Jacob Trouba a real 1st pair defenceman?

Question Do you think Jacob Trouba is a real 1st pair right handed defenceman?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He's not the subjective "true #1D" people tend to talk about, who is going to play 25+ min in all situations, but you can make a case he's a top 31 defenseman, and I don't think he'd be out of place as the best defenseman on a good team, though you probably want at least one other comparable level defenseman. McAvoy was just the #1D of a Cup finalist. I don't think there's a significant difference between them currently.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
not sure what a real 1st pair Dman is but he's was playing on the 1st pair for the Jets for 3 seasons and did really well. is that considered real, or fake?

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
100% no doubt sure fire top pairing dman.

Borderline #1 currently. Trouba absolutely has the potential to become a legit #1 tho, and I think he will do so given a larger role.

Voted yes. Detroit was foolish to not beat NYR offer...unless there was more going on behind the scenes that we were not privy to (likely).

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
everyone seems to be on the mark here, not a guy you want carrying his partner on a top pairing but with a partner as good as him or better you feel pretty good about your top pair

Reactions: Morgs

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
If Trouba isn't a #1, where are guys like Morgan Rielly? Rielly isn't anywhere near a shut down D, but most would consider him a #1. Karlsson? Same thing.
Point is, there aren't any perfect players. Trouba is easily in the top 30 D in the NHL, thus #1.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Yes i meant #1 dman

Then why did you say "1st pair"? Do some proof reading, you kind of ruined this poll now with your conflicting criteria. He's a pretty clear top pairing but not a 1D.

If Trouba isn't a #1, where are guys like Morgan Rielly? Rielly isn't anywhere near a shut down D, but most would consider him a #1. Karlsson? Same thing.
Point is, there aren't any perfect players. Trouba is easily in the top 30 D in the NHL, thus #1.

Most people would consider 1D a role, not just the top defenseman on a particular team. There's plenty of teams that don't have anyone to fill that 1D role.

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Then why did you say "1st pair"? Do some proof reading, you kind of ruined this poll now with your conflicting criteria. He's a pretty clear top pairing but not a 1D.

Most people would consider 1D a role, not just the top defenseman on a particular team. There's plenty of teams that don't have anyone to fill that 1D role.

Sorry i have struggle to set up polls sometimes with my dyslexia

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
For d-men, Trouba was:

13th in points
17th in points/gp
22nd in even strength points
T-42nd in goals
T-5th in short handed points
33rd in shots

35th in TOI/GP
65th in hits
6th in blocks
44th in SHTOI/gp

Definitely a top pairing guy, probably could fit in in the 25-31 range of #1 men in the league.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA