News: Jake Gardiner Will Not Be Bought Out

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
If you’re truly shocked that Gardiner made a career in the nhl then you’re a really poor evaluator of talent.

That’s just some crazy exaggeration on your part.
Not really, I've probably seen more games of Gardiner than you have, the dude is downright horrendous defensively. One of the worst players I've ever witnessed.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Not really, I've probably seen more games of Gardiner than you have, the dude is downright horrendous defensively. One of the worst players I've ever witnessed.
I’m sure you have seen more games of him than I have, but you’re the lone person I’ve ever seen say he shouldn’t have had an nhl career.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
First Gardiner then Pacioretty. Carolina sure likes to trade for other teams’ crippled players.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Gardiner was bad defensively but was good at not having to play defense very often, it's not that difficult to figure out. Babcock forcing him and Barrie to stretch pass 90% of the time instead of letting them use their elite skating magnified their defensive issues because they'd have to deal with counterattacks way more often than they should.

Reactions: Tryamw

zodiacbiller

Sep 7, 2021
Do they, though? Or are you just saying that to try to project a certain image of them? I know very few Leaf fans, personally, who cared for any of those 3 players.

It's weird, it's almost like different people have different levels of interest, and therefor more or less knowledge of the facts. Maybe, just maybe, 3.5m people can't be summed up with one dumb take.
I'm saying Leaf fans by and large disliked Gardiner, Holl, and Marincin, all of whom are/were good.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Well he's made $36 million in the NHL and your spouting dumb takes on the internet, so you're likely wrong.
There's a lot of shit players that have somehow made a career. A 3ish year career like most bad players is what I would've expected. I think people are thinking I meant he should have never played in the NHL period, maybe my wording was wrong. I am saying he should not have had a full NHL career like he did, because he's horrible.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The Canes had a 2nd buyout window due to arbitration. I'm pretty sure it closes today.
So if a team as a player that files for arbitration but the player gets re-signed before the actual arbitration hearing happens the team can still get the 2nd buyout option then?

I always figured that the 2nd buyout window would only apply if the player actually went through with the arbitration hearing and was awarded an amount which put their team over the cap so the 2nd buyout option would then be maybe needed for that team to be cap compliant.

Seems I was mistaken then so good to know for sure now. :thumbu:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
So if a team as a player that files for arbitration but the player gets re-signed before the actual arbitration hearing happens the team can still get the 2nd buyout option then?

I always figured that the 2nd buyout window would only apply if the player actually went through with the arbitration hearing and was awarded an amount which put their team over the cap so the 2nd buyout option would then be maybe needed for that team to be cap compliant.

Seems I was mistaken then so good to know for sure now. :thumbu:

Yeah, the window opens on the 3rd day after either the teams last arbitration award or their last settlement of an arbitration case. Cap space doesn't matter.

Reactions: Tryamw and sheed36

mapleleafslaughssame

May 20, 2022
There's a lot of shit players that have somehow made a career. A 3ish year career like most bad players is what I would've expected. I think people are thinking I meant he should have never played in the NHL period, maybe my wording was wrong. I am saying he should not have had a full NHL career like he did, because he's horrible.
Your still wrong and on a team with structure he could have been even better. Leafs were a wreck on defense back then.

If you really watched his first few years in the league and thought this guy has no potential you can’t evaluate talent at all.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
I’m sure you have seen more games of him than I have, but you’re the lone person I’ve ever seen say he shouldn’t have had an nhl career.

Nah, lots of Leaf fans thought that about Gardiner. We have an astoundingly stupid fanbase.

Your still wrong and on a team with structure he could have been even better. Leafs were a wreck on defense back then.

If you really watched his first few years in the league and thought this guy has no potential you can’t evaluate talent at all.

Bruv, don't bother. I once got into an argument on The Leafs subforum that claimed that Max Domi + David Savard + Cap savings would be superior to having Marner. It should be flat out illegal for a lot of people on HFBoards to be watching hockey much less discussing it.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I am shocked this guy made a career in the NHL, gotta thank Burke for that.
Yes Burke probably mandated his coaches he play 640 games in the NHL. And it was obviously a fluke he got almost 300 pts while doing that.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
I mean, makes sense given the injury/cap situation. Absolutely no need to force a move when you no longer need to.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad