Prospect Info: Jake McCabe (2012, 44th) – '15-16: Buffalo #29 (NHL) – Oct 12: Recalled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
McCabe finished his first year of pro with 5+24 and a -3 rating in 57 AHL GP. He missed most of March with a concussion. Further, to reboot his prospect info thread, here's an excerpt from "Sabres' McCabe eager to show he belongs on Buffalo's blue line":
Jake McCabe knows that at the very least he'll compete for a roster spot in Buffalo. The best-case scenario has the 21-year-old defenseman starting on the Sabres' blue line next season.

"I can't say exactly where I'll fit in, but I'm hoping to play my best hockey I've played and show the coaching staff that I am ready to play at that next level," McCabe said in First Niagara Center. "I've obviously played a few games at that level, and I think I fit in and can play at that NHL level and play against the top players in the world. I'm hoping to prove that in camp."

The Sabres' blue line will be crowded in the fall, but there's certainly opportunity. Based on organizational standing and contract situations, the inside track belongs to Zach Bogosian, Josh Gorges, Rasmus Ristolainen, Mike Weber, Chad Ruhwedel, Mark Pysyk and Carlo Colaiacovo. Matt Donovan and McCabe will need stellar training camps to break into the top seven or force the team to carry eight.

"There's a lot of opportunity to make it to the next level for the Buffalo Sabres," McCabe said. "It's an exciting time to be in the Buffalo Sabres' organization, and I couldn't be happier with the spot I'm in."
With training camp around the corner, where do you ultimately think McCabe starts 2015-16: Rochester or Buffalo?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
With training camp around the corner, where do you ultimately think McCabe starts 2015-16: Rochester or Buffalo?

Rochester.

TM didn't try to sign UFA defensemen (Oduya, players before Oduya, and now Franson) because he wants McCabe to develop in the NHL this year. He'll add more depth somehow.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Probably Rochester.

But I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if he earned his spot during training camp.

I think Disco Dan likes him a lot.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
He was truly a man among boys in the development camp. Him and Reinhart were the best players there. I think he could use another year in the AHL, but I don't think he would struggle too much if he was brought up this season. Ultimately it depends on whether or not they can add another top 6 guy before the season starts.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Rochester. Murray has signed a couple of D-men already and is still looking for one more. I doubt he wants to expose a new-signed player to waivers right away. Unless McCabe really forces his hand. My guess would be McCabe starts in Rochester and gets his shot when injuries and/or poor play opens a spot for him.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Probably Rochester.

But I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if he earned his spot during training camp.

I think Disco Dan likes him a lot.

Agreed here. I think he's a lock for a top-four spot by this time next year.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I think he wins a spot during camp and starts the year with Buffalo.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
I think he wins a spot during camp and starts the year with Buffalo.

With the lack of depth on his side, it's entirely possible. How much more seasoning does he really need in Rochester anyways? I'd rather have him in the lineup than Franson anyways.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
Reassigned to Rochester per Bylsma's pre-game presser today

I guess that makes sense, at least this gets his legs moving as he'll be seeing a ton of ice time with the Amerks. But for the record, he makes the Sabres a better team when he's in the lineup than Fanson does.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I guess that makes sense, at least this gets his legs moving as he'll be seeing a ton of ice time with the Amerks. But for the record, he makes the Sabres a better team when he's in the lineup than Fanson does.

Duly noted in the record.

Whats best for McCabe's development should be the main driver of where he is assigned. Not whether he is better than Franson. He will get a lot out of big minutes in Rochester.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Sunrise, FL (WGR 550) -- Many felt Jake McCabe still needed some seasoning and would wind up in Rochester. After a really good training camp, the young defenseman sat out the first game, played one in Rochester and then came back and played against Columbus.

In that game he was paired with Mark Pysyk, but only played 12:27. McCabe enjoys being paired with Pysyk, “He is such a calm defenseman, it’s his demeanor out there, he’s super steady and will make the right play and you know he’ll be in the right spot when you need him, so it’s a lot of communication and it’s definitely a lot easier when you know someone.†McCabe and Pysyk played together last year in Rochester.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
McCabe had a pretty bad camp from what I heard, yet he's looking pretty good now. If I'm not mistaken it was kind of the same last year with a bit of a disappointing camp followed by a pretty bad start in Rochester, but he was good when called up. Why is this? Is it a matter of rising to the occasion when called up or lack of work ethic when not? Or just coincidence?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Sunrise, FL (WGR 550) -- Many felt Jake McCabe still needed some seasoning and would wind up in byRochester. After a really good training camp, the young defenseman sat out the first game, played one in Rochester and then came back and played against Columbus.

In that game he was paired with Mark Pysyk, but only played 12:27. McCabe enjoys being paired with Pysyk, “He is such a calm defenseman, it’s his demeanor out there, he’s super steady and will make the right play and you know he’ll be in the right spot when you need him, so it’s a lot of communication and it’s definitely a lot easier when you know someone.†McCabe and Pysyk played together last year in Rochester.

Great camp,,,, oh paul.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
He's way ahead of schedule. Excellent first season and at a young age. He's gone through the trial by fire 1st season, had a few hiccups, but overall very few. Next season we can expect him to further develop, mainly with maturing within the NHL game. He's no doubt our 2nd pairing LD.

Murray sees it as well as Bylsma. This is very good for the future of the club.

internet toughguy

Dec 16, 2009
Richmond, VA
He's way ahead of schedule. Excellent first season and at a young age. He's gone through the trial by fire 1st season, had a few hiccups, but overall very few. Next season we can expect him to further develop, mainly with maturing within the NHL game. He's no doubt our 2nd pairing LD.

Murray sees it as well as Bylsma. This is very good for the future of the club.

For some reason it's hard for me to believe he's still only a rookie. Wasn't it he who smoked Paille/someone from the B's last year? That play seems like forever ago. Now that I think about it it may have been one of his first games.

Edit: I didn't realize he was stashed away in ROC last year and the B's hit was from 13-14! What a lost weekend last year was.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I don't even think of McCabe as a rookie. It seems like he's been around a couple years. He's had a few bumps here and there, but he's going to be a very capable two-way, top-four guy for a number of years.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I don't even think of McCabe as a rookie. It seems like he's been around a couple years. He's had a few bumps here and there, but he's going to be a very capable two-way, top-four guy for a number of years.

I see him as a bottom 4 defenseman because I think the chances of him moving between 2nd pairing and 3rd pairing d-man is greater than him being able to play the minutes/role of a 1st pairing guy.

I like the guy and like the game he plays but his limits physically hamper him to reach that next level. He's a type of player that you want in your bottom pairing on a Stanley Cup contender but I won't lose sleep if he's on a 2nd pairing as long as his partner has the mobility, and outlet passing ability to help cover up some of Mccabe's holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca