Friedman: Jake Debrusk might be staying in Boston.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
It's better to do a trade such as 1st + DeBrusk + and trade for the best player they can find. Maybe trade for Chychrun or the top player available.

Reactions: abo9

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.

He had a rough stretch & a lot of Bruins fans wanted him gone - understandably so considering his level of play & effort.

That being said, I‘m always cheering for players to come back & redeem themselves, especially likeable guys such as Jake. Great to see him regain his game.

Cannot seem to find a clip that will work here for his pre-game interview with his father when he says, “I love you Dad.” in Edmonton a while back. Only Facecrack clips which I don’t subscribe to.

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
doesn't surprise me. Bruins need a 2C and a top 4 D. If they lose him without filling one of those two spots its a downgrade, especially with him starting to perform with being put in the top 6.

Dr Amazing204

Oct 5, 2017
why not just stay in Boston until the offseason he's on a playoff team why risk getting traded to a non playoff team

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
If the Bruins have a *good* 2C in their sights (at least Copp-level)... moving DeBrusk out becomes less onerous. But there's maybe 4 or 5 2C's or better available right now and their price (looking at what Manson got and what Chiarot has been suggested at getting) isn't exactly 'great'.

They desperately need a 2C who's actually a 2C (and, while I've been pleasantly surprised Haula hasn't dragged Pastrnak and Hall down, he's not exactly buoying them to greatness). Less important is a 2/3/4 LD with two-way upside. Further down the list is a third goalie and another depth defenseman and forward... but 2C trumps all other considerations. IMO, if they don't get a possession-driving 2C, they're unlikely to make it past the second round. If moving DeBrusk gets them Giroux, or Hertl (I know, off the table), or Miller... or someone out of left field, they HAVE to do it (if reports are true that they're emphatically 'going for it')... and backfill with a depth-forward trade as a result.

I don't mind keeping JDB if there's no option to move him for an upgrade or significant picks. He's looked better at 1RW than I'd thought. But getting that 2C is so important, the B's front office had better be willing to move him for it.

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
Boston:
Tomas Hertl

San Jose:
1st 2022
Jake DeBrusk
Fabian Lysell
For a solidly-signed ($7m, 4-6y) Hertl I'd do the 1st and DeBrusk, but would have to downgrade the player to Beecher or Steen. Really don't think the B's are keen on moving Lysell unless it brought them back a guy who is a massive upgrade, signed for at least 2 more years at either LD or C.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd be super pleased with that swap. I know many people are down on OEL, but he's better than any of our current left-handers and at a half price I'm sold
I didn't mean straight across, that is a lot of retention, but more as a comparison of what could be done with Debrusks modest cap hit.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I didn't mean straight across, that is a lot of retention, but more as a comparison of what could be done with Debrusks modest cap hit.
Debrusk, Reilly, and Lysell for Boeser and OEL with some retention.
You guys get two players that can keep you in the race this year save some money, and get a top prospect. We get a top pair defenseman, and a young right winger.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Debrusk, Reilly, and Lysell for Boeser and OEL with some retention.
You guys get two players that can keep you in the race this year save some money, and get a top prospect. We get a top pair defenseman, and a young right winger.
That feels a little on the light side if OEL is being retained at, or near, the level I mentioned. Lysell and and a first would be what we'd want for Boeser alone.

Reilly doesn't really fit with what we need (we have a number of fan proposed trades for more LHD already, as well as Rathbone annihilating the AHL as an offensive LHD). I know Reilly's cap his is the reason for his inclusion here, and while that maybe the factor for why Boston would want his inclusion, the salary/cap factor isn't a deal killer here, it's more the fit as a puck moving/transition LHD.

Debrusk is Debrusk,, and while there is a deal for a slightly retained OEL for Debrusk, if it's closer to half, like I was joking around with, we'd need a better package.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
That feels a little on the light side if OEL is being retained at, or near, the level I mentioned. Lysell and and a first would be what we'd want for Boeser alone.

Reilly doesn't really fit with what we need (we have a number of fan proposed trades for more LHD already, as well as Rathbone annihilating the AHL as an offensive LHD). I know Reilly's cap his is the reason for his inclusion here, and while that maybe the factor for why Boston would want his inclusion, the salary/cap factor isn't a deal killer here, it's more the fit as a puck moving/transition LHD.

Debrusk is Debrusk,, and while there is a deal for a slightly retained OEL for Debrusk, if it's closer to half, like I was joking around with, we'd need a better package.
Fair enough. I’d bet that my fellow Bruins fans wouldn’t like it from our perspective either.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Fair enough. I’d bet that my fellow Bruins fans wouldn’t like it from our perspective either.
Top prospects seem to have that effect around here, I get it.

How far off would we be for Reilly and Debrusk for OEL though?

Reactions: SPV

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Top prospects seem to have that effect around here, I get it.

How far off would we be for Reilly and Debrusk for OEL though?
I’d probably do something like that. We’d have to have another move set up to replace Debrusk in the lineup. Although I’ve wanted them to give Steen or Senyshyn a shot there.

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I’d probably do something like that. We’d have to have another move set up to replace Debrusk in the lineup. Although I’ve wanted them to give Steen or Senyshyn a shot there.
Well if we have another trade lined up for Boeser, or if Boston finds a better fit for a forward, keep us posted if your guys are into it.

Don't get me wrong, OEL has been fine for us, even factoring his cap hit in, but we're limited for growth and who we can acquire as a main asset in trades for other parts of the team. And Hughes has absolutely taken over as our 1C. Games where Hughes has been out, OEL has looked great, but when Hughes is taking 25 minutes a night, it's a waste to have OEL playing the leftovers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad