Value of: Jake Muzzin

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Hey....he said "has to start with a 1st"....and i did!:thumbu:

Of course, but your 1st round pick will be anywhere between 28-31, so not as great of a 1st. Then you add in a 3rd line winger which LA already has too many of. Makes it a bad trade. Especially for a Top4 dman (Top2 on many teams).

The problem with a Toronto trade is that they will need to get rid of Kap space in a move for a Dman. LA doesn't have much cap space to take on and will be looking for prospects and picks. Muzzin will cost a lot in a trade. I think for Toronto a Martinez trade will be more likely deal and a better on at that. He is a LHD but plays the right side. Maybe something like...

Martinez + Lewis for 1st + Zaitsev + Johnsson + Grundstrom

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Of course, but your 1st round pick will be anywhere between 28-31, so not as great of a 1st. Then you add in a 3rd line winger which LA already has too many of. Makes it a bad trade. Especially for a Top4 dman (Top2 on many teams).

The problem with a Toronto trade is that they will need to get rid of Kap space in a move for a Dman. LA doesn't have much cap space to take on and will be looking for prospects and picks. Muzzin will cost a lot in a trade. I think for Toronto a Martinez trade will be more likely deal and a better on at that. He is a LHD but plays the right side. Maybe something like...

This is kind of interesting.....

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA

As a King fan no way I want any part of Zaitsev. He is a number 6 signed long term to far to much money

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
As a King fan no way I want any part of Zaitsev. He is a number 6 signed long term to far to much money

Yeah, his contract is a big old nope. I could see something like Muzzin + Hagelin for Liljegrin + Marleau + 1st. That would free up some cap space for the Leafs while greatly improving the defense and still be a decent haul for LA.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA

While I don't want Zaitsev; I know Toronto won't be able to make any deals without moving future cap space. They way LA is headed...They can take on a player like Zaitsev (he'll be the next Phaneuf style contract). While I'd like to have better assets attached to taking on Zaitsev (Kapanen, Liljegren); they just won't move those players for realistic value.

Edit: and by realistic value...I mean that Kapanen has greater value to Toronto as a Top9 winger than trading him away for other pieces, but he'll be a cap casualty because of the Matthews and Marner deals. And they will need Liljegren's ELC cap to offset those big deals

Last edited:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Yeah, his contract is a big old nope. I could see something like Muzzin + Hagelin for Liljegrin + Marleau + 1st. That would free up some cap space for the Leafs while greatly improving the defense and still be a decent haul for LA.
Back away from the Liljegren...:laugh:

Honestly, both Liljegren and Sandin are going to be very important to the Leafs as young ELC players going forward...

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Back away from the Liljegren...:laugh:

Honestly, both Liljegren and Sandin are going to be very important to the Leafs as young ELC players going forward...

That’s all fine and good, but your best chance to win a cup is probably now.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
That’s all fine and good, but your best chance to win a cup is probably now.
i kind of disagree, the team is being built to compete for multiple years. Muzzin would help "now", but Lil/Sandin will help for many years.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
If by many years you mean 1.5...then sure. But Muzzin needs to be re-signed after next year, and i'm pretty sure it will cost more than the rookies' ELCs.
However how long till the rookies get to muzzins level of play in pressure situations I would think it would take a couple of years Muzzin would help ease them in as there defensive partner just a thought to me I wouldn't underestimate the mentoring of a solid playoff tested vet

gambitlebo

Apr 28, 2006
Muzzin is not a top pairing defenseman unless your defense is not good. He is a pretty solid 2nd pairing guy. Playing well this year but prone to some serious gaffes on the ice.

Might want to actually watch Muzzin play. He's been the best defense man on the Kings this year. His game has always been pretty solid and he can pot a few goals. Is he a "superstar"? No but there are very few teams he wouldn't play in the top 2 for most, if not all, of the season.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Might want to actually watch Muzzin play. He's been the best defense man on the Kings this year. His game has always been pretty solid and he can pot a few goals. Is he a "superstar"? No but there are very few teams he wouldn't play in the top 2 for most, if not all, of the season.

I watch him virtually every game and I'll stand by my opinion. Calling him a 2nd pairing D is NOT a slight to him. Muzzin has played well this year although I think Martinez was their most consistent D prior to his injury.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
i kind of disagree, the team is being built to compete for multiple years. Muzzin would help "now", but Lil/Sandin will help for many years.
No such thing as a team being built to compete for a couple of years in this salary cap era!
Think of it as a 3 maybe 4 year window, where your Star and SuperStar contracts kick in and quality, depth players are sacrificed (these would be your important pieces aka Veterans not ELC) and mistakes are made by thinking kids will come in and pick up the production of said lost depth players.

Hence, your window(TML) to win a cup really is now!

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
No such thing as a team being built to compete for a couple of years in this salary cap era!
Think of it as a 3 maybe 4 year window, where your Star and SuperStar contracts kick in and quality, depth players are sacrificed (these would be your important pieces aka Veterans not ELC) and mistakes are made by thinking kids will come in and pick up the production of said lost depth players.

Hence, your window(TML) to win a cup really is now!

LOL...do you sell used cars for a living :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad