? I'd say that's worth it to get Virtanen, who is the type of RW Ottawa is looking for. Isn't the stumbling block then Eriksson's 15 team NTC?

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Ottawa will have their pick of cap dump trades, but Eriksson and Virtanen is appealing. Correct me if I'm wrong but Eriksson is only owed $1m next year and $3m the year after if he is moved after his bonus is paid in the offseason? I'd say that's worth it to get Virtanen, who is the type of RW Ottawa is looking for. Isn't the stumbling block then Eriksson's 15 team NTC?

Yes Eriksson's contract was very frontloaded. He is owed very little actual money after his bonus this summer (might have been paid already) That's why there are lots of rumblings that Eriksson wasnt interested in finishing the last 2 years of his contract especially if the Canucks sent him down to the AHL. Starting next season i believe he is only owed like 4 million actual dollars. The problem for the Canucks is that he is a 6 mil cap hit.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Not a fan of moving him, especially since he had a good year and showed continued improvements. He’s got the grit and physical game we need, we shouldn’t be moving him.

I would move him if he can return good value.

We have guys in the lineup and in the system that can do what he is doing and even better.

Wingers like Macewan, Podkolzin.

Right now he is currently a tweener for the 3rd or 4th line.

I do admitt that if the stars align, he can be a good top 9 player for the Canucks or another team.

I just dont see it with Vancouver. Maybe he has too many distractions. He came to camp out of shape and fat this season. It just doesnt fit for him to be in Vancouver imo.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I am not a fan of moving Virtanen, he looked good this year and has finally broken out at a 20g/20a pace. It's a matter of opinion, but I still think he has another gear left once he finally begins to learn what is required to be a pro hockey player at a high level. I personally think we can get him signed for 2-3 years at a rate below 3mil per year, he can be a very good support player in our top 6 at that rate.

With that being said, I'd move him under condition. If it meant moving Eriksson and the ability to be able to retain all of Tanev, Markstrom, and Toffoli then I would do it. But, if one of those players is going to walk anyways, then I would have no interest in moving Virtanen to rid ourselves of Eriksson.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Yeah, that'd be a hell no with a capital H. Nobody's trading someone like Fabbro for a guy like Virtanen.

I'd say the difference between Fabbro and Virtanen is much much smaller than the difference between Seth Jones and Ryan Johansen. So saying" nobody's trading someone like Fabbro for a guy like Virtanen" isnt exactly accurate is it now.

Ironically,

Jake Virtanen - 69 gp, 18 goals 18 assists, 36pts
Ryan Johansen- 68 gp, 14 go, 22 assists, 36 pts

Jake has more goals than RJ over the last 2 seasons.

Weird too because RJ is from Port Moody BC, about 45min away from Abbotsford where Jake is from. Both have questionable off ice habits.

So I wouldnt exaclty be so emphatic with the "Hell no with a capital H" considering the Preds did a Seth Jones for RJ trade and considering that that GM is still the GM who pulled the trade off.

I do agree that Fabbro has more value and potential than Jake, i just would never say never

Reactions: hn777

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd say the difference between Fabbro and Virtanen is much much smaller than the difference between Seth Jones and Ryan Johansen. So saying" nobody's trading someone like Fabbro for a guy like Virtanen" isnt exactly accurate is it now.

Ironically,

Weird too because RJ is from Port Moody BC, about 45min away from Abbotsford where Jake is from. Both have questionable off ice habits.

So I wouldnt exaclty be so emphatic with the "Hell no with a capital H" considering the Preds did a Seth Jones for RJ trade and considering that that GM is still the GM who pulled the trade off.

I do agree that Fabbro has more value and potential than Jake, i just would never say never

That comparison just puts it in the category of trade ideas that are technically feasible given that GMs make mistakes. Not a ringing endorsement.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
I am not a fan of moving Virtanen, he looked good this year and has finally broken out at a 20g/20a pace. It's a matter of opinion, but I still think he has another gear left once he finally begins to learn what is required to be a pro hockey player at a high level. I personally think we can get him signed for 2-3 years at a rate below 3mil per year, he can be a very good support player in our top 6 at that rate.

With that being said, I'd move him under condition. If it meant moving Eriksson and the ability to be able to retain all of Tanev, Markstrom, and Toffoli then I would do it. But, if one of those players is going to walk anyways, then I would have no interest in moving Virtanen to rid ourselves of Eriksson.

That's the thing tho, i dont think he will ever reach his potential or fully learn to be a pro if he stays in Vancouver.
TBH if Vancouver didnt suffer from PTSD from the Cam Neely trade over 30 years ago then i think a lot of the shine on Jake would be gone long time ago.

I'd be very happy to be wrong on him and see him develop into a monster of a power forward thats a load to handle but i just dont see it happening in Vancouver or anytime in the near future.

One thing for sure, if Jake does get traded from Vancouver then there is nobody to blame but Jake himself for not taking advantage of his opportunity in his hometown. Coming into camp out shape, really?

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009

Ironically,

Johansen's totals from this season do not make that trade a comparable. Before the Jones/Johansen trade, Johansen had 26pts in 38 games after scoring 71pts the previous season. You can't compare Johansen now to Virtanen to make an evaluation on Virtanen's trade value, you have to look at it from when he was traded.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Johansen's totals from this season do not make that trade a comparable. Before the Jones/Johansen trade, Johansen had 26pts in 38 games after scoring 71pts the previous season. You can't compare Johansen now to Virtanen to make an evaluation on Virtanen's trade value, you have to look at it from when he was traded.
Yup. Virtanen is worth a second rounder. Canucks trade him to clear up cap room, because his minutes can be replaced with a league minimum salary. His value is more that way, because the saved cap room is of more importance to the Canucks, than the player he might return.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

Ironically,

No, the difference between Fabbro and Virtanen is huge. Virtanen is closer to Jarnkrok, Sissons and Watson then he is Johansen.

Virtanen has more goals than Johansen? Ok, but Johansen's a playmaker and has 100 points the last two seasons which is 40 more than Virtanen put up. Virtanen has one season of 40 points*, Johansen has had two seasons since coming here that he's had less than 60 points and he's made up for one of them by going over PPG in the playoffs Virtanen has played in zero playoff games.

But this isn't about Johansen though, Fabbro has been our best or second best prospect since we drafted him and now that he's finally made the team he is not out of place as our number 4. His value is high, he's closer to Boeser, Horvat or Petterson in value to us than he is Virtanen, Sutter or Roussel.

So it's a big no, a giant no it's 100% HELL NO! Fabbro for Virtanen is bad. Vancouver can keep Virtanen if they're so convinced he might top 40 point one day.

* = 36 in 69 this year.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Bennett to NYI
Ho-Sang to Vancouver
Virtanen to Calgary

All 3 played could use a change of scenery.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
That's the thing tho, i dont think he will ever reach his potential or fully learn to be a pro if he stays in Vancouver.
TBH if Vancouver didnt suffer from PTSD from the Cam Neely trade over 30 years ago then i think a lot of the shine on Jake would be gone long time ago.

I'd be very happy to be wrong on him and see him develop into a monster of a power forward thats a load to handle but i just dont see it happening in Vancouver or anytime in the near future.

One thing for sure, if Jake does get traded from Vancouver then there is nobody to blame but Jake himself for not taking advantage of his opportunity in his hometown. Coming into camp out shape, really?

I personally think he can reach that potential here so long as we are patient and don't drive him away. But I also understand that this is a team sport, and sometimes repercussions that must be served to maintain the organization's integrity can drive a wedge between a player and an organization. If that happens, he will have to be moved. It's hard to comment on where we are at with that from an outsider's perspective, but so far Virtanen seems to have taken all repercussions positively and has always remained a good team mate. Because of that, I hold out hope that he may be able to figure it out here rather than being shipped off.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
When Johansen was trade for Jones Jones was a young Dman who was buried behind the talented D group in NSH. I mean, he showed promise, but it's not like he had proved much of anything.

Having said that, Virtanen isn't even close to having the potential that Jones had, and is older. I don't see where he nets much, except another project. The fact that he likes to party too, possibly to the detriment of his game, won't enamour him to GM's.

Would Crouse be a fair return for him? Maybe Mittelstadt? I don't see a young top 4D going back the other way. Maybe Mete, but can MTL afford to send him away without getting a Dman back?

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Bennett to NYI
Ho-Sang to Vancouver
Virtanen to Calgary

All 3 played could use a change of scenery.

No interest in Ho Sang. We just shipped off Goldobin to Russia because he didnt understand how to play hockey without the puck or without his team having the puck. Same issues plus off ice issues with Ho-Sang is a no for me.

Bennet would be a decent return for Van if other players can get involved so that the salaries equal out and Vancouver doesnt gain salary

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
No interest in Ho Sang. We just shipped off Goldobin to Russia because he didnt understand how to play hockey without the puck or without his team having the puck. Same issues plus off ice issues with Ho-Sang is a no for me.

Bennet would be a decent return for Van if other players can get involved so that the salaries equal out and Vancouver doesnt gain salary

How much is Virtanen getting paid? Or will he be an RFA?

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I would move him if he can return good value.

We have guys in the lineup and in the system that can do what he is doing and even better.

Wingers like Macewan, Podkolzin.

Right now he is currently a tweener for the 3rd or 4th line.

I do admitt that if the stars align, he can be a good top 9 player for the Canucks or another team.

I just dont see it with Vancouver. Maybe he has too many distractions. He came to camp out of shape and fat this season. It just doesnt fit for him to be in Vancouver imo.

It would be a bad idea to move Virtanen, he just had a breakout season where most fans and coaches were impressed with his development. To move him because he had a bad training camp in the mix of a pandemic is beyond silly. Virtanen can be a very good and important piece to this team, he’s the exact pesty, gritty winger you want and it a plus that he has shown the ability to put up 20 goals. He’s got some growing up to do but he will be a key player to our success and a tough player to replace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad