NFL: Jaguars terminate EVP Tom Coughlin

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The statement from Khan makes it sound like Caldwell and Marrone will be back next season.

You can't trust anything until the season ends, unless of course it happens before then. He's going to hire a new figurehead, and that guy is going to want his own people.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Kind of a sidebar, but my opinion, Coughlin is the most underappreciated head coach of last 25 years. Took early Jags to an AFC championship game (back when expansion teams were more handicapped).
And beat Belichick twice in the Stupid Bowl.
I'll miss his presence in the NFL.. successful, old school guy.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
He's bound for the Hall of Fame as a head coach but him in the front office...not so much.
His old school mentality was not fit for it, if reports say he was gonna retire then why not.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Should have just retired after the Giants parted ways............. mind you working and living in Florida for a 7 figure salary wasn't exactly a bad idea either :naughty:

So when is he eligible for HOF?

Coaches have to be retired for 5 years, so that would mean he's eligible after next season (last coached in 2015).

Don't believe his time with Jax will affect it, theres no particular rules for front office personnel anyway.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
This talk of Coughlin going to the HOF seems nuts to me. He was a good coach, but better coaches like Mike Holmgren aren't there so I don't see Coughlin making it.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Coughlin had a good run as coach. I think his winning the 2007 Super Bowl over the previously undefeated Patriots could seal the deal for him to be a Hall of Fame coach.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
This talk of Coughlin going to the HOF seems nuts to me..

Why ?..
Coughlin won two Super Bowls, took expansion Jags to AFC Championship games.. And I think he was on the coaching staff when Giants won a Stupid Bowl under Parcells.
My opinion, the two Super Bowls wins are enough for Hall of Fame, but guess it's subjective.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Why ?..
Coughlin won two Super Bowls, took expansion Jags to AFC Championship games.. And I think he was on the coaching staff when Giants won a Stupid Bowl under Parcells.
My opinion, the two Super Bowls wins are enough for Hall of Fame, but guess it's subjective.
My point was though that there are numerous other coaches better that aren't in the hall yet.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
My point was though that there are numerous other coaches better that aren't in the hall yet.

Better in what sense (?) The objective goal of a head coach is to win championships, no (?)
Who are the coaches w/2 or more Super Bowl wins that aren't in (or headed to) Canton ?

If you're using a more subjective standard, share.. I'm curious. Because by a subjective standard I think Coryell belongs in for his game-changing offensive innovation. But I wouldn't say Coryell's objective accomplishments were better than Coughlin's Lombardis. peace

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This talk of Coughlin going to the HOF seems nuts to me. He was a good coach, but better coaches like Mike Holmgren aren't there so I don't see Coughlin making it.

As a Packers fan I agree with you that Holmgren should be in. But he could be a little rough around the edges at times so I think that may be whats "holding" him back. He should get in soon though this year would have been nice since its the Packers 100th year.

RE Coughlin.... he has a very good case. For starters, Tom Flores, George Seifert, Jimmy Johnson and Mike Shanahan are the only other 2x SB champion coaches not in. Everyone ahead of Coughlin on the wins list is either in, lacks hardware/playoff success (Fisher, Knox, Reeves, Schottenheimer) or is still active (Reid, Belichick). He brought two franchises success, in Jacksonville's case the AFC title game in only their second year as a team, then won two titles with the Giants which also came against the best team of his time/era. He's 7th in playoff wins as well.

Plus the Giants factor helps, its similar to playing/coaching for an NHL O6 team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad