Signing(s): Jacoby Brissett signs with the Patriots (1 year, $8 million)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Thought he was going to be the guy.

Drafting Maye now?

We'll see...
Well, they will take whoever is left from Daniels/Maye. Brissett allows them to sit whichever guy they draft. More likely to sit Maye over Daniels just due to the number of college starts.

Reactions: Tuggy

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Nathan Rourke remains the best QB on the Patriots roster after this move, IMO.
Yeah, but really, best for his career to move on since they are going to focus their attention on the QB they draft at 3.

I did think last season, that he needed to have a 2 year play. Year 1, likely PS, then year 2 backup. But, that only made sense if he remained on the same roster. Going from JAX to NE late, not great.

He was on the PS, so I believe they have the option to either remain on the PS or get signed (more money since he has to be on NE's main roster I believe).

Didn't think Jax made sense given that you typically do not see teams wanting 2 younger QBs as the top 2 guys. Felt Min, SEA, and others were a better fit on this 2 year plan. In SEA, no Lock and in Minny, it's Hall who didn't show well and Darnold barring them drafting a QB.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yeah, but really, best for his career to move on since they are going to focus their attention on the QB they draft at 3.

I did think last season, that he needed to have a 2 year play. Year 1, likely PS, then year 2 backup. But, that only made sense if he remained on the same roster. Going from JAX to NE late, not great.

He was on the PS, so I believe they have the option to either remain on the PS or get signed (more money since he has to be on NE's main roster I believe).

Didn't think Jax made sense given that you typically do not see teams wanting 2 younger QBs as the top 2 guys. Felt Min, SEA, and others were a better fit on this 2 year plan. In SEA, no Lock and in Minny, it's Hall who didn't show well and Darnold barring them drafting a QB.

Yup don't disagree with you at all. He's signed a 1 year RFA tender, it's likely NE brings him into camp. Which is worst case scenario cause with a rookie at 3 plus it being a TC battle, likely those 2 get most/all the preseason snaps. So Rourke may get limited reps in pre-season as well. Along with new staff that had no part in picking him, it's just bad fit this year.

It'll be interesting to see which PS he bounces too after he gets cut.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yup don't disagree with you at all. He's signed a 1 year RFA tender, it's likely NE brings him into camp. Which is worst case scenario cause with a rookie at 3 plus it being a TC battle, likely those 2 get most/all the preseason snaps. So Rourke may get limited reps in pre-season as well. Along with new staff that had no part in picking him, it's just bad fit this year.

It'll be interesting to see which PS he bounces too after he gets cut.
That's why it was a massive decision where he signed last season. Track had to give him a legit shot at Backup. Didn't think Jax made sense. NFL values experience and those guys, even in losses like Mullens, Beathread, Dobbs, Trubisky, etc who have 12 or more starts under their belt will be valued as a backup over someone without exp.

Just the luck of the draw as the SF guys got their shot when Jimmy G went down with his ACL and the prior year with Hoyer as the transition guy.

You have to perform when you get the call. Everything was setup for Ridder last year in ATL. Returning to same team and HC/OC, got a few starts in 2022 to get a feel of NFL speed, and camp to work with his weapons. Just didn't delivery. But, he would be viewed as a solid backup most likely when his rookie deal is over.

Might not be fair, but how it goes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad