Dreger: Jake Virtanen Lots of interest

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
interest in jv = water is wet

the only thing interesting is the statement canucks would prefer to keep. might be just for appearances but i'd rather we kept him.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Of course teams would be interest in a player like Virtanen that just had a solid season, on pace for over 20 goals, big, physical, fast and still has a lot of potential. I’m so annoyed with Benning for signing vets and over the hill players to these lottery contracts that has forced us to lose a young player like Virtanen, Gaudette or possibly Demko. Reckless.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
interest in jv = water is wet

the only thing interesting is the statement canucks would prefer to keep. might be just for appearances but i'd rather we kept him.
You mean Sutter, Loui, Roussel and Beagle for do it for you?

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Why wouldn't there be a lot of interest? He's a reclamation project, he's a big body, and he plays a power forward's game. That's like a GM's wet dream.

Boy just needs to move away from his home town team. The chip will come off his shoulder and his maturity will grow. Boy’s got all the tools and won’t take much for him to put it all together given the right situation.
He’s more than just a reclamation project. He literally just needs a change of scenery and to be a nobody again. Us team in a big city would be perfect. He just can’t do it here.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
To reply to what has been asked several times, I'd want a mid first and a prospect, of we have to trade him, priority to a team that takes a 1 year cap dump to boot.

Less and we will find a way to dump other salary to keep him.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Man on man is there a misconception about Virtanen around the league. He was always billed as some great power forward but any Canuck fan will tell you he doesn’t play that style of game at all. Jake Virtanen does 2 things at a high level.
Skate well in a straight line and shoot the puck hard. That’s pretty much it.

I don’t hate the player but he is what he is, a middle 6 forward who doesn’t really use his god given tool effectively. As a Canuck fan I’d be happy with a couple of draft picks for him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think any team will like Virtanen enough to take on Eriksson's contract with him, or enough to pay a 1st and a prospect for him.

Maybe someone goes full "JR with Kapanen" for Virtanen, but I wouldn't expect that.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Jake's the only to blame for not being able to have a story book career with his hometown.

He's had and blown his opportunities now with multiple coaches.

There's really no one else to blame when you come to camp out of shape and there video of you surfacing of you clubbing during covid times. I wish it was only one time that he came to training camp put of shape but it wasnt.

It would be a very calculated gamble for someone to trade for him as i think a change of scenery will force him to mature, be on his own and away from his environment.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Man on man is there a misconception about Virtanen around the league. He was always billed as some great power forward but any Canuck fan will tell you he doesn’t play that style of game at all. Jake Virtanen does 2 things at a high level.
Skate well in a straight line and shoot the puck hard. That’s pretty much it.

I don’t hate the player but he is what he is, a middle 6 forward who doesn’t really use his god given tool effectively. As a Canuck fan I’d be happy with a couple of draft picks for him.
Sabres fan here, went to 2 Vancouver/Buffalo games here in Buffalo over the past year and a half, your description is exactly what I noticed as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad