Jagr vs Forsberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Jagr is a great player no doubt.
But if Forsberg was not a Flyer he is one guy who I would pay to go see play against my team.
Forsberg makes everyone around him better. he will hit you, take the puck away from you, pass it to a teammate who will score the goal that wins the game.
Dont get me wrong Jagr is a great player and can score allot of goals, But there are not to may people who can bring the total package every night the way Forsberg can.
Too many people look at goal scoring and say yup, Jagr is better. There is more to hockey then scoring goals. Forsberg could score more if he wanted to but he loves making players on his team better hockey players around him. He makes players on his line better players. In all honesty I dont know If I can say that about Jagr.

Kluivert4Ever

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Wranglers110 said:
I'll always remember Peter Forsberg skipping out the 2001-2002 season and coming back just for the playoffs and putting up 27 points in 20 games.

Yeah, which is why those numbers are inflated, if you join a race when the rest of the competition have run 90% of it then you will obviously be in better shape and run the last 10% better than anyone else.

DayWalk3r

YouTube Guru
Sep 13, 2005
Northern Hemisphere
Kluivert4Ever said:
Yeah, which is why those numbers are inflated, if you join a race when the rest of the competition have run 90% of it then you will obviously be in better shape and run the last 10% better than anyone else.

:biglaugh:

give me a break!
I know for sure that it's much harder to get in shape when you practise on your own an entire season and not getting any game experience at all instead of playing with the team the entire season and have the game-tempo/pace in you. I've done it myself actually.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
DayWalk3r said:

give me a break!
I know for sure that it's much harder to get in shape when you practise on your own an entire season and not getting any game experience at all instead of playing with the team the entire season and have the game-tempo/pace in you. I've done it myself actually.
Getting in shape, yes. But entering the playoffs without playing the 82 game regular season sure does eliminate all the wear and tear that he would've had. Must be nice to be one of the only completely healthy players at the most important time of the season. :sarcasm:

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
ClarkeMustGoDotCom said:
he will hit you, take the puck away from you, pass it to a teammate who will score the goal that wins the game.
Dont get me wrong Jagr is a great player and can score allot of goals, But there are not to may people who can bring the total package every night the way Forsberg can.
But Forsberg cant bring it every night. Its a proven fact. He gets hurt way too much. He has already missed a few games this season, and some people think that he is still hurt, who knows how much longer he is going to hold up.

ClarkeMustGoDotCom said:
He makes players on his line better players. In all honesty I dont know If I can say that about Jagr.

Then you must be watching a different Jaromir Jagr than I.

Goldark

Jun 5, 2002
Ann Arbor
www.
ClarkeMustGoDotCom said:
He makes players on his line better players. In all honesty I dont know If I can say that about Jagr.

You got to be kidding, right? Jagr's uncanny goal-scoring ability is only surpassed by his playmaking ability. Please leave the homerism at home next time you post.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
ClarkeMustGoDotCom said:
Jagr is a great player no doubt.
But if Forsberg was not a Flyer he is one guy who I would pay to go see play against my team.
Forsberg makes everyone around him better. he will hit you, take the puck away from you, pass it to a teammate who will score the goal that wins the game.
Too many people look at goal scoring and say yup, Jagr is better. There is more to hockey then scoring goals. Forsberg could score more if he wanted to but he loves making players on his team better hockey players around him. He makes players on his line better players. In all honesty I dont know If I can say that about Jagr.
that has to be a joke..everybody that has ever played on a line with Jagr has probably had their best seasons. Stu barnes and Kip miller come to mind, both of these players' best seasons have come playing with jagr. Miller, a career minor leaguer never had more than 15 pts in a season before playing with Jagr..with him he had his 2 most productive seasons in his career. Barnes never had more tham 19 goals in a season..all of sudden he plays with jagr and becomes a 30 goal scorer. Get real!

Roger's Pancreas*

Goldark said:
You got to be kidding, right? Jagr's uncanny goal-scoring ability is only surpassed by his playmaking ability. Please leave the homerism at home next time you post.

Kind of a ridiculous comment for any number of reasons but whatever.

Saying that Jagr doesn't make the players around him better is really underrating his playmaking ability. He's a great playmaker but he doesn't try to do too much, if there's a shot to be had he'll take it. Forsberg on the other hand will make things happen that shouldn't be, his passing is just that good.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Wranglers110 said:
As for who makes their teamates better?.....I never thought of Mike Knuble as a big offensive threat before. Why is he suddenly now? :dunno:

Because he works well with an elite play-making centre? :dunno:

He scored 59 points with Joe Thornton in 75 games (.78 ppg), and currently has 32 points in 39 with Forsberg (.82 ppg). Certainly bit of an improvement, but he's not exactly breaking out. He's essentially playing the same role as he did on the Bruins, but with better linemates

I don't think anyone ever argued that Forsberg wasn't a great playmaker...he's certainly one of the best (if not the very best) in the league right now

Last edited:

Kluivert4Ever

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
DayWalk3r said:

give me a break!

Being fully rested when everyone else is anything but >>>> Than having to get in shape by yourself.

Kluivert4Ever

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Wranglers110 said:
As for who makes their teamates better?.....I never thought of Mike Knuble as a big offensive threat before. Why is he suddenly now? :dunno:

Knuble averaged a point per game as a winger to Petr Nedved when Petr was aquired by the Rangers.

Jordoe28

Sep 3, 2005
Thunder Bay
www.freewebs.com
tom_servo said:
Tugnutt was traded from Ottawa, with Janne Laukkanen, for a just-about-washed-up Tom Barrasso.

His success with the Pens in the playoffs that season was a surprise.

The Pens never had the defense, nor the goaltending, to make a serious run while Jagr was the team's top player.

That is so wrong .. Before Tugnutt was on Pittsburgh, he played four seasons with Ottawa, in whcih he came in as a third stringer, to a backup, to a 1B starter, to the bonafide starter. He broke the NHL record for lowest GAA in 98/99, and Ottawa was not the team they are today back in 1998. Ottawa traded Tugnutt because of his lack of playoff experience, and the fact that his contract was up at the end of the year and they didn't have the MONEY to sign him. He was expected to be worth so much because he was considered an elite goaltender in the league. He only continued that play with Pittsburgh in the playoffs, which made him worht even more.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Jordoe28 said:
That is so wrong .. Before Tugnutt was on Pittsburgh, he played four seasons with Ottawa, in whcih he came in as a third stringer, to a backup, to a 1B starter, to the bonafide starter. He broke the NHL record for lowest GAA in 98/99, and Ottawa was not the team they are today back in 1998. Ottawa traded Tugnutt because of his lack of playoff experience, and the fact that his contract was up at the end of the year and they didn't have the MONEY to sign him. He was expected to be worth so much because he was considered an elite goaltender in the league. He only continued that play with Pittsburgh in the playoffs, which made him worht even more.
How does that post have almost anything to do with the topic? :dunno:

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
12# Peter Bondra said:
How does that post have almost anything to do with the topic? :dunno:
Certain people keep bringing up the fact that if Jagr is such a great player, he should have led his great penguins/caps teams (Kip Miller, TUGNUTT, Ian Moran) to better playoff results. They then fail to admit that Forsberg also failed to lead great teams (Sakic, Hejduk, Roy) to any more cups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad