Injury Report: Jake Gardiner

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Posted this in the game thread but probably deserves to be here.

I get those sometimes. They can be quite painful for a couple of minutes....but knocked out of the game? Babs testing out the rest of the boys?

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Good to hear he will probably be back. We looked awful without him and Gardiner is the only LHD we have who can make Zaitsev look decent. Rielly, Hainsey and Dermott all took turns today and looked awful with him.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I believe Borgman just got injured over the weekend.

He played in the last Marlies game, he got clipped a few games beforehand but he got a clean bill of health

SprDaVE got that one i see

I'd just play Carrick and call up Valiev to sit on the bench.

But Borgman is likely to be called up.

Carrick is capable of playing 2nd pair minutes but I'm not sure he can play on his offside and only Dermott is a lefty out of those 4

Looks like this may not be an issue anyway

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
Whoever slots in with Zaitsev will suck. That guys is like.. he's just a blackhole of good play.

One simply does not look good with Zaitsev.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Whoever slots in with Zaitsev will suck. That guys is like.. he's just a blackhole of good play.

One simply does not look good with Zaitsev.
I have never seen a defenseman who is a good skater play this awful. He is not a top 4 dman. His vision and passing skills are on par with Polak as well as his icing skills.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Zaitsev taking some unnecessary hate today when people finally are realizing he isn't that good. He's still much better than Polak, but the time to trade him is now when teams still believe he's a good top-4 defenseman, and not potentially the 2nd coming of Cody Ceci.

Too bad Chayka knows his analytics, or else we could use him to trade for OEL..

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Zaitsev taking some unnecessary hate today when people finally are realizing he isn't that good. He's still much better than Polak, but the time to trade him is now when teams still believe he's a good top-4 defenseman, and not potentially the 2nd coming of Cody Ceci.

He's 26 and signed for $4.5/season. Even if you only see him as a #4, you absolutely keep him at that cap hit. He's been bad but he's coming off an injury and is still fairly new to the league. Trading him would be unwise IMO.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

So Zaitsev is having a down year but I think it's also attributed by not having any PP time, he's at 0:16 per game instead of 2:00 last year. Rielly really has taken all of it off his plate since Babcock only uses one dman per PP unit and has been having a lot of success with it. Zaitsev's transition game and outlet passes have been bad recently but I don't think they were this bad last year. Got to hope he steps back up if Gardiner misses any time cause we don't have that kind of depth to replace a top 4 d like that.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
He's 26 and signed for $4.5/season. Even if you only see him as a #4, you absolutely keep him at that cap hit. He's been bad but he's coming off an injury and is still fairly new to the league. Trading him would be unwise IMO.
People forget he's an NHL sophmore.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Friedman says he suffered an injury at some point.

If he’s out long-term, it could put pressure on the Leafs to make a defensive addition
nah just move Dermott up, and then you have Carrick, Borgman or Holl to pair up with Polak

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
The shot-tracking before and after Gardiner left at 9:20. Not saying we wouldn't have gotten slapped in shots anyways, but Gardiner would've been key in lowering those shot totals by a lot with his recent play.

Reactions: Morgs

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

His analytics don't tell the whole story for him IMO, and often for guys like Gardiner, Demers, etc as well.

His game is like a supportive, defensive d-man with Gardiner (who sometimes decides to stop skating with the puck and starts throwing telegraphed stretch passes from his own end with great frequency), when his game should be ideally more of a puck-rushing d-man.

I don't think he's bad at all. Still growing, has those Jekyll/Hyde games like Gardiner. Didn't think he was that bad tonight either. I thought Hainsey, in particular, was awful tonight.....and whoever played with Polak suffered a similar fate. People just see the game differently I guess a lot of nights.

I thought we were awful defensively, but that doesn't hang on the d-men as much as our neutral zone play tonight. Nylander floated twice on a goal- on the neutral zone and soft on the side walls, Kadri gave up a shooting lane on the Jack Johnson goal randomly.....Hyman lost about every loose puck battle in the neutral zone tonight and flubbed more clearing/breakout chances than I could count. It was a awful game defensively for a lot of players (Sidenote: I generally think Bozak can have a bad night with some odd regularity but I was surprised he, of all players tonight, got the doghouse treatment by Babcock).

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Umm are you kidding. If it were a trade you take the guy out. Why? Well while he is a gr8 D for us there are scenarios where we could use him for a top 3 center we need 1 bad. But tbh Dermotts starting to digress a bit. Fewer chances and more mistakes now. I feel we need to find the right RHD for him.

Huge issue we need to fix is...any hard checking teams we face we struggle. Tonight Freddy and timely scoring by Kadri line lifted us. Matthews line was terrible. Recall vs STB earlier in yr when we got a butt kicking...the same problem. This is why I think we need a guy like Maroon. Hed be gr8 with Matthews and Will. Drop Hyman to Kadri line drop Marleau on 4th..tbh Marleau isnt doing anything. That line is super hot and his #s show hes just meh. Im a huge fan of Patty and his leadership is priceless but we arent using him on the right line.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Firstoff I didnt hear the lower body till after my post. Nor what you stated. Many thought a trade.

And now how stupid does that sound..a leg spasm really? They hurt like a B ive had many but to miss the rest of the game? I could see a period..but oh well

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Muscle spasms shouldn't be too bad. Maybe he is dehydrated? I was worried when they said lower body that it might be something that takes forever to heal, like a pulled groin.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
All that for... Drink water, Get massage, Rest and have a blood test. Here I thought he was traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad