Confirmed with Link: Jake Allen (50% retained) traded to the Devils for cond. 2025 3rd (2025 2nd if Allen plays in 40+ games and team qualifies for playoffs next season)

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Allen needed to go so Primeau could play. The return on Allen was of no consequence because we knew it would not be much. A 3rd is probably a 3, 4, 5 % chance of a good player. Whatever. I was afraid he wouldn't be traded so getting a 3rd for him is great.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Allen needed to go so Primeau could play. The return on Allen was of no consequence because we knew it would not be much. A 3rd is probably a 3, 4, 5 % chance of a good player. Whatever. I was afraid he wouldn't be traded so getting a 3rd for him is great.

Meh, the reason I like this trade is because NJ pulled a Marc Bergevin TDL powermove. They were zeroing on Markstrom all week and went home with... Jake Allen... at the end.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
That's a fine deal.

Allen, great person, nothing but amazing reviews about him. The poster from NB who talked about Allen just makes him seem like an even greater person.

However, he wasn't very good. He had a high cap hit and prevented the Habs from potentially finding their goalie(s) for the future.

Getting a 3rd with the potential of being a 2nd is great. I would have preferred a 7th and no retention, but I'll take this.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
It s nott really a good deal : takes a retention spot and the 3rd basically pays for the retention.

A retention spot may not had been worth much depending on potential deals to broker. Plus side, we fixed our 3-goalie tandem situation and we’ll have a retention spot open for next year to potentially retain for Savard or Armia.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
40 games is not that much with next season

I think it will be. With the 19 Devils have left this season and the 82 next year, there are 101 games the Devils will play.

But Devils plan to go big game goalie hunting this summer a la Markstrom.

And that will take away a lot of games. Even this year, Devils also acquired Kahkonen from Sharks. He might play as their #1 the rest of the way.

Despite that, a 3rd for the Habs' third goalie is still a real good return, even with the retention.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
The condition makes sense, unlike the Nils Lundqvist one 😆

*Habs get a 3rd if Struble scores 20 goals*

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Meh, the reason I like this trade is because NJ pulled a Marc Bergevin TDL powermove. They were zeroing on Markstrom all week and went home with... Jake Allen... at the end.
It's also a Bargainesque move from the Habs standpoint. HuGo repaired his own mistake by getting a 3rd. I mean if you believe that 3rd will upgrade to a second, you're dreaming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad