Player Discussion Jake Virtanen (MOD WARNING POST 755)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
3p in 16 playoff (0.18ppg) games says otherwise.

He deserves the critcism.

His performance in the playoffs was the final nail in the coffin, was expecting increased intensity and aggression, but it was the same lacklustre casual play.

Hopefully the cap hit is around 2M or it would’ve been better to part ways and pick up a replacement in free agency.

Reactions: nergish

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I keep going back and forth on Jake. At this point I’d like to move on but think we are selling at a low point because of the issues he has. I’d keep him and see if he finally comes into camp motivated. Then either decide he fits the core or trade him for a young D when his value is higher. I don’t see his value going down much anyways at this point.

Reactions: F A N

Love

Feb 29, 2012
3p in 16 playoff (0.18ppg) games says otherwise.

He deserves the critcism.

And Tanner Pearson who scored 1 goal (an empty net goal) in his final 11 games of the playoffs gets absolutely zero criticism from anyone. Not a peep. Not a single word about his lack of production all f***ing summer.

All you hear is “Jake sucks! How has he not been traded! He’s fat!” Go look at who Jake plays with and who Pearson plays with by the way. And compare their ice time while you’re at it.

Why do so many have blinders towards Jake while everyone else gets a pass?

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Antoine Roussel: 1 goal in the final 10 games of the playoffs. Hear any criticism about him? Me neither.

What about the beloved Adam Gaudette? 10 playoff games, zero points, and zero criticism. Why criticize anyone else when you can blame Jake Virtanen for literally everything?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
His performance in the playoffs was the final nail in the coffin, was expecting increased intensity and aggression, but it was the same lacklustre casual play

I just don't get why people assumed he would turn into a completely different player come playoff time? Like, he's never been a playoff player or played with high intensity dating back to his CHL days.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I just don't get why people assumed he would turn into a completely different player come playoff time? Like, he's never been a playoff player or played with high intensity dating back to his CHL days.

Not sure about assumptions, but Jake is capable of upping his physical intensity when he puts his mind to it. He might not be willing to do it over 82 games but he should be able to do it in a playoff game or two.

Reactions: ugghhh

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If anything Jake’s playoff performance was actually a regression from his regular season play. Sure looks like he’s going to get to start next season with Petey and Miller though.

Reactions: Regress2TheMeme

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Unless the Canucks trade for another top-six forward--almost impossible given their cap crunch--then Virtanen is 'it'. He's a top six forward almost by default.

I can see Green getting heartburn already.

Reactions: wetcoast

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Antoine Roussel: 1 goal in the final 10 games of the playoffs. Hear any criticism about him? Me neither.

What about the beloved Adam Gaudette? 10 playoff games, zero points, and zero criticism. Why criticize anyone else when you can blame Jake Virtanen for literally everything?

Uh, you might have blinders on yourself if you're saying no one is criticizing Roussel. He's consistently named on the list of Benning mistakes whenever we talk about the bottom of the roster cap space junk that Benning has signed, so people here aren't any happier with Roussel as they are with Virtanen.

As for Gaudette, considering we're looking to be signing him at a little more than $1M the expectations of his production are similarly pro-rated.

If Virtanen was looking at a $1.2M salary ask and not taking us to arbitration arguing he's worth upwards of $3M, then yeah, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Reactions: Hughes Unleashed

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
And Tanner Pearson who scored 1 goal (an empty net goal) in his final 11 games of the playoffs gets absolutely zero criticism from anyone. Not a peep. Not a single word about his lack of production all f***ing summer.

All you hear is “Jake sucks! How has he not been traded! He’s fat!” Go look at who Jake plays with and who Pearson plays with by the way. And compare their ice time while you’re at it.

Why do so many have blinders towards Jake while everyone else gets a pass?

It's called Expectations. Jake was already doomed the moment he was drafted. We expected a star, but everyone thought he was going to bust. He, then follows it up with a decent season that proves he's a NHL-er but that's still not good enough.

Tanner Pearson, is who we thought he was. Rousell was coming off an injury. Gaudette didn't have enough ice time and didn't have enough experience.

Jake, on the other hand, is still given pressure because of draft position. The fact he has so much potential, and doesn't do anything with it. This guy was basically gifted a roster spot a couple years ago, and did nothing. Comes in to training camp out of shape and lazy, and decided to be more of a celebrity instead of a hockey player. Everyone looks at him, and he has all the tools but the kid is missing a head. I think that's probably why, Canuck fans don't like him.

If he was more like any of Boeser, Hughes, or Petey type attitude and put up worst stats, no one would say a thing.

Last edited:

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
A high draft position gives you plenty of opportunities and a long leash, but hangs around like an anchor around your head for the rest of your career.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Rose-glassed hope I suppose. Jake isn't anything what his most ardent supporters believe he is. He made some decent strides in his play this season but it's clear to me that once he's away from the rink too long he loses focus. If you think JV is going to turn into what you thought he was overnight, you'll be proven disappointed or delusional.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You keep crossing your fingers that with Virtanen, it's just a maturity problem. But I swear, if he signs a new contract and shows up at camp not ready the play, Green will go off like Mt. Vesuvius.

Still think Benning would be wise to troll the market for another top-six winger. But with their cap situation, easier said than done.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
New comparable: Mangiapane 2 year 2.425MM extension

Near identical stats, same birth year.
With half the career production, coming off his ELC.

Jake's agent just saw what brawn gets paid in the Josh Anderson deal. Alex Tuch got a monster deal after 37 points.

If Benning gets Virtanen under $3m, I'll tip my hat to him but I'll also question the agent. Jake might never have a stat-line like that again. His client continually gets different treatment from coach and manager, I'm not sure why he'd cave for them.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

Jake's agent just saw what brawn gets paid in the Josh Anderson deal. Alex Tuch got a monster deal after 37 points.

If Benning gets Virtanen under $3m, I'll tip my hat to him but I'll also question the agent. Jake might never have a stat-line like that again. His client continually gets different treatment from coach and manager, I'm not sure why he'd cave for them.

Nope, Mangiapane was arbitration-eligible, has four pro seasons, played on a one-year QO deal last season.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia

Alex Tuch is twice the player that Jake is, if he sniffs anywhere close to that contract I will laugh my ass off and curl up in a ball since Benning won't just walk away from it.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Alex Tuch is twice the player that Jake is, if he sniffs anywhere close to that contract I will laugh my ass off and curl up in a ball since Benning won't just walk away from it.
I don't disagree, but if you add up Tuch's regular season and playoffs this year, Jake's regular season outproduces that sum by 2 goals and 5 points.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Oh right. The rest of my post still stands.

I predict a two-year agreement with Virtanen around $2.75M. Depends to some extent on how they structure it; Mangiapane got effectively no backloading from the Flames on his deal ($2.4M, $2.45M). Virtanen having played more games two or three years ago shouldn't make a big difference; Mangiapane matched him this past season and Virtanen didn't produce at the same level in previous seasons.

Alex Tuch was only 21 and a rookie when he put up that 37-point season and then scored six goals in the subsequent playoffs. They saw him as a key piece going forward and signed him for plenty of term to get a deal on the AAV-- which was smart; he followed up with 52 points in his final ELC season and they would've paid a lot more if they'd waited that year. Tuch as a player is not a comparable for Virtanen.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I don't think Anderson is comparable. He battled some injuries last season but previously had a 27 goal 47 point season while playing a much more physical game than Virtanen. Anderson being one year from UFA is also a factor as he was basically give me a max type deal or he's going to UFA.

Tuch was coming off a 20 goal 52 point season and his deal bought 3 UFA years. Let's face it that deal isn't looking that good.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
I don't think Anderson is comparable. He battled some injuries last season but previously had a 27 goal 47 point season while playing a much more physical game than Virtanen. Anderson being one year from UFA is also a factor as he was basically give me a max type deal or he's going to UFA.

Tuch was coming off a 20 goal 52 point season and his deal bought 3 UFA years. Let's face it that deal isn't looking that good.

Anderson is also one of the best PKers in the league and JV doesn’t PK at all.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

Tuch signed his deal in the October following his 37-point rookie season. The 52-point season was the final year of his ELC but the new contract was already signed about two weeks into that season.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Big difference between size and physicality. Steve Bernier had size, Jake Virtanen has size. Tyler Motte has physicality and he's 5'10''.

Targeting size to get physicality is like targeting PIMs to get an enforcer. Or like paying an onlyfans account to get, well you get the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad