Jake Neighbours leads the St. Louis Blues in Goals with 27

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
OK, OK, a precisely timed thread with Buchnevich, Kyrou, and Saad all at 26 goals, but still an impressive feat nonetheless. A breakout year for this kid, at least when it comes to goal scoring. He has 27 goals and 11 assists for 38 points on the year so far. How good can he be?

Reactions: ORRFForever

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Very good season but I doubt that 19% shooting% is something that sticks

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Very good season but I doubt that 19% shooting% is something that sticks
It's high because nearly all of his goals are from less than 20 feet away and/or are rebounds. I wouldn't be surprised if he scored around the same amount or more goals next season with a lower shooting percentage.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
it's high, but pretty much all his shots are from high danger area.
Yeah his xGoals metrics are still quite good at around 22 goals. I'd expect a regression there, but could 100% be cancelled out/putweighed by better chance creation as he develops

Reactions: Blueston

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Physical, plays hard, high compete level, scores goals. Really good player. The Blues have a nice young core with several good prospects on the way. Their window opens in 2 years

Reactions: Blueston

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Shooting percentage even for greasy goals is probably a smidge high but his secondary assist ratio is super low and he averages only 1.9 shots per game getting around typical third line ice time and PP2 most of the year. He just turned 22, his ice time and shot totals will tick upwards these next few years and his low assist total appear to be a bit of an anomaly even if he will always be more of a goal getter.

Even if he tops out as a complimentary offensive player he also adds such an industrious, physically involved game that it’s hard not to want him on your side. The Blues are still retooling but he strikes me as a guy built for the playoffs.

He’s a keeper for sure.

Reactions: banks

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The bigger surprise in this thread for me isn't Neighbors, it's Saad still being right there with that group. I'd thought he'd fallen off hard since leaving Chicago or Columbus

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Maybe the Cy Young winner. 27 goals 11 assists
List of guys with over 10 goals and at least a 2:1 goal:assist ratio:

1. Hyman, 52g 21a (2.42 : 1)
2. Neighbours, 27g 11a (2.45 : 1)
3. Hoglander, 23g 11a (2.09 : 1)
4. Carcone, 21g 8a (2.625 : 1)
5. Armia, 16g 6a (2.67 : 1)
6. Toropchenko, 14g 6a (2.33 : 1)
7. Kakko, 13g 6a (2.17 : 1)
8. Trenin, 12g 4a (3 : 1)
9. Kubalik, 11g 4a (2.75 : 1)
10. Dewar, 11g 5a (2.2 : 1)

Hyman is by far the best "Cy Young winner" this year imo but if you aim for a lower assist number, I feel like Carcone gets the edge over Neighbours.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
When I watch Neighbours play, sometimes I wonder why every half-decent player can't do exactly what he does. Are they just not willing to take cross-checks around the net? If a bozo like Kapanen simply drilled people on the forecheck and went to the net, every team would be lining up to acquire him...but the reality is that it's more than just willingness. It's the entire package, especially smarts/awareness. That's going to reap rewards for Neighbours his entire career as long as he can stay healthy.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Neighbours has a preternatural understanding of how to contribute the heavy lifting to win hockey games, and he is going to be a core identity player of the St. Louis Blues for the next decade. He's going to be a greasy 20-30 goal scorer who goes to the blue paint and draws penalties without taking them, then get right back on the PP screen the goalie and help score.

He might not have a lot of assists but Blues fans have seen plenty of goals he didn't get a point on where he screened the goalie or his aggression toward the paint got the play developing. Neighbours is already a fan favorite and it will grow.

That was Jim.
I thought so, thank you. Not because I was old enough to watch the show but I used to be a trivia writer for You Don't Know Jack and we had a whole TV focus once

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad