Jake Sanderson's Calder Case

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
If Sanderson continues to improve as he gets comfortable, and gets 45-50 points, he should win the Calder.

However, because sportswriters vote rather than knowledgeable people (GMs, scouts, etc), a 60 point bad defensive Beniers would probably get more votes than a 50 point rock solid Sanderson.

I like Pinto a lot, but he won't outscore Beniers in the end as Beniers gets every #1 opportunity to score with Seattle. The Phoenix guy is a no-name, will probably drop off. Guhle is decent, but he'll probably end up with 35 points (good) and a -25 (bad).

If Logan Thompson keeps it up, he could very well win the Calder. But he will be 26 at season's end, this year's Bunting, shouldn't even qualify at that age.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If Sanderson continues to improve as he gets comfortable, and gets 45-50 points, he should win the Calder.

However, because sportswriters vote rather than knowledgeable people (GMs, scouts, etc), a 60 point bad defensive Beniers would probably get more votes than a 50 point rock solid Sanderson.

I like Pinto a lot, but he won't outscore Beniers in the end as Beniers gets every #1 opportunity to score with Seattle. The Phoenix guy is a no-name, will probably drop off. Guhle is decent, but he'll probably end up with 35 points (good) and a -25 (bad).

If Logan Thompson keeps it up, he could very well win the Calder. But he will be 26 at season's end, this year's Bunting, shouldn't even qualify at that age.
Pinto is getting pretty ample opportunity he actually has more shots than Beniers. I think they are similar level. Maccelli is pretty damn good I wouldnt write him off yet. If you want to talk about opportunity he is going to get all of it. Only Jack Quinn had a better ppg in the AHL for rookies last year, he's legit.

At the end of the day thought I think Thompson is the biggest competition for Sanderson. He is having a heck of a year and could be a vezina finalist. I think its a bit different situation than Bunting personally. Forwards develop way faster and he got to ride shot gun with Matthews and Marner. Meanwhile I think Raymond was snubbed last year. Thompsons road to the NHL is amazing he played CIS hockey first, ECHL, AHL, NHL and when you watch him he's legit.

That being said if Sanderson can play 22+ minutes a night score 50 points and be a plus player its going to be hard for him not to get it. Its a really great rookie class.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think he’s clearly the best rookie in the game. But does he have the flashy numbers to win the award?

sensens

Jun 11, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
He's already better than Chabot and anyone else in the D core. Its nuts.
It's true - I originally thought the pick was too 'safe', but the rate of improvement he's shown since the 2020 draft has been nothing short of remarkable. Then he walks into the NHL, immediately seizes a top-4 position, takes over both SH and PP responsibility, bumps Chabot from the top PP unit, leads the team in both +/- and points, and is now effectively handling 25min/GP in the absence of Chabot/Zub.

As of right now, I'd say he and Owen Power are the front-runners for the Calder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad