Player Discussion Jake "Big Tuna" Virtanen | XVII Nikolaj Who...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Folks you have to give up on the Bertuzzi comparisons because there will never be another Bert, not because he was the most fantastic power forward ever to play the game (not even nearly) but because his finest years were during an era where the league refused to call interference penalties for his patented push off move. The second they started calling it he was useless, more a liability than anything. Of course we all know why the most fanatical of the Bertuzzi cult loves him so much and it's obvious that these fans want one of our up and coming "power forwards" to emulate him in a way that would make them proud. Kassian came close. Torres was stupid enough but we traded him before he got black listed. Virtanen isn't likely to clobber anybody, he's not that stupid and would prefer it if his career was noted for the hockey that he played not extra curricular nonsense. Interesting note: during his magical 46 goal season he was a measly +2...

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
They need to send this kid down and keep him there untill he stops taking those crappy shots from the perimeter.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Someone teach him how to do power moves and drive the net. Frankly speaking I think thats the only major problem he has.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Folks you have to give up on the Bertuzzi comparisons because there will never be another Bert, not because he was the most fantastic power forward ever to play the game (not even nearly) but because his finest years were during an era where the league refused to call interference penalties for his patented push off move. The second they started calling it he was useless, more a liability than anything. Of course we all know why the most fanatical of the Bertuzzi cult loves him so much and it's obvious that these fans want one of our up and coming "power forwards" to emulate him in a way that would make them proud. Kassian came close. Torres was stupid enough but we traded him before he got black listed. Virtanen isn't likely to clobber anybody, he's not that stupid and would prefer it if his career was noted for the hockey that he played not extra curricular nonsense. Interesting note: during his magical 46 goal season he was a measly +2...

Bertuzzi scored like 20-someodd PPG that year didn't he?

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Someone teach him how to do power moves and drive the net. Frankly speaking I think thats the only major problem he has.
On one of his rushes, he looked like he was about to beat one of the Leafs players wide at the top of the right circle at full speed; he would have walked right in if he had kept skating, but he actually stopped so that he could take a shot from the top of the circle.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
On one of his rushes, he looked like he was about to beat one of the Leafs players wide at the top of the right circle at full speed; he would have walked right in if he had kept skating, but he actually stopped so that he could take a shot from the top of the circle.
I noticed that one too, hopefully the coaching staff works on that aspect of his game because I believe if he fix that he will be scoring a lot more goals in the NHL.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Virtanen may need the Goldobin treatment. They have enough forwards to form lines without him. His game is so inconsistent that there is very little to rely upon.

Benning and Green graduated him on a short sample. He's showing that he still needs development time in the AHL.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015

It goes back to Cam Neely, in my mind.

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
The coaching staff should be getting Virtanen PK time in practice so he can add another element to his game. He’s always been good at picking off passes. His speed could open up a lot of breakaway type PK plays. And he could develope better D zone instincts.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
that shift last night where he almost dropped his stick and recovered enough without slowing down to get a shot off, then dangled gardiner coming out of the corner and found horvat trailing, that shows that jake has it in him.

he just has to figure out a way to be in that zone all the time, turn your brain off and just play completely on instinct.

of course the same could be said about probably 30% of the guys in the league. easier said than done.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
that shift last night where he almost dropped his stick and recovered enough without slowing down to get a shot off, then dangled gardiner coming out of the corner and found horvat trailing, that shows that jake has it in him.

He didn't find Horvat. He wasn't even trying to find Horvat, he tried a backhand saucer pass across ice to Goldobin (iirc) but he couldn't execute it, it was picked off by TO and rolled randomly in Horvat's direction. Nice moves on Gardiner though.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
I mean he ending up accomplishing nothing on that play when he either could've kept skating for a decent shot or slowed down entirely and try to set up some sort of cycle game, hopefully he can eventually make the right choice using intuition when he's in similar situations in the future.

I do understand why people want to send him down after that game, but he was far from invisible. Just wish he laid out Nylander or Matthews at least once and I would've been satisfied.

Last edited:

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Jake is not yet the sum of his parts. However he is still effective in his limited minutes. Need to add him to the pk as his speed and quickness would make him a natural. It would also increase his minutes up to regular level. Still think he will be a regular top 9 forward.

Reactions: DL44

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Watching Virtanen these days is fairly excruciating.....he's in a fog for a couple of shifts and then makes a rush like the one where he blows by Jake Gardner, who's no slouch as a skater either, and despite getting his stick slashed out of his hands still gets a shot off with one on the shaft of his stick. This guy's acceleration and speed is all-world....if he ever consistently goes wide and drives the net he'll be a load for any d-man in the league...but for whatever reason, only happens a few times a night.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Watching Virtanen these days is fairly excruciating.....he's in a fog for a couple of shifts and then makes a rush like the one where he blows by Jake Gardner, who's no slouch as a skater either, and despite getting his stick slashed out of his hands still gets a shot off with one on the shaft of his stick. This guy's acceleration and speed is all-world....if he ever consistently goes wide and drives the net he'll be a load for any d-man in the league...but for whatever reason, only happens a few times a night.

Ya I agree with this. Like I said many times, at the time of the draft, in terms of upside, his was as high as anyone's. This pick wasn't about making the safe pick. Virtanen's upside is huge. It just doesn't look like he will reach his projected potential.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

More like few times a week. I honestly think if he just skated hard and drove the net, for high quality shots with any kind of consistency, we would be having a completely different kind of discussion about JV.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
More like few times a week. I honestly think if he just skated hard and drove the net, for high quality shots with any kind of consistency, we would be having a completely different kind of discussion about JV.

Power forwards generally take a few years hes still young he has the tools the shot the speed the physical size you almost watch see he just hasn't put them all together but when he does what he can do a bit more time more confidence and might be a very solid player .

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Games like last night show off Virtanen's vast potential, and you can see why he was a high pick.

I don't know that he'll ever put it all together, but if he does...watch out.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I am surprised at how negative this thread is (lol well actually I shouldn't be)

I think Virtanen is showing more and more good signs even though his complete game is not all together yet. Green is trusting him more, player him later in games. He was physical last night, he was back checking, He was playing with speed. I thought that line played pretty well and caused the Canes some problems. He did drive to the net once, which yes, he absolutely needs to do more of but I think confidence grows from playing regular minutes and getting into the flow of the game.

I think working with Green is the best thing. I really disagree with burying him in Utica at this point if you want something long term out of this player. I also think he has done enough of what has been asked of him, has played well enough, has showed enough he deserves to be in Vancouver.

Not to mention...with Dorsett gone.. do you want Virtanen in Utica so we have a forward group without a player who will actually throw a body check?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad