hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
giphy.gif

No. He's not.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He's taking a big step but rielly has been better more consistently this year. Even against the nucks Reilly was our best dmen for the whole game. Gards stepped up in the last 30 mins but rielly was the best player for the leafs

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
meh, if you asked me whos worked the hardest and taken the most load its easily rielly so in a way hes our best cause of what he does and the situation hes in
but in a way gardiner has been better at certain times imo

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He's not a 1D or Elite right now. He does have special moments that are fun to watch. Then he has moments that make you palm the face.

Jake is pretty good but has these moments as well.

HitoftheMillennium*

Jan 23, 2016
Having Matt freakin' Hunwick as a defense partner while having to match up against the best offensive players of the opposing team regularly can't be under-stated.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
The only thing that matters is that they both wear the blue and white and will be on this team moving forward.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Having Matt freakin' Hunwick as a defense partner while having to match up against the best offensive players of the opposing team regularly can't be under-stated.

Of course it can't. He is developing but I don't see Doughty or Karlsson in him

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
This season he has been - I'd agree with that.

Rielly will be a step above Gardiner in a couple years though.

I hope this will in fact come true. Maybe, it'll take more than a couple of years, however. Like, 3-5 years. :dunno:

We shall see. :popcorn:

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Both guys are unlike most defensemen playing in the NHL: Rielly has missed out on a year of development while Gardiner played forward for most of his years and transitioned to defense not too long ago, relatively speaking. Wasn't it that defensemen take 300 games to show what they're capable of? I'd add a bit more games on top of the 300 for this duo.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Gardiner at his best is better than Rielly, but Rielly is more consistent than Gardiner.

Either way, they are both amazing and neither should be traded.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Both guys are unlike most defensemen playing in the NHL: Rielly has missed out on a year of development while Gardiner played forward for most of his years and transitioned to defense not too long ago, relatively speaking. Wasn't it that defensemen take 300 games to show what they're capable of? I'd add a bit more games on top of the 300 for this duo.

That was Carlyle's thought process which was why he had shackles on both Rielly & Gardiner unless they were down by 2 goals and needing a push to get back into games.

Kind of the Reason why Carlyle is gone. Taking a players strength away, limiting there usage just because they're young isn't developing. Gardiner under Wilson was all rookie team and looking like a future ALLSTAR even being called SILVER from his teammates representing that he played like a silver stick 1000 games played vet.

It doesn't take long to see what a player is capable of...Unfortunately some times it takes longer for coaches to commit to youth or in some cases like Carlyle couldn't see the wrong they're doing to them even if you beat them with a bat over the head.

So glad we have Babcock :yo:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Gardiner at his best is better than Rielly, but Rielly is more consistent than Gardiner.

Either way, they are both amazing and neither should be traded.

If we were to get a bonafide #1 centre for Gardiner, I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat. Something like Gardiner and Bozak for...??? :dunno:

I think Gardiner has already reached his development ceiling.

Not sure I would trade Rielly, just yet.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
That was Carlyle's thought process which was why he had shackles on both Rielly & Gardiner unless they were down by 2 goals and needing a push to get back into games.

Kind of the Reason why Carlyle is gone. Taking a players strength away, limiting there usage just because they're young isn't developing. Gardiner under Wilson was all rookie team and looking like a future ALLSTAR even being called SILVER from his teammates representing that he played like a silver stick 1000 games played vet.

It doesn't take long to see what a player is capable of...Unfortunately some times it takes longer for coaches to commit to youth or in some cases like Carlyle couldn't see the wrong they're doing to them even if you beat them with a bat over the head.

So glad we have Babcock :yo:

Babcock shackled Jake this year to support Dion. No mystery how Dion is gone and Jakes got the green light.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If we were to get a bonafide #1 centre for Gardiner, I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat. Something like Gardiner and Bozak for...??? :dunno:

I think Gardiner has already reached his development ceiling.

Not sure I would trade Rielly, just yet.

Jake has another gear. Don't worry about that ceiling you perceive is there, it's merely cellophane.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
How did OP draw the conclusion that Gardiner > Rielly based on the article.

All it says is that "Leaf fan's expectations of Rielly" > Rielly right now.

Which, one can only conclude, is "No. Freaking. Duh."

But the article even goes on to say they think he can improve, and may yet become the super-elite defenseman Leafs hope for.

Gardiner is good but Rielly has another couple levels to reach in his game.

And he's only 21!! Defenders take longer to develop and especially when it comes to the defensive side of the game, you can't draw conclusions this early on them.

His skating and instincts are all-world. He just isn't making the best of his defensive assignments, but that's clearly a work in progress.

#jumptoconclusions

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad