Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk III: Signs 2 Years 3.675 AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
No doubt, which is why I laugh at people writing him off. If he goes to another team, he'll find his game and we'll hear about it for the next 5 years and it will be miserable. Get him a f***ing sports psychologist and see if you can get him straightened out. Also, and this is the key, IMO, play him with some guys that actually compliment his game and style of play. Stop forcing him to play with guys that don't.

The flip side of this is he never gets it going in Boston and continues to be the floater we've seen for the past season and a half. Then we get to hear about how crappy he is for the next five years and it will be miserable :laugh: As for the guys he plays with, maybe they aren't sylistically ideal for him, but that should not stop him from backchecking hard on most every shift, or being consistently energetic on puck pursuit/retrieveal and and going to the net, or working hard to make himself available for passes. This stuff doesn't require complementary players- it is all on JDB.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I'm hoping that this really pisses off JDB. He seemed to be angry the last time, basically saying that he took it as people writing him off and that he'd show them. Unfortunately he got protocoled nearly immediately after that and here we are.

I for one would be much happier with Jake "I've got a chip on my shoulder" DeBrusk.

That's not because I'm mad at him or don't like him or wish him poorly. It's just that he needs a massive fire lit under him. Massive. And it's going to be hard to do that without him recognizing that he is way way off. To the point that the team is better with him in the press box than on the ice. If that makes him mad? Good, it should. This isn't about people saying he's done here -- it's about him playing like he's done here.

This is kind of make or break time for DeBrusk. He has lots of talent and, again, is a nice kid but he's a total non factor the vast majority of the time. If he hadn't his history - he'd be parked in Providence a few guys down on the depth chart -- let alone the press box.

For me the problem is not effort per se, it's just that his time on the ice is just something to endure. When is this shift going to be over so someone else can have a go at doing something?

Get angry Jake. Get a sports psychiatrist Jake. Whatever you are doing now is NOT working.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Jake is going to make a great Kraken. You get to keep all your D, clear 3.75 M from the cap to use on Hall's next contract and keep Frederic, Ritchie and Smith. Wins all around.

Maybe he rebounds and becomes a player but I don't see that happening here. Bottom line is they are a better team when he is not playing and that says all that needs to be said about Jake DeBrusk.

Perhaps the way to look at it in that scenario is that they're synthetically trading Debrusk for one of Lauzon, Zboril, or Ritchie; the most likely guys to be exposed that are good pieces as I understand it.

If one of those guys were on another team, would the Bruins win the trade in giving up Debrusk?

Tough call.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The flip side of this is he never gets it going in Boston and continues to be the floater we've seen for the past season and a half. Then we get to hear about how crappy he is for the next five years and it will be miserable :laugh: As for the guys he plays with, maybe they aren't sylistically ideal for him, but that should not stop him from backchecking hard on most every shift, or being consistently energetic on puck pursuit/retrieveal and and going to the net, or working hard to make himself available for passes. This stuff doesn't require complementary players- it is all on JDB.

Well sure, effort is the one thing he actually can control and he's done a piss poor job so far. I hope it's all because of a lack of confidence/frustration and that he can figure out a way to get past that, which is why I suggested a sports psych to help him. He's a weirdly superstitious guy to start with, so I think he'd benefit from that alone.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Perhaps the way to look at it in that scenario is that they're synthetically trading Debrusk for one of Lauzon, Zboril, or Ritchie; the most likely guys to be exposed that are good pieces as I understand it.

If one of those guys were on another team, would the Bruins win the trade in giving up Debrusk?

Tough call.
I would trade Jake for Ritchie or Lauzon.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Well sure, effort is the one thing he actually can control and he's done a piss poor job so far. I hope it's all because of a lack of confidence/frustration and that he can figure out a way to get past that, which is why I suggested a sports psych to help him. He's a weirdly superstitious guy to start with, so I think he'd benefit from that alone.
agreed, problem with Jake is he simply hustles when he feels like it, and far too often, he doesn`t feel like it. He is, without a close second, the king of fly bye`s when on the forecheck, maintains zero strong angles when attacking a puck carrier.

Will there be a team out there willing to snatch him up? Likely, he`s intriguing because we have seen he can be productive, but I`m not sure what his value is these days

ylekot

Still evaluating..
Feb 2, 2010
Paxton Massachusetts
The kid has talent. He just refuses to use it whether it be a mental block or attitude. I lean towards attitude cause like Dr. Hook said effort, intensity and hustle can be achieved by just putting your ego aside and doing the necessary hard work. watching him float through his shifts is just numbing. He could be a great asset to this team and give a real boost to the bottom six. I hope whatever it is he figures out cause I really want to see him and this team succeed.

Reactions: inactive user

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
true, problem is, he`s off more than on, this team needs both him and Coyle to pull their collective heads out of their ___________
He's only been off this year though. If he was a player doing it for the last few seasons I'd be concerned. But he was doing well last year before the shutdown with 19 goals. He would of cleary gotten over 20 easily. This year has been a rough one. Which is why I am willing to give players a pass this year. I hope Jake can figure out his mental health and return to the player he was a year ago. It's in him. Just like it's in Coyle. They know they gotta play better. They just got to put it together. I have faith in them.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He's only been off this year though. If he was a player doing it for the last few seasons I'd be concerned. But he was doing well last year before the shutdown with 19 goals. He would of cleary gotten over 20 easily. This year has been a rough one. Which is why I am willing to give players a pass this year. I hope Jake can figure out his mental health and return to the player he was a year ago. It's in him. Just like it's in Coyle. They know they gotta play better. They just got to put it together. I have faith in them.
Jake has put up decent stats in his young career, this isn`t necessarily just about stats, it`s about a consistent effort and that has been a problem since he became a pro, difference was, rope was longer because he was also producing which clearly isn`t the case this year

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I still am mystified at Debrusk's sudden drop-off production wise. In his age-22 season he posted 27 goals in 68 games. In 2019-20, from Nov. 23 to Feb 8/20 he posted 28 pts in 34 games.

Then bang, his production goes in the toilet. Posted just one goal in his final 14 regular season games (and zero assists). Since Feb. 8/20 he has just 9 goals and 7 assist in 61 NHL games. That's a 20-point pace, that's 4th liner-type production.

I don't see him playing his off-wing full-time. Nor do I see Ritchie on his off-wing full-time either.

Is there room for Marchand-Hall-Debrusk-Ritchie on the LW moving forward? I'm not sure there is enough ice time or cap space there for all 4 guys.

All that being said, there is 295 days separating Debrusk and Ritchie in age. Given what we've seen between these two players, can one honestly say Debrusk should be protected over Ritchie based on their play this season? Ritchie hits more, fights more, scores more, produces more, is no more of a liability defensively. Salaries for next year after Ritchie seeks arbitration are probably a wash.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I still am mystified at Debrusk's sudden drop-off production wise. In his age-22 season he posted 27 goals in 68 games. In 2019-20, from Nov. 23 to Feb 8/20 he posted 28 pts in 34 games.

Then bang, his production goes in the toilet. Posted just one goal in his final 14 regular season games (and zero assists). Since Feb. 8/20 he has just 9 goals and 7 assist in 61 NHL games. That's a 20-point pace, that's 4th liner-type production.

I don't see him playing his off-wing full-time. Nor do I see Ritchie on his off-wing full-time either.

Is there room for Marchand-Hall-Debrusk-Ritchie on the LW moving forward? I'm not sure there is enough ice time or cap space there for all 4 guys.

All that being said, there is 295 days separating Debrusk and Ritchie in age. Given what we've seen between these two players, can one honestly say Debrusk should be protected over Ritchie based on their play this season? Ritchie hits more, fights more, scores more, produces more, is no more of a liability defensively. Salaries for next year after Ritchie seeks arbitration are probably a wash.

As things stand right now I would protect Ritchie over JDB, no question. For a long time now the Bruins have lacked the element Ritchie brings- I guess they had a little of it with pre-cliff dive Backes and Beleskey, but Ritchie fills a big need for the team and he has really soft hands too. Jake right now is going the direction of a lot of young offensive-minded players we've seen: Bjork, Heinen, Spooner, Donato et al. It is a lot easier to find a fast, skilled player that doesn't give full effort or put up a lot of points than it is to find a big Nick type.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
As things stand right now I would protect Ritchie over JDB, no question. For a long time now the Bruins have lacked the element Ritchie brings- I guess they had a little of it with pre-cliff dive Backes and Beleskey, but Ritchie fills a big need for the team and he has really soft hands too. Jake right now is going the direction of a lot of young offensive-minded players we've seen: Bjork, Heinen, Spooner, Donato et al. It is a lot easier to find a fast, skilled player that doesn't give full effort or put up a lot of points than it is to find a big Nick type.

Absolutely. Sure Ritchie is going to have games where he's not terribly noticeable, but the games where he does play well, his skillset is needed on a team that doesn't possess a lot of it.

member 96824

Given what we've seen between these two players, can one honestly say Debrusk should be protected over Ritchie based on their play this season?

I mean..no..not this season. Ritchie has outplayed DeBrusk for sure in 2020-2021.

But it would also be completely foolish to make the decision based on 34 COVID hockey games and ignore the other 200 and Ritchie's other 300. The type of foolish short term tunnel vision thinking that lead to the 2015 draft, Seguin trade, John Moore, Matt Beleskey, David Backes, Jimmy Hayes for Reilly Smith, etc. etc. etc. etc. So I don't put it past the front office to do that...and I also don't put it past a large portion of the fan base to celebrate it in the moment, because that's what we do...and we'll do it to the next young goal scoring winger that comes in and doesn't score 50 goals as well.

False Start

May 8, 2018
I mean..no..not this season. Ritchie has outplayed DeBrusk for sure in 2020-2021.

But it would also be completely foolish to make the decision based on 34 COVID hockey games and ignore the other 200 and Ritchie's other 300. The type of foolish short term tunnel vision thinking that lead to the 2015 draft, Seguin trade, John Moore, Matt Beleskey, David Backes, Jimmy Hayes for Reilly Smith, etc. etc. etc. etc. So I don't put it past the front office to do that...and I also don't put it past a large portion of the fan base to celebrate it in the moment, because that's what we do...and we'll do it to the next young goal scoring winger that comes in and doesn't score 50 goals as well.

Well said.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

If only it were just 34 covid games, then I'd be more inclined to this view. It's been much longer for that with JDB. I am not saying dump him for sure, and in a non expansion year he would be absolutely worth giving him his contract life to see how it goes. But expansion means someone has to be left available andat this point I would prefer to keep Ritchie.

Reactions: sarge88

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
If only it were just 34 covid games, then I'd be more inclined to this view. It's been much longer for that with JDB. I am not saying dump him for sure, and in a non expansion year he would be absolutely worth giving him his contract life to see how it goes. But expansion means someone has to be left available andat this point I would prefer to keep Ritchie.
Let me ask you this, if your Ron Francis and the Kracken who do you take ?

Lets say his first choice comes from the Bruins. Who do you take Jake or Ritchie if they are both there ?

For me its Jake without question.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Let me ask you this, if your Ron Francis and the Kracken who do you take ?

Lets say his first choice comes from the Bruins. Who do you take Jake or Ritchie if they are both there ?

For me its Jake without question.

I would say Jake in a vaccum, but so much depends on how they are building the team, what other players are available from other teams, what kind of deals get struck ahead of the draft. It seems a little pointless to me to try to predict who Seattle will or won't take based on the sheer number of variables. Not to mention what can happen over the last 10 games or the playoffs. If I am Bruins GM and I have to choose right now between protecting JDB or Ritchie I protect Ritchie.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I would say Jake in a vaccum, but so much depends on how they are building the team, what other players are available from other teams, what kind of deals get struck ahead of the draft. It seems a little pointless to me to try to predict who Seattle will or won't take based on the sheer number of variables. Not to mention what can happen over the last 10 games or the playoffs. If I am Bruins GM and I have to choose right now between protecting JDB or Ritchie I protect Ritchie.

Well for me its a no-brainer and its Jake and if the two were exposed I'd be willing to bet the Kracken scoop up Debrusk way before even giving Ritchie a thought.

Ritchie doesn't move the needle at all for me as far as potential or his value around the league compared to Debrusk.. Sure he brings an element this current Bruin team needs, but only when he wants to bring that.

Jake still has the potential to be a 30 goal scorer and his market value is worth more than a Ritchie imo, so if I had to choose on protecting one or the other its Jake.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

If Seattle's deciding between DeBrusk and Ritchie, they will take DeBrusk with little to no thought. And if it's between Ritchie and Lauzon, they take Lauzon.

Ritchie does fill an element, and right now, DeBrusk doesn't and they both occupy the same spot on the roster: third line complimentary left wing. But you protect DeBrusk as he'll have more trade value on his own.

DeBrusk's only future with the team is either displacing Ritchie for that 3LW or taking the off-season to convert to 2RW (I'm assuming Hall & Krejci return). He can't play 3RW because while having a different skill set, he's a complimentary player like Ritchie and they both can't be on the same line together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad