Value of: Jake Gardiner

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
What has changed so that a team that presumably did not want to match Carolina's offer would not only want to do so now, but would give up assets for it? And if no one is going to offer anything of value, or, heaven forbid, demand assets from Carolina, then why would Carolina move him?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Interesting RW article today on Jake's struggles so far this season:

Hockey Analytics: Jake Gardiner: Tempest Within the Hurricanes - Fantasy Columns

Time for another change of scenery if someone else is willing to take a chance on him, or do the Canes stay the course?

Considering Jake’s on a decent contract I could see another team trading fir him. I just don’t think he’s worth much right now.
It would have to be one of those sideways trades where the Canes trade Gardiner and get back another team’s similar level player with similar contract.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Gardiner's been better recently, but if there's a deal to be made for another change of scenery target that either lowers the cap and/or term commitment, I think they have to strongly consider it. He's just not skating at the level they need for that role in the lineup in that system. It appears that the back injury did damage; he's visibly struggling pivoting and then accelerating. The pro scouts that forced him into what was considered a value contract coming into the season did their homework.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
With Hamilton out, Carolina’s D is all out of wack. Trading away a Defenseman without an upgrade to our backend makes no sense

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Let’s get crazy, Cody Ceci for Jake Gardiner, 1-for-1 no retention.

(This prob won’t go over well)

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Gardiner could be a valuable asset to the right team. Toronto could sure use some help back there!!

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Canes fan... I would move him for say...two 3rds or our 4th and Gards for another teams 2nd and call up Bean.

Slavin Pesce
Fleury Edmunson
Bean TVR

for the remainder of the season.

Reactions: MinJerkBen

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Russell +3rd. Same cap hit only 1 year left. Wouldn't mind a Gardiner - Benning 3rd pairing. I wouldn't want Gardiner in my top 4 but with Klefbom and Nurse of LD he'd be sheltered.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I don't know what his value is but he seems like he'd be a good fit for someone like Winnipeg to buy low on or maybe Anaheim?

His deal is a bargain if he's playing well as a second pairing guy but I guess it depends which 7 teams he doesn't want to play for.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
If his skating has been affected then he’s a useless player. He has a lot of flaws as a player but that was the one area of his game that was near elite.

That contract is looking pretty bad.

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
He is not worth that contract unless there are offsetting factors.

This was discussed in other threads.
Larger deals, including Skjei and Deangelo, which would provide instant help given Hamilton's broken leg, were scrapped in part b'c Gardiner would have to come back and Canes eat half.

It was ultimately decided small consensus, CAR keeps Gards

deal is something around
Skjei for Gauthier as core pieces

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
He hasn’t been great by any stretch but has shown improvement over the last month and yeah, if we move Gardiner out our depth on D is even worse. If Gards gets traded it will be offseason
10 points in 15 games, he’s been the best defenseman on the canes recently. 3 assists against Vegas. He has finally showed up, he is getting better.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
10 points in 15 games, he’s been the best defenseman on the canes recently. 3 assists against Vegas. He has finally showed up, he is getting better.

Yup. His skating is still laboured and that’s an issue going forward. Let’s hope he can reset and recharge in the offseason. His defensive play is what it is. He does not like contact and isn’t the highest IQ player when it comes to skating routes and positioning. He has an excellent breakout pass, great shot and offensive instincts to jump into the play in the neutral and offensive zone. He’s a guy that has to play with confidence otherwise his shortcomings will compound themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad