Injury Report: Jaden Schwartz placed on IR with fractured left ankle; to be re-evaluated in 12 weeks

jmwc95

Jul 12, 2007
http://blues.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=784600

ST. LOUIS – St. Louis Blues President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Doug Armstrong announced today the club has placed forward Jaden Schwartz on injured reserve after Schwartz suffered a fractured left ankle during practice Friday.

Following the injury, Schwartz was transported to the Washington University Orthopedic Center, where Dr. Matt Matava and Dr. Jeremy McCormick performed successful surgery on the ankle.

Schwartz is scheduled to be re-evaluated in 12 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
84971-Ron-Swanson-throws-out-compute-CMGq.gif

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Sounds like this was a complicated fracture...maybe both tibia and fibula? Still from a fracture you would expect a complete recovery...but 12 weeks before reassessment sounds outside the norm. How long was Stamkos out?

But the good news is that it's not season ending and happened so early.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
Sounds like this was a complicated fracture...maybe both tibia and fibula? Still from a fracture you would expect a complete recovery...but 12 weeks before reassessment sounds outside the norm. How long was Stamkos out?

But the good news is that it's not season ending and happened so early.

Stamkos was out for about 3 months, which was nearly half the original timeline. He had a rod put in which stabilized his leg, so he was able to start putting weight on it 2 or 3 weeks following the surgery.

I wouldn't expect anything drastically different from this timeline, but I would keep in mind that broken bone timelines are assumed using recovery time of an avg person, not an athlete — generally the healthier the person, the faster a bone heals.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
Damn that sucks, I expect a bus accident to take out the rest of the our team with the way our luck has been gong.

Hopefully Rattie is up for the task.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
JR speculates that we might deal from our defensive depth to acquire some offense. This could be interesting.

Hope Schwartz has a smooth recovery. Any health experts know whether this will impact his skating?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Better than ACL blowing out, but to lose one of your best players during a drill in practice is just such a Blues thing.

Did that video the Blues posted last night piss anyone else off? Where Elliott was shooting pucks at(I think it was Ott) standing in the net? Like we don't have enough injuries we can just afford to do dumb **** during practice. I'm sure I'm overreacting but that was my first instinct.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
JR speculates that we might deal from our defensive depth to acquire some offense. This could be interesting.

Hope Schwartz has a smooth recovery. Any health experts know whether this will impact his skating?
Of course he just drops his usual vague predictions. No names dropped at all. We've got Schmaltz that holds value who could be had...what does he net? I mean you have to think they'd go after a known top 6 scorer...Schmaltz doesn't get you that. Lindbohm would be absolutely dumb to trade.

I hope he's just blowing smoke. Teams have success when their rookies step up and we need that instead of blowing futures on some scrub.

Steen Lehterä Tarasenko
Fabbri Backes Brouwer
Rattie Gomez Jaskin
Ott Brodziak Reaves
Upshall

Boumeester Pietrangelo
Gunnarson Shattenkirk
Edmundson Parayko

With Chicago floundering...and the Pacific being a suckfest...I don't see how 3 months of that (1 without Stastny) kills the franchise.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Better than ACL blowing out, but to lose one of your best players during a drill in practice is just such a Blues thing.

Did that video the Blues posted last night piss anyone else off? Where Elliott was shooting pucks at(I think it was Ott) standing in the net? Like we don't have enough injuries we can just afford to do dumb **** during practice. I'm sure I'm overreacting but that was my first instinct.

You mean Allen and BUTLER.... oh the Horror of Butler getting hurt. The dude blocks slap shots...I don't think some weak wristers from Allen is going to do ****. I for one like that there is still a playful mood in the locker room even after one of their friends just shattered his ankle.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou

I don't like the idea of us dealing out of desperation though, those sorts of trades never seem to end well. I hope we can trade and still acquire a controllable player. I don't want some washed up rental. A young center or forward with upside.

Lakebum

Apr 2, 2014
Well we are supposed to get shatty and Fabri back tues. Of course Jaden gets hurt the day after I buy tickets to Tuesdays game. Speaking of which, it is beer stein night. If I and the wife show up at 6 will that be early enough to get one? I got a pair of cheap box seats so we are going to eat there.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Man this sucks. Just blows when good players are lost to injury for everyone involved. He's such a joy to watch. Silver lining is that it's not an ACL and it happened really early. I have a ton of faith in Schwartz's work ethic and I think he'll be ready to go by February.

Time to see what Fabbri and Rattie can do. I'm not totally against trading for a forward, but only if it makes sense. (We fill a long term need and receive fair value) Any panic moves and I'll be pissed. We have solid depth. We have two prospects that earned a spot in camp but we could only keep one. Berglund and Stastny won't be out that much longer. Stay patient and see how we do for a month before pulling the trigger.

Tarasenko, we already ask a lot of you. Now would be an awesome time to see if you have that SUPER carry-the-team-on-your-back beast mode gear.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010

Oh boy, that scares me a bit. Armstrong hasn't been very good at desperation moves -(sending out prospects/picks for players that contributed very little). We should at least give it 10 games or so to see how we fare without Schwartz. I think Rattie will perform better than expected, and if Hitch realizes that the Jaskin-Backes-Brouwer line has no chemistry, that could help as well.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Oh boy, that scares me a bit. Armstrong hasn't been very good at desperation moves -(sending out prospects/picks for players that contributed very little). We should at least give it 10 games or so to see how we fare without Schwartz. I think Rattie will perform better than expected, and if Hitch realizes that the Jaskin-Backes-Brouwer line has no chemistry, that could help as well.

I'm fine if Gunnar moves.

I think this is bait from Army, if some GM might be interesting our dmens and counterpart is right we might see Dmen <-> forward. I hope its Gunnar.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

I don't see that as a super high priority if Stastny is nearly back. Just call up Rattie. Unless the feeling is Schwartz won't be able to come back effectively this season, or there are strong sentiments about not keeping Fabbri past his 9 games (which would shock me) I think its a little early to be entertaining moves like this. If there's a good trade to be had, you do it any time. But a move like this at this point in the season seems pretty far-fetched to me. Even using it as an excuse to try and deal Gunnarson seems doubtful.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Man we really need to tread water for the next month until Stastny gets back. In the mean time, if we can acquire a forward while Fabbri and Rattie hopefully play well, we can still win games until January when we will get reinforcements back. The good news is he will be back this season.

Hopefully the bleeding stops after this. Really tough go.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
So Linbohm for a twilight winger? Then we burry Fabbri and Rattie when everyone returns? Sounds like an Army like scenario.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm fine if Gunnar moves.

I think this is bait from Army, if some GM might be interesting our dmens and counterpart is right we might see Dmen <-> forward. I hope its Gunnar.

That crossed my mind too. If he can get a desperate GM needing D to make an offer, it looks like Armstrong is more likely to deal....but I doubt tactics like this work very often.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
That crossed my mind too. If he can get a desperate GM needing D to make an offer, it looks like Armstrong is more likely to deal....but I doubt tactics like this work very often.
Well a lot of teams need defense so it's not out of the question.

Cam Atkinson, anyone? He'd be a decent pickup who is available.

The thing is though, as much as I don't care for Gunnarsson I'm not sure we can afford to move him this early. That leaves our defensive depth looking very young. Would the Blues instead try dealing from the pipeline and move a guy like Vannelli + mid picks? It'd be nice if they could swing a move like that but it would probably require Lindbohm. I wouldn't be opposed to moving him in the right deal.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Gunnarsson has been playing much better. In a GMs eyes that should eliminate concerns to a degree.

Columbus and Pittsburgh need help....don't know what return I'd like.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Well a lot of teams need defense so it's not out of the question.

Cam Atkinson, anyone? He'd be a decent pickup who is available.

The thing is though, as much as I don't care for Gunnarsson I'm not sure we can afford to move him this early. That leaves our defensive depth looking very young. Would the Blues instead try dealing from the pipeline and move a guy like Vannelli + mid picks? It'd be nice if they could swing a move like that but it would probably require Lindbohm. I wouldn't be opposed to moving him in the right deal.
Even if Columbus would accept something like a Gunnarsson for Atkinson as a base, they would need to retain $600k to keep us cap compliant (when everyone is healthy).

Doubt they want to do that for the better part of three years, so we would have to shed cap in another deal.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I don't see that as a super high priority if Stastny is nearly back. Just call up Rattie. Unless the feeling is Schwartz won't be able to come back effectively this season, or there are strong sentiments about not keeping Fabbri past his 9 games (which would shock me) I think its a little early to be entertaining moves like this. If there's a good trade to be had, you do it any time. But a move like this at this point in the season seems pretty far-fetched to me. Even using it as an excuse to try and deal Gunnarson seems doubtful.

I wouldn't put it past Armstrong to trade one of our prospects for some half-decent winger. I personally would prefer to just slot Rattie in and see how he progresses, but Armstrong's perception of this team is clearly different to ours based on his past history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad