Jaden Schwartz Injured

Boom King

Dec 11, 2010
http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/20539944850161667

Bob corrected in a tweet after saying that it actually happened during the second game. Tough loss for Canada. His production on the PP is a big hole to fill. In case some of you are wondering, there are no injury replacements or call ups once the tournament begins unless it's an injured goalie.

Last edited:

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
...and there goes our most talented winger. :shakehead :( :cry:

I didn't like Canada's chances of Gold before his injury, and this definitely won't help in any way.

Hooch314

Mar 16, 2008
He is a St. Louis Blue remember? No one should be surprised.

Sobotka
Janssen
Winchester
Colaiacovo
Polak
Jackman
Perron
Oshie
McDonald
Pietrangelo
Scatchard
Oystrick
Johnson
and now Schwartz

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Why he was on the ice in an already out-of-hand round robin game with a broken ankle I do not understand. Some very puzzling decisions from our coaching staff over the last two tournaments...:shakehead

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
Why he was on the ice in an already out-of-hand round robin game with a broken ankle I do not understand. Some very puzzling decisions from our coaching staff over the last two tournaments...:shakehead

Going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing they just found out it was broken today. If he says he's ok (and he scored after the injury), they're going to let him play. Short tourneys you need to work on PP/PK/etc whenever you get the chance, even in a blowout.

goknights45

Sep 20, 2010
That's awful for Schwartz.

Too bad that both him and Kassian are gone for the Sweden game. What about Eakin?

Really stupid how you're not allowed to call anyone back. What if 10 of your forwards suddenly couldn't play for some reason? Are you then supposed to play with one line the entire game? IHF SUCKS!

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
That's awful for Schwartz.

Too bad that both him and Kassian are gone for the Sweden game. What about Eakin?

Really stupid how you're not allowed to call anyone back. What if 10 of your forwards suddenly couldn't play for some reason? Are you then supposed to play with one line the entire game? IHF SUCKS!

If you don't have that rule in place you're going to get a lot of mysterious "injuries" popping up as players struggle. Also, the team who's hosting the tournament (or continent/region) is goign to benefit. Would be much harder for the Europeans to call someone up today than for Team Canada or USA. Wouldn't be fair.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
What a dumb rule. You can't bring anyone else up. So what the hell happens when you lose 3 or 4 of your players? There has to be some kind of emergency call up or something. This is stupid though, we basically lose a roster spot for the rest of the tourney.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
So what happens now? I'm not familiar with how the rules work for a player injured but they can't "call anyone up" or anything like that?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
If you don't have that rule in place you're going to get a lot of mysterious "injuries" popping up as players struggle. Also, the team who's hosting the tournament (or continent/region) is goign to benefit. Would be much harder for the Europeans to call someone up today than for Team Canada or USA. Wouldn't be fair.

Then you expand the rosters. Bring an extra 2 or 3 players along with the main team so if injuries do happen, the kid won't have to fly from where he is to the host country. There's ways around it, the IIHF is just being lazy. Ohh you have an injury sorry out of luck. Plus the whole point of mysterious injuries and all that. Well, why would a team not bring their best players to begin with? You're not going to bring a team and then try to sneak in one of your best players cause he's already on the team so the whole mysterious injury notion is out the window.

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
Then you expand the rosters. Bring an extra 2 or 3 players along with the main team so if injuries do happen, the kid won't have to fly from where he is to the host country. There's ways around it, the IIHF is just being lazy. Ohh you have an injury sorry out of luck. Plus the whole point of mysterious injuries and all that. Well, why would a team not bring their best players to begin with? You're not going to bring a team and then try to sneak in one of your best players cause he's already on the team so the whole mysterious injury notion is out the window.

No it isn't. You may have 10 players who are close to the same level (look at Canada, any number of players could've taken our 3rd or 4th line roles). If a few of them are struggling, you could see mysterious injuries come up to replace those gusy with other role players. It would absolutely happen.

goknights45

Sep 20, 2010
No it isn't. You may have 10 players who are close to the same level (look at Canada, any number of players could've taken our 3rd or 4th line roles). If a few of them are struggling, you could see mysterious injuries come up to replace those gusy with other role players. It would absolutely happen.

Then if the IHF actually felt that way, they wouldn't allow you to replace an "injured" goalie as the rule stands right now.

Just imagine: "Well guys, we're in the gold medal game, we're playing 6 on 5 since both have goalies have suddenly been struck with pneumonia."

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

I highly doubt that would happen. If that happens then you have to wonder about the coach and whether he picked the right team to begin with.

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
Always been different rules with goalies (they're different than skaters, not sure if you've noticed). Even the NHL allows for an Emergency Goalie situation. If both goalies get hurt, you can dress someone else (usually a trainer or a skater who occasionally practices as goalie) for the remainder of the game. Way different scenario than skater injuires.

For the record, I'm not saying that having a 2 man taxi-squad (like the Olympics) would be a bad idea, I'm just saying why I think the IIHF does it this way.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
...so Kassian is suspended for the Sweden game. Jaden Schwartz is out for the whole tournament.

Any updates on Cody Eakin and Calvin de Haan?

Other Little Mikey

Aug 31, 2005
Edmonton
If you don't have that rule in place you're going to get a lot of mysterious "injuries" popping up as players struggle.

So who cares? Have one more forward and one more d-man, or just say two players and let the teams pick which position. They don't necessarily dress but you can switch them into the line-up. That's what the NHL does, right?

At the very least, I don't know why you can't change the roster up to the medal round, which is the way the senior men's tournament is. They can make changes in the preliminary round or whatever it's called.

I'm thinking mainly for injury reasons but if you think you'd get people faking stuff then just leave it open to whatever reason. Would it suck for some poor 19-year-old kid to play poorly for 3 games and get replaced? Obviously, but that's the way it is in sports. Play well or gtfo.

Any updates on Cody Eakin and Calvin de Haan?

They're both expected to play tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad