Player Discussion Jacob Middleton

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Could just be a rotation thing. Bring out Kulikov against an "easier" team in the Nucks? Maybe Kukilov needs a maintenance day?

No idea. just postulating.

Reactions: TaLoN

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Idk I can’t see a world where we trade Dumba over Fiala. But tbh I’m really stoked about the idea of Middleton playing with Spurgeon and re-signing at under $3m for a few more years.

Doesn’t work, forgot to include buyouts. We’re unable to make it under the cap even adding a minimum contract. Maybe trade Talbot and try to re-sign MAF for like 2.75 and bring up Hunter Jones as the 2nd goalie. Then you barely make it. Hell trade Gaudreau and make a run at Meyers and save another 300k. But you need to also figure in Rossi. Fiala has to come in 6.5 or less or it can’t happen. Or Middleton needs to come in at 2.5.
Hunter Jones is completely unready to be a NHL goalie.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Yeah, Kulikov has been great for his role this year, we will be seeing rotations throughout the lineup from here on out to get players rested stay as fresh as possible for the playoffs.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You better watch yourself saying those words.

We're probably fine. I think if Anson Carter picked a fight with an HFBoards user, that would probably be the end of his career, so I don't think he'd risk it.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

ShortPeter6

Feb 8, 2022
What's the point of having Kulikov come out when Merrill and Goligoski have both been awful
Absolutely, ultimately Goligoski should be the man out. He is so slow and weak these days. Kulikov better be banged up or this is the dumbest decision I have seen.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
As he settles in and gets more familiar with the team systems and players, I am getting to like this guy. He is clearly tough and strong out there, but he also has a good stick, and is very good covering out in front of the net, which IMO is a weakness of the Wild D. He's not got great feet, so you don't want him taking over from Brodin in covering McDavid, but he gets to corners in reasonable time, and seems reasonably effective there, unlike some of our D. Not the greatest puck handler, but at least knows his limitations. We don't need another giveaway machine.
Overall, i am impressed. The fact that he can fight is WAY down the list of things that he can do that makes the team better, but I'd rather have him fight than Dumba, or Kulikov(that was ugly).

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Hope we keep him but we have 7 d-man signed next year already (including Addison)
Makes me think Guerin has started talking about extensions with either Dumba or Middleton or both, and one of them will require a raise greater than the Wild can afford. That's just my own speculation, but I have to think they'll move someone. They could run 8 d-men, but I've only rarely seen teams do it.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
From what i have soon so far (and it's really, really early), I'd rather have Middleton than Merill for sure, Maybe(probably?) Goligoski as soon as next year, and Addison. Kulikov and he are about equal in value if the both have the same cap hit. Kulikov is better with the puck, Middleton more physical and better D...somewhat of a wash, but I think Middleton might be a better fit.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Wild fans, Sharks fan here wanting to know how are you liking Middleton thus far? Saw he scored a goal last night which is a nice bonus with the other things he brings on the ice. My sense is that he was always given too much credited for being big and physical and not enough for his sound defense/positioning and simple but effective outlet passes.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Wild fans, Sharks fan here wanting to know how are you liking Middleton thus far? Saw he scored a goal last night which is a nice bonus with the other things he brings on the ice. My sense is that he was always given too much credited for being big and physical and not enough for his sound defense/positioning and simple but effective outlet passes.
I think he's been getting better each game. He started off with us by falling over a few times and throwing the puck off the boards haphazardly to break it out. Since then, he's gotten physical, played really good defense, has started making those little outlet passes, and is even showing a willingness to occasionally jump up into the play. I'm liking him quite a lot!

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
He has been quite solid and brings a good steady defensive game, pretty much exactly what we needed on the back end. You can tell he is getting more comfortable with the team as well as he has been jumping up in the play more recently as Evason preaches. Very happy to have him and hope he sticks around.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Glad to hear. He jumped into the play a surprising amount with the Sharks so glad to hear that is part of the scheme in MIN.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Glad to hear. He jumped into the play a surprising amount with the Sharks so glad to hear that is part of the scheme in MIN.
I don't think Guerin would've wanted him if he didn't think he could jump in offensively.

Even Benn tries to do so when he plays, and he's terrible at it... which is one of the many reasons we don't want him playing.

Reactions: Nino Noderreiter

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wait...this guy is a rookie?
And Guerin would rather have Goligoski than him?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00