TSN: Jagr willing to wait for right NHL offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Jagr says he hopes to play for a contender.
"It's about going to a team where they have, let's say, fewer wings; going to the team that has a chance to win the Stanley Cup; and going to the team that plays similar kind of hockey as I do," Jagr said. "And to the team where I know there [are] a couple of players that I could click with playing together."
He also admits that salary is something that factors into the equation.

"Money is a factor, too," Jagr said. "But not because of the money itself, but because if you took an offer with a minimal salary, it could easily happen that after the first half of the season they tell you, 'Bye,' and you don't have a spot on the roster anymore. Myself, I'm curious to see how it's [going to] turn out."
If Jagr appears in 57 more NHL games, he'll overtake Gordie Howe for most games played in league history at 1,768.

http://www.tsn.ca/jagr-willing-to-wait-for-right-nhl-offer-1.848538

Any teams out there willing to meet Jagr's expectations?

He is concerned about playing for minimum not because of the money but the risk of getting dumped. Would Jagr and a team consider minimum + NMC to ensure he sticks around?

I suspect he may have to lower expectations. Would be unfortunate if he could not play 57 games to set a new record.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Flames might be the best fit. In an interview in the Czech Republic, Jagr said that the Flames have had interest in him since the beginning of free agency I believe. Gotta think having to get Bennett signed is holding things up.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
He is concerned about playing for minimum not because of the money but the risk of getting dumped. Would Jagr and a team consider minimum + NMC to ensure he sticks around?
That's not happening. Jagr would sit at home before he played for 650K. He's not going to come right out and say he wants money because he likes money. His history indicates that it's important to him, just like it is to everyone. I'm sure he could have helped out the Panthers by taking less than $5.5M (when you count his easily achievable games played bonuses), which he didn't, and who can blame him?

He hasn't made less than $3.3M since he came back to the NHL. Can't see him taking considerably less than that.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Flames might be the best fit. In an interview in the Czech Republic, Jagr said that the Flames have had interest in him since the beginning of free agency I believe. Gotta think having to get Bennett signed is holding things up.

In the article Jagr speaks of Calgary talks in past tense which may imply they are over or not very serious. Has Calgary improved enough to become a contender?

Jagr confirmed there was interest from the Calgary Flames, but he says he's unsure how legitimate it is.
"The interest has been there from the [July 1,]" Jagr said. "But it's tough to consider how big that interest really was, especially when it's changing from one day to another."

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
That's not happening. Jagr would sit at home before he played for 650K. He's not going to come right out and say he wants money because he likes money. His history indicates that it's important to him, just like it is to everyone. I'm sure he could have helped out the Panthers by taking less than $5.5M (when you count his easily achievable games played bonuses), which he didn't, and who can blame him?

He hasn't made less than $3.3M since he came back to the NHL. Can't see him taking considerably less than that.

Yeah I also highly doubt he would trade NMC for minimum wage. But if this was the deal breaker given all other expectations are met, I would if he would take it.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
He's looking for money and warmth. Don't be a fool and believe what he's saying. :laugh: He doesn't give a **** if his season ends in April or June. I think he'd prefer it to end earlier.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010

And based on his scoring, he's provided value every year since returning. He probably bases his compensation on performance bonuses again, but he should definitely be paid $4M or more based on what he's shown he will continue to bring.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Jagr still sells tickets. People will want to say they saw Jagr play in the season he broke Howe's records.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
He's going to sign in Calgary. Too much smoke.

There have been things coming out from Czech reporters.

Today on the Alfaro morning sports show one of the hosts asked "do you like 45 year old wingers" Treliving kind of chuckled and said "only if they have long hair"

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Ottawa was just one goal away from the SCF this past year.

Anything can happen. Just get in. Not saying itÂ’s likely, though.

I mean, you can say that for any team.. Fact is he wants to go to what he considers a contender.

Calgary is definitely not that, and I don't think you'll find many Flames fans arguing when they're left off of the pre-season "contender lists" that every writer puts out.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Ottawa was just one goal away from the SCF this past year.

Anything can happen. Just get in. Not saying it’s likely, though.

If the Ducks, Sharks, or Oilers just cease to exist, then the Flames might be able to make it to the WCF. The Flames arent contenders. They got swept by the Ducks with ease. The Ducks are what a contender looks like.

And Jagr has always been about money. Let him do what he wants, but it doesn't make him look any less entitled.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He was probably offered a lot of 35+ contracts with bonuses in place of guaranteed money.

There was a big drop off in his play from 15-16 to 16-17, and players in their late 30s can fall off big year to year let alone players in their late 40s with suspect foot speed in a league that is becoming faster each year.

Jagr being selective, and very few teams wanting to pay him 2nd line money are probably the reason he hasn't signed yet.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
He was probably offered a lot of 35+ contracts with bonuses in place of guaranteed money.

There was a big drop off in his play from 15-16 to 16-17, and players in their late 30s can fall off big year to year let alone players in their late 40s with suspect foot speed in a league that is becoming faster each year.

Jagr being selective, and very few teams wanting to pay him 2nd line money are probably the reason he hasn't signed yet.

Agreed. He's priced himself out and he's being unreasonable. But he's made tons of money in his career where it doesn't mean anything.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Like he said, you limit yourself to low value contracts if you sign low at the end of your career. Obviously some players have to, but if they can hold out for just a little more, it could mean millions down the road.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I mean, you can say that for any team.. Fact is he wants to go to what he considers a contender.

Calgary is definitely not that, and I don't think you'll find many Flames fans arguing when they're left off of the pre-season "contender lists" that every writer puts out.

Sure, but I think in the pecking order of things here, a top Cup contender is lower on the wish list than potential linemates and salary.

It seems like Jagr is still having fun playing hockey, so I have a hard time faulting him for not chasing Cup Cup Cup, especially when his legacy is set and he's already got a pair. He didn't sign a multi-year contract with the Panthers a few years ago because he thought they would give him a great chance at another Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad