Jagr vs Forsberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Tale of the tape is:

68. Jaromir Jagr drafted: 5th overall-'90 (33 yrs/6'2/235lbs): 1059-560-799-1359 +216
21. Peter Forsberg drafted: 6th overall-'91 (32 yrs/6'0/205lbs): 602-225-557-782 +221

Two dominant players of the last decade, 5 Arts Rosses to 1 for Jagr, 2 Stanley Cups each, both parts of great offensive duos: Lemieux-Jagr, Sakic-Forsberg. So who would you take on for your team?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Jagr.

As I've stated before: sweeter mullet, funnier accent, one of the best offensive players ever.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
Forsberg hands down.

I'll agree with 12 out 15 NHL gm's on the same poll - Forsberg is multi faceted, combining a tenacious forecheck game with strong defensive play simultaneously while making anyone he's on the ice with a threat to score. I've yet to see anyone maintain control of the puck as long as him despite pressure. He's a wizard at both ends.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Jagr.

I'd like to see Peter lead the 99 Pens or the current Rangers team in a Jagr-type manner.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
Corto said:
Jagr.

I'd like to see Peter lead the 99 Pens or the current Rangers team in a Jagr-type manner.

He's in Philly doing that. Jagr only has goals, while Peter has a multi-dimensional game. 12 out of 15 NHL GM's chose Forsberg if offered any one player to build a team around. That should tell you something.

Chinaski*

Are you sure he only has goals? Watch Rangers games and don't jump to conclusions so quickly.

Chinaski*

Well just imagine if these two played together. That would be the best thing since Jagr-Lemieux. Even better.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Forsberg rather easily. When the going gets tough, Forsberg raises his game another level, while Jagr has often times disappeared and wanted no part of any physical play. Forsberg makes everyone around him better, not just his linemates, because of the determination he plays with (Jagr too can make his linemates better). Both can take over a game offensively, Forsberg can take over a game physically as well. If Forsberg was remotely healthy throughout his career, he'd win this discussion fairly easily, imo. Both are world class players, no doubt, and either could make a case as a top 10 forward of all time, imo.

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
ftyutin51 said:
Jaromir Jagr. He doesn't even have to work for the puck, it just comes to him and he creates magic on the ice.

That's the point. Forsberg is what makes it possible for other players to say that. Forsberg, hands down, IMO.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Rush5Collapse5 said:
He's in Philly doing that. Jagr only has goals, while Peter has a multi-dimensional game. 12 out of 15 NHL GM's chose Forsberg if offered any one player to build a team around. That should tell you something.

Tells me those GM's are foolish. I wouldn't build around a 32 year old who spends half his life on injured reserve. I'm not stating this as a case for Jagr, but it would be nuts IMO to pick Forsberg over younger, healthier players to build a team around. 15 of 15 GM's should have picked a goalie.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Jagr. It's very easy for me. Only Howe, Gretzky and Lemieux have won more Art Ross Trophies.

Rush5Collapse5 said:
Like I said, I agree with the NHL GM's on this one
Don't trust guys who can trade Naslund for Stojanov :sarcasm:

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
arrbez said:
Tells me those GM's are foolish. I wouldn't build around a 32 year old who spends half his life on injured reserve. I'm not stating this as a case for Jagr, but it would be nuts IMO to pick Forsberg over younger, healthier players to build a team around. 15 of 15 GM's should have picked a goalie.

I'm talking about that old The Hockey News year end annual poll (97-98)

The poll was about forwards.

Most of them chose Forsberg over Jagr. Those were the two most voted for, though Forsberg (understandably) got more of the votes.

If I'm a GM and have my choice of forwards to build a team around, I don't go with a one dimensional player (Jagr). I'd much rather have the guy that controls the game at both ends of the ice (Forsberg).

Today If I'm a GM and asked that same question, It probably wouldn't be either. It would likely be Thornton, or Iginla.

-

Transported Upstater

Forsberg4ever said:
Tale of the tape is:

68. Jaromir Jagr drafted: 5th overall-'90 (33 yrs/6'2/235lbs): 1059-560-799-1359 +216
21. Peter Forsberg drafted: 6th overall-'91 (32 yrs/6'0/205lbs): 602-225-557-782 +221

Two dominant players of the last decade, 5 Arts Rosses to 1 for Jagr, 2 Stanley Cups each, both parts of great offensive duos: Lemieux-Jagr, Sakic-Forsberg. So who would you take on for your team?

For right now, or all time?

All time, Jagr's career blows Forsberg's out of the water.

Right now, I would take a healthy Peter Forsberg over any player in the world.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Forsberg. He was a better all-round player in his prime than Jagr, and is a better player now. Put it this way: I'd rather have Forsberg with 105 points and all he brings to the table, than Jagr with 120 points. (Which is the totals they had when they won their respective Hart Trophies). Yes, Jagr won his Hart playing with Kip Miller, while Forsberg did it with Hejduk and Tanguay, but in the end, Forsberg was still the better player. Both won two Cups, but Forsberg was an instrumental player on one of those championship teams. Jagr was a secondary player on the 1992 championship and a third liner in 1991. But in the end, I take Forsberg, because he's the guy I'd want on the ice in a Game 7 of the playoffs. And when it comes to comparing Forsberg and Jagr, it's not even close in that vital argument.

It's really a pick your poison poll, involving two completely different players. Both are headed for well-deserved places in the HHOF, no matter how you slice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad